Author Topic: John Atlantic Stephenson  (Read 104762 times)

Offline ALTZA53

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Atlantic Stephenson
« Reply #189 on: Thursday 28 July 11 11:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Valda,

Yes it was York.

Offline jon541

• RootsChat Member
  • William Preston M.R.C.S. (1823-1858)
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: Tuesday 02 August 11 22:20 BST (UK) »
Fascinating update Ian - thanks for that.

No, I was not aware of Harriot Carter's existence:  I'm not sure whether I am more surprised at another extra-marital relationship or that William chose to acknowledge all of his 'natural' children.  He certainly can't have been a very staid man given his ill-advised first marriage to a teenage bride many years his junior (who as we know subsequently tried to elope with his own younger brother and then cavorted with the Mayor on a stairwell!) and his eight children by three different women, half of whom were born illegitimately.

Regards,
Jon
Preston in Newcastle (1770-1850) ; Brumwell - Weardale and Newcastle ; Wylie (Newcastle 1800-1870) ; Slaughter (Sussex and South Shields 1750-1850) ; Barkas (Newcastle 1750-1850) ; Redshaw (Medomsley and Newcastle 1750-1850) ; Simpson (Hamsterley 1720-1820) ; Anderson (Ryton 1750-1850) ; Chilton (Darlington 1750-1920) ; Pattison (West Tanfield, Bellerby, Northallerton) ; Sanderson (Hamsterley and Stanhope (1750-1850)

Offline ALTZA53

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: Wednesday 03 August 11 01:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Jon & All,

Glad you found the details of benefit.

In reviewing Will I note I missed a page concerning his Business and other Assets.He states:
" If it can be done with Propriety, I should wish the Business I am concerned in on the Sandhill to be continued as hereto done with Mr Dobson and the profits arising there from divided amongst my three natural children Elizabeth Gordon, Jane and Anne Brumwell my Daughter Catherine and my Son William Brumwell. If Messers Brumell, Monkhouse and Brumwell ever get possession of White Heaps and Ferney Gill Lead Mines, I desire my Executors will divide the profits, if there should be any, amongst ..." (He left this to the children already mentioned but also included his Daughter Isabella Buckoll and natural Daughter Harriott Brumwell, share and share alike. By the Codicil John was also equally entitled on the same basis as his brother William).

The Executors were John Brumell of Kibblesworth Durham 'Gentleman' (his brother? note spelling difference) and John Stokoe of Newcastle 'Warehouseman'. Witnesses to the Will were Mr Dobson 'Druggist', Mr Bell 'Grocer' & Mr Daglish 'Druggist'. Witnesses to the Codicil and who made an Oath as to its validity were John Clayton 'Gentleman' and John Daglish 'Druggist'.

Re The mine above searched and found the following.

Whiteheaps mine is part of a wider complex that belongs to the Hunstanworth group of mines. Originally the mine was worked for lead and was owned by the London Lead Company from about 1715. The veins worked for lead were lean, however they did have a particularly high silver content, which made them workable enterprises. The London Lead Company was followed by a number of other companies, namely Easterby, Hall and Company (1807 - 1810) and the Derwent Mining Company (1810 - 1883) who further pursued lead ore. In the 19th century deep shafts (Whiteheaps Shafts and others) were sunk to the base of the Great Limestone for lead ore extraction. The Derwent Mining Company ceased its operations in 1883 and no further lead mining took place.
Ferneygill, Ramshaw, Red and White are the main veins that Whiteheaps worked. These were accessed by a number of shafts and adits on multiple levels right down to the base of the Great Limestone. Most of the site has been landscaped and many of the features are destroyed or buried including the adits. Old OS maps refer to Low Whiteheaps and High Whiteheaps.

Ian

Offline jon541

• RootsChat Member
  • William Preston M.R.C.S. (1823-1858)
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: Wednesday 03 August 11 19:33 BST (UK) »
John Brumell would be a cousin of William's (Wm's mother was Isabella nee Brumell).  I'm sure there is another family connection at some point between the Brumwells and the Brumells as you surmise.  I suspect John Brumell, gent., may be a son of the marriage of Hawdon Brumell, Wm's 1st cousin, and Dorothy Peareth since this branch were close to the Brumwells (e.g. "Brumwell, William son of Brumwell, John, barber surgeon with chandler is aged 20 years & upwards.  Deposition of Brumell, Hawdon, grocer of Newcastle, sworn before Blackett, John 7 Apr 1777.")

