Author Topic: Cooper family  (Read 15997 times)

Offline Madrabbit

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cooper family
« on: Monday 26 July 10 08:11 BST (UK) »
Hi

Trying to trace the Cooper family, they spread out from Dublin at various points to Kildare and Wicklow. With the limited imagination that is the foundation stone of my family the names tend to alternate between William and Charles. Have reached c.1720, Charles married a girl called Mary and they had a son William born/baptised on 31.10.1742.

Thanks x

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Cooper family
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 July 10 08:51 BST (UK) »
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Mr J T Arthur

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 July 10 20:57 BST (UK) »
Might there be any connection with Charles Cooper of Deal Grove who lived there at  the time of GV (1852) which is in the townland of Calverstown Little in the parish of Davidstown. He held over 130 acres of land leased from Robert H Borrowes plus 38 acres of bogland in turbary from same.

I believe he died circa 1865 and his wife and children emigrated to New Zealand.

J.T.A.

Offline Madrabbit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 July 10 21:07 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thanks for the info, I will have a look. A lot of the family seems to have emigrated in the mid to late 1800's, some to the USA and some to England (as my great grandfather did at the age of about 20). I know that my great great grandfather was a ploughman during the potato famine and he and my great great grandmother emigrated to the US, leaving the children behind presumably with relatives.

I can't begin to imagine what it must have been like  :-[

Offline Mr J T Arthur

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 July 10 21:18 BST (UK) »
This Charles Cooper would have not been badly off, possibly the landlord's agent and Deal Grove still in occupation today was a substantial property.

J.T.A.

Offline Madrabbit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 26 July 10 21:39 BST (UK) »
That's very interesting, thank you. The Scottish side of the family have been easy as they were the royal family but the Irish side is proving to be more confusing. Any possible link is gratefully received  :)

Offline Madrabbit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Starting again.....
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 28 July 10 07:57 BST (UK) »
Have gone wrong somewhere so I'm starting over........ ::)

My Great Grandfather, William Cooper was born in Newbridge on 20/2/1855. He married a woman called Annie Buglass of Berwick upon Tweed after he moved to England. William had a brother called Charles born 10/5/1852 who married  Catherine Gibbons, they then emigrated to Ohio USA.

Their mother and father were Charles Cooper born 1802 (Ireland) and Bedelia Bridget Stacey (of North Petherton Somerset). They also emigrated to Ohio.

Any links would be great  :)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 28 July 10 08:22 BST (UK) »
Not sure where you think you've 'gone wrong' but starting yet another thread for Cooper family will probably just cause more confusion so I've merged your latest post with the existing Cooper thread on Kildare board and am giving a link to the thread on Dublin board-
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,470426.msg3304496.html#msg3304496

It would help if you could explain the problem so that we don't duplicate work already done.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Madrabbit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 28 July 10 16:18 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I seem to be getting very confused here!

Right, I've got to Charles and Bedelia and that I am sure of. Charles had a brother called William born 1791, their father was William Cooper  born 29/7/1763 (in Dublin I think) and their mother Margaret Elliot born 15/12/1764 (Drogheda Co Louth).

I think I have the two previous generations; William Cooper born 31.10.1742 in Donaghmore and his wife Eleanor born in Co. Wicklow. Finally Charles Cooper and his wife Mary but I have no dates for these and these are the two generations I am really unsure whether I have them right.

Thank you and sorry if I've messed you about  :)