Author Topic: east hoathly  (Read 3510 times)

Offline jackiebush1960

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
east hoathly
« on: Wednesday 04 August 10 07:37 BST (UK) »
hi,can anyone check if there were any hylands in east hoathly up till about 1810,i have mine as coming from ringmer, but on a removal order it says east hoathly many thanks jackie

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: east hoathly
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 August 10 09:03 BST (UK) »
Hi
I can see a marriage for George Hylands to Alice Wright in East Hoathly in 1797.  There may be others.  What names are you looking for?
Andrea

Offline swebby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 August 10 12:11 BST (UK) »
No Hylands turn up on the 1785 Land Tax Records.

The following removal orders might prove interesting for you

William & Sarah Hyland removal from Ringmer to East Hoathly 26 Dec 1769
John & Rebecca Hylands, Sophie 10 mths removal from East Hoathly to Ringmer 14 Jul 1791
George & Ann Hyland removal from East Hoathly to Laughton 1 Mar 1757

Sean
Webb (Sussex), Barham (Sussex, Norfolk/Suffolk), Day (Somerset), Rowett(Somerset, Cornwall), White (Leighlinbridge), Deane (Roscommon), Quinn (Roscommon)

Offline jackiebush1960

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 August 10 12:44 BST (UK) »
hi,thankyou for the info and thnkyou for looking for me,i appreciate it,i already have  copies of the john and rebecca ones and they werent removed in the end,(they are my paternal line)im going to phone lewes office now and see if i can et the other two, many thanks  jackie

Offline Fairmeadow2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 03 March 11 11:08 GMT (UK) »
Dear Jackie

I think the 1791 removal order for John Hylands (c.1766-1845) and his wife Rebecca (c.1762-1854) was put into effect, as there are a string of Ringmer baptisms of their children from 1792 onwards. The elderly couple, and some of their family, are in Ringmer in 1841, and the Ringmer tithe award (1840) shows John & Rebecca amongst the very few ag labs to own their own property. It was sold about that time though (advertised in 27 Aug 1842 Sussex Agricultural Express).

Offline jackiebush1960

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 03 March 11 12:05 GMT (UK) »
thankyou fairweather, im realy trying to find the east hoathly link, they must have come from there to ringmer or y else were they going to be sent there  jackie

Offline Fairmeadow2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 03 March 11 15:10 GMT (UK) »
The early HYLANDS in Ringmer live in the section of the parish adjoining Laughton, and they oscillate between the two parishes. East Hoathly is immediately the other side of Laughton. Young people seem to have moved pretty freely between parishes, but of course were sent "home" as soon as they fell ill or got into any trouble, or if their families began to grow.

"Home" was of course usually the last parish in which you served a complete year before you married, so you might not actually think of it in that way.

My working assumption is that John HYLANDS was a son of George HYLANDS the younger, who mainly lived in Laughton. He figures in "Diary of a Georgian Shopkeeper" published most fully by OUP and written by the East Hoathly village shopkeeper of the 1750s/1760s, Thomas Turner.

Offline jackiebush1960

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 03 March 11 16:37 GMT (UK) »
you are right ,he was son of george and i do have a copy of that book,i have been tracing the family since 2003,i have the paperwork about the sheepstealer hylnds who was sent to tasmania,dont think he was actualy sent there but havent found out where he was instead,ie prison or prison hulk,  jackie

Offline Total

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 01 August 11 04:37 BST (UK) »
Hello there...just joined...hope this is the way to go. I would like to contact JackiBush regarding her posting on the HYLANDS family from Ringmere East Sussex. I am following this line and would like to share. Yours in hope. Jenny in Australia