Author Topic: McAdam and McKenna  (Read 965 times)

Offline BW252

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McAdam and McKenna
« on: Tuesday 03 August 10 12:11 BST (UK) »
Looking for help in tracing birth places and marriage of Michael McAdam and Catherine McKenna both born C1820 in Ireland and moved to Scotland (date not known).   First born is Mary born 1841 in Boness, Linlithgow.   Michael was a coal miner.   They went on to have another 8 children.   Michael died in 1888 in Bo'ness.   Michaels father was Patrick and his mother Margaret Clerk.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: McAdam and McKenna
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 August 10 12:15 BST (UK) »
The births for Michael and Catherine are well before the start of civil registration, so you would need to research parish records to find out about their families. To do this you will need to know the family religion and where they came from - i.e. townland, town or parish.

There's no single system of online details for Irish parish records, so your best bet is to check all Scottish sources to see if there is any detail on their places of birth, rather than just Ireland. Even knowing a county might be start if it's one of the ones covered by an existing website.

Also note that not all parishes have records back as far as the 1820s.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline BW252

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McAdam and McKenna
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 August 10 13:16 BST (UK) »
thanks for that.   Have checked all records that I can with no results for place of birth - all I get is Ireland.    No trace in Scotland of a marriage.