Author Topic: Looking for Mary Hoggarth  (Read 4854 times)

Offline penny1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Mary Hoggarth
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 24 July 12 17:55 BST (UK) »
I got the certificate years ago thinking it was her too, that was money well spent  :P

Thank you for your reply.  There is a death registered in 1844.  Do you believe that one is her or have you happened across her elsewhere?
Agnew Barker Nicholson Hobson McLaughlin Smith Desjardins

Offline penny1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 24 July 12 18:02 BST (UK) »
Penny,

Further to my last message, I see that Elizabeth Johnson, wife of Johnson Nicholson, according to census of 1851, was born in Kilham about 1804, in which case this is her burial, at Kilham.

Nicholson   1890   Page 103, No 818 - Jan 29 1890 - Burial of Elizabeth Nicholson of Kilham, aged 86 yrs.  J. Crosland, Curate  (source Kilham burials: http://yorkshireparishregisters.webs.com/parishregisters.htm)

On that census of 1851, the only child at home with Johnson Nicholson & his new wife Elizabeth Johnson, is an Ann Nicholson, which as you no doubt are aware was the child of John Nicholson and his wife Mary Hoggarth. (baptism 26 February 1841 at Kilham-same source Kilham Parish Registers-baptisms 1813 - 1891 from http://yorkshireparishregisters.webs.com/parishregisters.htm )

Tom

Thank you for the information Tom!  I am inclined to believe that the Mary Nicholson buried in Kilham in 1819 is Johnson's mother (although just my thought..) She seems to be somewhat of a mystery herself... I will check into the parish baptism records at the site you mentioned and see what I can find for Mary Hoggarth. Thank you kindly for your help!
penny
Agnew Barker Nicholson Hobson McLaughlin Smith Desjardins

Offline Edmund

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 24 July 12 18:15 BST (UK) »
I got the certificate years ago thinking it was her too, that was money well spent  :P

Thank you for your reply.  There is a death registered in 1844.  Do you believe that one is her or have you happened across her elsewhere?

I never got around to getting the 1844 one. His grandson Johnson married the year after his first wife passed away, so they didn't hang around long back then. Looks like these are the only two registered in the Driffield district.

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 24 July 12 20:52 BST (UK) »
Penny,

Sorry I cannot find anything about the burial of Mary, the first wife of Johnson Nicholson in 1844. If Edmund wants access to any BMD at Kilham then he is welcome to send me a PM and I will oblige. I also have some info on the Bulmer family at Burton Agnes from the same source above.

Tom

Offline Edmund

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 24 July 12 21:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks Tom, I have PDF transcripts of Kilham baptisms, marriages & burials in the 19th C, also Langtoft, Rudstone and Nafferton.
Bulmer's are a fairly recent addition (1919) .

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 26 July 12 14:12 BST (UK) »
Edmund,

Perhaps you could assist me then-there was a marriage on 8th July, 1875, at Helperthorpe, (Family Search) Esther Ward to William Martindale, her father Joseph, his father George. Esther & William emigrated to South Australia in 1877, passengers on board "Forfarshire", with William's brother Robert.

Esther Ward in the census of 1861, is shown in Helperthorpe, aged 12, a scholar, with her mother Elizabeth, born East Luttton/Sutton. I have had a look for the location of Helperthorpe as adjacent to either East Lutton/Sutton, any chance you could confirm which place it is?

Tom

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 26 July 12 14:34 BST (UK) »
Edmund,

Think I have solved it with combination of 1851 census & Genuki Luttons Ambo: The township comprises East and West Lutton (hence its name of Luttons Ambo or both Luttons), each of which forms a distinct manor, and the principal owners of the soil are Thomas Ness, Esq., lord of the manor of West Lutton; H. A. Cholmley, Esq., T. J. Bell, Esq., J. M. Mitchelson, Esq., and Lord Londesborough, lord of the manor of East Lutton. Mr. Noah Russell, Skipsea, has also some property here.

Tom