Author Topic: IRONS and GROOMBRIDGE, Dover/Maidstone lookup, please  (Read 2793 times)

Offline Frosty

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
IRONS and GROOMBRIDGE, Dover/Maidstone lookup, please
« on: Wednesday 28 July 10 17:44 BST (UK) »
Hi, am looking for the family of Mary J. IRONS, born in Dover around 1861.  She marries George GROOMBRIDGE, born around the same time.  They marry in Maidstone in June 1912.  Any info on either family would be of great interest to me, from any census up to 1911.

Any help much appreciated!

Frosty.
West - Derbyshire, Staffs - Frost - Derbyshire, Staffs -Salmon - Kent, Canada - Severn - Derbyshire, Sheffield - Cary Williams - Kent - Taylor-Harden - Staffs - Berresford - Derbys - Dennis - Derbys/Staffs - Tibbert- Nthhnts - Blackham - Derbys - Slade - Bucks
Dewberry - Nthhnts/Loughborough - Barron - Cornwall - Hunkin - Cornwall

Offline grandarog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Original Ancestor
    • View Profile
Re: IRONS and GROOMBRIDGE, Dover/Maidstone lookup, please
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 July 10 21:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Frosty, :)
               There doesnt seem to be anything for Mary J between 1871 and 1911 except this. Which does not show Dover as POB so may not be your Mary .   She is shown living with her Sister  in Gillingham much later , Single aged 48

1871 at Paget Street Gillingham Kent
RG number:RG10
Piece:907
Folio:113
Page:4

IRONS, Robert Head M 36  Kent
IRONS, Elizabeth A Wife F 34 Kent
IRONS, Elizabeth S Daughter F 12 Kent
 IRONS, Sarah A Daughter F 10 Kent
IRONS, Mary J Daughter F 8 Kent
 IRONS, William T Son M 6 Kent
BOTTLE, Harriet Niece F 16 Kent

There are numerous George Groombridge's but none seem to fit your requirements to wed.There is seemingly only one elegible widower age 49 who is Tonbridge bn and living.

As you know of the Marriage date the cert should give you there Fathers Christian name.

It helps folks if you include all the info you have when submitting a request!

Good Luck Rog :D ;D

WAGHORN/E
KENWARD
HARRIS
DIXON
MARSHALL
MERCER
CARE
FAGG
RUSSELL
WOODRUFF      

All these  Families were Born and Bred in Kent

Offline Frosty

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 29 July 10 13:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that, Rog,

So sorry - think I must have the wrong Mary J. - am transcribing deaths for BMD at the moment, and found a death for a Mary J. Groombridge in 1944 in Maidstone, aged 82.  Jumped to the conclusion that she may have been my husband's great grandmother. 

Looked for the birth of his grandmother Eileen GROOMBRIDGE in 1926 on BMD, where I found her mother's maiden name of IRONS, and a Mary J. IRONS marries a George GROOMBRIDGE in Maidstone, June 1912.

However, if Mary J. died in 1944 aged 82, then she married George in her 51st year, which makes it highly unlikely that she mothered Eileen 14 years later!!!

So, I have a definite surname of IRONS for Eileen GROOMBRIDGE's
mother, a knowledge that Eileen was born in Dover, but little else to go on.

Thanks for your trouble, Rog, will have another search around.

Best regards,
Frosty
West - Derbyshire, Staffs - Frost - Derbyshire, Staffs -Salmon - Kent, Canada - Severn - Derbyshire, Sheffield - Cary Williams - Kent - Taylor-Harden - Staffs - Berresford - Derbys - Dennis - Derbys/Staffs - Tibbert- Nthhnts - Blackham - Derbys - Slade - Bucks

Offline Frosty

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 29 July 10 15:53 BST (UK) »
Think I've found my George GROOMBRIDGE's family in the 1901 - 1851 censuses, but no luck with Mary Jane IRONS - will have to order their wedding cert. I fear!

Thanks for your interest,
Frosty

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 29 July 10 19:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Frost

What if Ms IRONS had been married before ie. her maiden name was IRONS but she wasn't IRONS in the marriage indexes?  Just thinking about all the widows from WW1 etc.?

Might be a complete shot in the dark but there is ....................

George A GROOMBRIDGE m Emily M KING 1923 Dover RD http://freebmd.rootsweb.com

Emily Minnie IRONS married Thomas Edward KING 1908 Dover RD http://freebmd.rootsweb.com

Thomas Edward KING died WW1 see http://www.doverwarmemorialproject.org.uk/Casualties/WWI/SurnamesK.htm

Maybe a shot in the dark but worth a thought?

Casalguidi :)

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Frosty

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 29 July 10 22:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Casalguidi - didn't consider that possibility!  Will look into it again.

Frosty

Offline Frosty

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 14 August 10 17:42 BST (UK) »
Just want to say thanyou, Casalguidi - you've come up trumps again!  Found out that it was indeed Emily Minnie's second marriage to George A Groombridge that I was after - many thanks for your help!

Frosty

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 14 August 10 20:02 BST (UK) »
Excellent news ;D
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Fragglerock

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 03 May 22 17:51 BST (UK) »
Hi my name is Sarah irons.
I have being doing some research on my family history and found out my great great great grandfather was called Robert Irons. Unfortunately he was found dead in the water at the harbour in Portsmouth and he left behind a wife. As to the other name I am unsure. Robert was a chemist in tynemouth he had a business with another man called Marr. Before Robert joined up the inquest said he died of accidental drowning. Does this sound familiar tou your good self.