Author Topic: John Atlantic Stephenson  (Read 104741 times)

Offline brian.1948

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Atlantic Stephenson
« Reply #36 on: Friday 20 August 10 19:15 BST (UK) »
Buffers; many thanks for the information. I don't know what caused the dowturn in the family fortunes prior to John Atlantics appearance as a celebrity, however his nephew, my great grandfather must have turned his own fortunes around as I`m told he had his own bakery at some point and certainly did buy quite a bit of property in Low Fell, Gateshead. In fact I have oneof his rent collecting books, and, as a child I lived in two of the houses he had originally owned. I`m told that his wife Martha (Baillie) was the driving force behind him and that he was less successful following her death. Still digging, I`ll post anything I come up with.
Tracing ancestry on Stephenson side of the family; believed to be related to John Atlantic Stephenson. Other areas of interest on mothers side of the family (Anderson/Brown) from Birtley (Co.Durham) area.

Offline maggie360

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 20 August 10 21:16 BST (UK) »
Hello Brian, I have just finished the journal and am now looking into having it bound etc. Will let you know asap to sort out getting you a copy. My ggg grandmother was Catherine Mary Layton Stephenson and the journal was passed down via her daughter and again her family who then ended up in NZ. Will attempt to attach pictures for you and Buffers!

Offline maggie360

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 20 August 10 21:21 BST (UK) »
Sorry but error message keeps appearing. Will include photo later!

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 20 August 10 22:10 BST (UK) »
Hi

Information on attaching pictures - hopefully it will help

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,130922.0.html

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline brian.1948

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 20 August 10 22:48 BST (UK) »
Maggie, I'd be interested to see the photographs; I have some that have been in the family for years and must date to around 1860-1890's. it would be interesting to compare them.
Tracing ancestry on Stephenson side of the family; believed to be related to John Atlantic Stephenson. Other areas of interest on mothers side of the family (Anderson/Brown) from Birtley (Co.Durham) area.

Offline maggie360

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 20 August 10 23:33 BST (UK) »
First picture just before married to William Henry Hastings in 1860, second on their Golden Wedding in 1910.

Offline Buffers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 21 August 10 08:43 BST (UK) »
I've got a dramatic, posed photo of John Atlantic holding forth at a meeting in some ruins by the sea. Before I post it, I'd just like to check whether there's anybody who doesn't have it already. Anyone want it? I'd also like to know if anyone knows where it was taken.

Offline brian.1948

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Saturday 21 August 10 09:01 BST (UK) »
I don't think I've seen that Buffers; I would appreciate having a look at it, thanks.

Offline Buffers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Saturday 21 August 10 10:50 BST (UK) »
OK Brian, here it is. John atlantic is the one in the middle - white hair & beard, pointing at the camera, hat in his left hand. I can't remember where I got this - possibly downloaded from Newcastle Archives (free). There's also a photo of what is now called Low Peak House. This used to be the manager's house at the Alum works - very probably the house where John Stephenson Sr. lived with his family - the house where my wife's GG Grandfather, Albert Peak Stephenson was born. It's now a National Trust rentable cottage - a bit pricey.