Author Topic: St Bridget's Dublin  (Read 2537 times)

Offline pickersj

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
St Bridget's Dublin
« on: Wednesday 04 August 10 13:47 BST (UK) »
I've found my 2x gt grandfather Peter Curran's army records & his place of birth is the parish of St Bridget's, Dublin.  He enlisted 19 Aug 1858 aged 19.  Does anyone know if the baptisms are online please.
He settled in England after he was demobbed 26 Aug 1879.  On the 1881 census he is living with his widowed mother, Mary in Brandon, Durham.  Peter married Catherine Hastey & on the marriage certificate his father's name is James.
Peter disappears after the 1891 census & Catherine is with John Nicholson in 1901.
Thanks.
Palin  Whitwick Leics. Hucknall Notts
Parry Brymbo Denbighshire, Hanley Staffs, Hucknall Notts, Conisbrough & Denaby Yorks
Perry Denbighshire/Staffs/Yorkshire
Rushton Notts
Severn Notts
Straw Notts

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: St Bridget's Dublin
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 August 10 13:51 BST (UK) »
That would probably be the Civil Parish of St. Bridget's - do you know what religion he was ?

Church of Ireland parishes are generally the same as the Civil parish. RC parishes can be quite different areas  - and names.

Many Dublin City parish records are available (free) on : http://www.irishgenealogy.ie/  but I dont see anything for St. Bridget's. I'll if I can find out what part of the city that corresponds to.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 August 10 14:07 BST (UK) »
could he parish be St. Bride - rather than St. Bridget ?

This covers parts of Dublin South City - e.g. Bishop Street, Bride St, around Dublin Castle, George's St, Stephen's St etc

I dont see an RC or CofI parish of St. Bridget ... but the Church of Ireland on Bride Street was St. Bridget's, parish of St. Bride.

Some records for this parish are included in the IrishGenealogy website mentioned above - but they only seem to have marriages available.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline pickersj

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 06 August 10 14:25 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your help. I'm not sure what religion Peter was, but the rest of the family were protestants. Peter & Catharine were married at Durham Register Office.
Palin  Whitwick Leics. Hucknall Notts
Parry Brymbo Denbighshire, Hanley Staffs, Hucknall Notts, Conisbrough & Denaby Yorks
Perry Denbighshire/Staffs/Yorkshire
Rushton Notts
Severn Notts
Straw Notts