Author Topic: WARCUP of Appleton Le Street  (Read 4530 times)

Offline Carole4

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
WARCUP of Appleton Le Street
« on: Friday 01 April 05 19:25 BST (UK) »
I am looking for information about John Warcup b. 11 Oct 1823 in Appleton Le Street, Yorkshire. Son of William & Anne [Spencley?]
Immigrated to Canada 1830.
 John married Ellen Hutchison & they had 16 children in Leeds, Magantic, Quebec.
William & Anne had at least 5 children between 1813 & 1828.
all in Appleton Le Street, Yorkshire.
Are their any other WARCUP researchers?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Regards,
Carole

ABBOTT of Raunds, Rushden, Northants
BIRD of Broughton, Northants
SMITH of Stanwick, Irchester, Kettering, Northants
YORKE of North Beds & Hargrave, Raunds, Northants

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline megantic

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: WARCUP of Appleton Le Street
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 April 05 22:28 BST (UK) »
Hello. My wife is descended from Thomas Warcup and Mary Jane Hutchison. From family sources, pre-internet; we know some things.
James Hutchison arrived in Quebec in 1831 from Colraine, Ireland.His wife was Mary Mcmillan from Antrim< Ireland. They came with four children. Mary Jane, born in 1824 [1825 canada census] married Thomas Warcup born in [1815 canada census]. Elizabeth born in 1826 married John Kinghorn. Ellen born 1828 [1829 canada census] married John Warcup born [1825 canada census]. James Hutchison and his son aged one year died from cholera shortly after arriving. Mary Mcmillan remarried Malcolm Smith and had three sons one of which is also an ancestor of my wife. My wife's father was born on the homestead of Thomas Warcup and this was referred to as Lemesurier. It is now part of St.Pierre de Broughton. On the census Thomas and John are neighbours. I have been to the farm of Thomas Warcup which is still operated by a direct descendant. It backs a mountaintop and the hills are long rolling. The canadian census is online for 1881 and 1901. From family history we know that Mary Mcmillan Hutchison was a spinner by trade and husband James was a weaver. My wife is interested in anything concerning William Warcup because we know little in that direction.

Offline Carole4

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 April 05 01:30 BST (UK) »
I am descended thru John Warcup who married Ellen.
Their daughter Jane Josephine was the 13th child of John & Ellen.
Jane married in New Hampshire on 10 Sep 1887.
Thomas was John's brother, I have a b'date of 02 Mar 1815 for him
I was trying to get information on William Warcup also.
I believe he may have been the son of
John Warcup born 1749 & Catherine Smith
they married 25 Apr 1769 Yorkshire, England.
This is not confirmed, that is why I was posting to try to get more info.

Carole

ABBOTT of Raunds, Rushden, Northants
BIRD of Broughton, Northants
SMITH of Stanwick, Irchester, Kettering, Northants
YORKE of North Beds & Hargrave, Raunds, Northants

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jim Warcup

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 November 18 23:00 GMT (UK) »
my Name is Jim Warcup. I've traced my grandfather(s)up to and thru John Warcup 1823-1902 and Ellen Hutchinson. His father was William 1793-1871 and Anne Stiriker. I'd found several references to Appleton Le St. There is a John Warcup who was christened in 1772 at Appleton Le St but then things stop. There are John Warcup(s) in Flamborough which isnt too far from Yorkshire. They go back to the 1600s.
My lineage comes from the oldest child of John and Ellen. - Walter Warcup 1849. He died young of Stomach Cancer at 39 in Lawrence, MA. One if his 2 children was Walter W. Warcup. He also ad a daughter Nellie. Walter W. Was a trolley operator in Pawtucket, RI. My Grandfather was the 3rd child of 6 - James Warren Warcup - 1914 who had 4 kids. My father was the 3rd of 4 - Bruce. Im James and have 2 kids - William and Jenalyn. Hope this helps for your search