Author Topic: Antone Unger - Lithuania  (Read 1282 times)

Offline canuckmom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Antone Unger - Lithuania
« on: Wednesday 28 July 10 16:10 BST (UK) »
Searching for my Great Grandfather, born in Lithuania - have no specific information. Only papers on file are his immigration to Canada in 1911 and marriage to my Great Grandmother, Marcela Snieckus in 1913.
I've searched other family research sites, and have had no luck in finding any "Unger" relations. I know that the last name may have been changed upon arrival to Canada from "Ungeritis" to "Unger". I have information on my Great Grandmother, she was born in Vilnus, Lithuania and I know they came to Canada together, married in British Columbia, but before that, I'm a bit lost.

Anyone have suggestions, help?

Thanks so much,
Laura  :)

Offline kaja

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Member
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Antone Unger - Lithuania
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 08 August 10 18:11 BST (UK) »
I've searched other family research sites, and have had no luck in finding any "Unger" relations. I know that the last name may have been changed upon arrival to Canada from "Ungeritis" to "Unger".

hi,
have you been to JewishGen. They have a database for Lithuania and in it ''Unger'' with other variations.

Dawson,    Carruthers,     Lawson,     Robinson,
Elliott,  Keily,  Adams,  Jolly/Jolley,  Wilson,  Hills,  Spearing,  Bowe.

Northumberland and Durham  [Gateshead, Washington,
Newcastle-upon-Tyne]

Offline canuckmom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 08 August 10 18:58 BST (UK) »
He was not Jewish, but Catholic. I did look and couldn't find anything, but thank you for the website. I did not know of that one.

Offline Bluebird Research

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 August 10 22:08 BST (UK) »
Lithuanian research is quite feasible but you have to be sure of where the family comes from to make a start. I would be quite nervous about the idea of the family coming from Vilnius unless you are confident they were city-dwellers; I wonder whether the Imperial Russian province of Wilno / Vilna is meant - if so, this covers a large area, by no means all of which is in today's Lithuania.

Is it possible to find passenger lists or any other documents among Canadian sources which might confirm / alter the idea that the family came from Vilnius itself?

If the family did come from Vilnius, there are of course a number of Roman Catholic parishes in the city in which they may have been resident, which could complicate research.

Gt gf's first name would of course have been Antonas prior to emigration.
16 gt gt gps: Rigden, Turner, Keen, Taylor, Harnett, Foad, Ashby, Nutten, Moore, Anderson, ?, Finch, Alexander, Nicholls, Eason, West: all born east of the Medway

Research interests:
East Kent...