John Clayton is a Tyneside Great - he was the town clerk who oversaw the redevelopment of Newcastle in the 1830s and 40s under Dobson and Grainger and which left the town, now city, with the beautiful centre it has to this day.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Clayton_(town_clerk)

Regards,
Jon
Preston in Newcastle (1770-1850) ; Brumwell - Weardale and Newcastle ; Wylie (Newcastle 1800-1870) ; Slaughter (Sussex and South Shields 1750-1850) ; Barkas (Newcastle 1750-1850) ; Redshaw (Medomsley and Newcastle 1750-1850) ; Simpson (Hamsterley 1720-1820) ; Anderson (Ryton 1750-1850) ; Chilton (Darlington 1750-1920) ; Pattison (West Tanfield, Bellerby, Northallerton) ; Sanderson (Hamsterley and Stanhope (1750-1850)

Offline ALTZA53

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: Saturday 06 August 11 04:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jon for the info in the previous post. I think I saw somewhere,that there was a Clayton who had a business or residence next to William Brumwell at Sandhill.

Hi All,
Now a piece of info that I have recently come across that might add some weight to the Family being related to The George Stephenson as already eluded to as part of Maggie's and my Wifes respective Family histories. As previously mentioned (see page 14) JAS's daughter Isabella Alexandra Stephenson (from his 1st marriage to Jane French) married a Norwegian Carl Theodor Pihl in 1883. Carl's father was Oluf Andreas Lowold Phil and his father's brother Carl Abraham Pihl. It transpires that both brothers came to the UK around 1844 (Oulf had previously come to the UK abt 1838 as a 13 year old for a year), after completing their engineering studies at university , and worked for some years with Robert Stephenson (George's son), Oluf as a draftsman and designer and Carl as a civil engineer, relating to railways.

Carl was to become one of the main architects of Norway's railways and Oulf a leading Gas Station Network engineer and entrepreneur in Norway, he also was a member of the Supervisory Commission for the railroads up to 1854. Detailed references to them can be found in the following:

http://www.microsofttranslator.com/BV.aspx?ref=IE8Activity&a=http%3A%2F%2Fsnl.no%2F.nbl_biografi%2FOluf_Pihl%2Futdypning

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Abraham_Pihl

Ian

Offline ALTZA53

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: Tuesday 09 August 11 23:00 BST (UK) »
Having been able to make contact with the Norwegian relatives of the Pihl Family, I can advise that Carl & Isabella had 3 Children (1 daughter & 2 sons) all born in Oslo Norway. Marguerite Pihl born 14-10-1884, John Henry Pihl born 29-4-1890 & Fridtjof Pihl born 9-6-1896. In 1910 the family were living in Tinn Telemark Norway. Occupations were Carl Businessman Bookkeeper, Marguerite Nurse, John Technician. No occupation for Fridtjof and given his age would suggest still a Student. No other details were known.

Thanks to Per Auen Sveaas and Iver Neumann for assisting in providing this information.
Ian

Offline janrm

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Pre 1905 Union flag, "Sildesalaten"
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: Friday 12 August 11 04:33 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Found the Pihl-family in the Kristiania 1885-census:

http://www.digitalarkivet.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=3&filnamn=f80301&gardpostnr=1198&personpostnr=25824&merk=25824#ovre

They'd temporarily moved out of their house due to diptheria in the building....

Jan in Norway
"Doing Norway and a bit Sweden...!"

Offline ALTZA53

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: Friday 12 August 11 09:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan,

Thanks for providing the 1885 Census record, which again confirms our details re the two families are correct.

By clicking on the search button after Isabella's name I also got the 1900 Census record which includes the other children also.

http://digitalarkivet.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&filnamn=f00218&personpostnr=12186&merk=12186

And the 1910 Census

http://da.digitalarkivet.no/ft/person/pf01036531002974/

Regards
Ian

Offline KG 101

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: Thursday 18 August 11 18:01 BST (UK) »
Jon,

Your comment "I suspect John Brumell, gent., may be a son of the marriage of Hawdon Brumell, Wm's 1st cousin, and Dorothy Peareth since this branch were close to the Brumwells (e.g. "Brumwell, William son of Brumwell, John, barber surgeon with chandler is aged 20 years & upwards."  caught my attention.

My great grandfather was Henry Peareth Hawdon Brumell.  We don't have any information on his parents or siblings but I find the relationship of HAWDON Brumell and Dorothy PEARETH to be far too coincidental to be just a coincidence. 

I would be interested in any information that you have on Hawdon Brumell and Dorothy Peareth so that I can further investigate this possible (and quite likely) connection.

Thank you in advance,
Kathy