Author Topic: Help with Port Glasgow Cemetery Records  (Read 11881 times)

Offline bookworm53

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help with Port Glasgow Cemetery Records
« on: Sunday 08 August 10 19:06 BST (UK) »
Hope I am posting this in the right place.  I am new to this site.  I believe my gt grandfather, Benjamin Paterson sometimes known as Benjamin Fitzpatrick was buried in Port Glasgow Cemetery on 7 Dec 1915.  He actually died in Fife, as did his wife Ann McKenna Paterson in 1929, but it is possible he was buried with his father James Paterson who died in Glasgow in 1909 and his mother Sarah McKnight Paterson who died in 1891 also in Glasgow.

Would it be possible for anyone in the area to check the records to see if there are any Paterson records for this period?.  Benjamin's brothers and sisters were Jane, George, Margaret, Alexander, Harriet and James.  All except James were born in Ireland but travelled to Scotland in the 1870's.

Any information that could be found would be greatly appreciated and it would be good to know if they have headstones.   

Thank you for reading this

Bookworm
Flynn, Paterson, Fitzpatrick, Ivol, Hunter, Bannerman, McKnight, McKenna, Morrison, McKinley, Dunlop, Glendinning

Offline elaine447

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Port Glasgow Cemetery Records
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 08 August 10 20:13 BST (UK) »
Hi bookworm
Welcome to RootsChat
The Port Glasgow cemetery is bound to have loads of Patersons buried there
it is quite a common name in the area
but you could contact the main office in Greenock
the address is
Burial Grounds Officer
Greenock Crematorium
1 South Street
Greenock
telephone 01475 715658
as you know what date they died they may be able to give you
the plot and Lair number
if you manage to get them I dont mind taking a look to see if there is
a headstone for you
there are quite a few Patersons on the inverclyde BMD site
you may find some info on there occasionally you find some lair numbers
with the names
http://www.inverclyde.gov.uk/community-life-and-leisure/libraries/local-and-family-history/family-history/watt-library-births-marriages-deaths-index/
Elaine

Given,McCorkindale,Kennaway.Wylie,Cameron,Mooney,McCloskey,Black,
McCafferty,Gillespie,Jamieson,Keith,Adam,Quigley,Ainslie,
McHugh,Malone,Fisher,Burns,Gallacher,Nelson,Dunleavy,Brannan,
Docherty,McCluskey,Fitzpatrick,Barclay,Steele,King,Allison

Offline bookworm53

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 August 10 17:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Elaine

Thanks for your reply.  I have written to the Burial Grounds Officer today so hope to hear something in the not too distant future.  If I get any plot references I will let you know.

Best wishes

Judith
Flynn, Paterson, Fitzpatrick, Ivol, Hunter, Bannerman, McKnight, McKenna, Morrison, McKinley, Dunlop, Glendinning

Offline artysto

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 February 11 14:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bookworm,
What makes you so sure that your Benjamin PATERSON is the son of James Paterson and Sarah MCKNIGHT? Not being cheeky, just never heard of him.

I certainly have James PATERSON b1834 Ireland and married to Sarah MCKNIGHT b1836 Ireland. They had 6 children Jane 1863, George 1866, Margaret 1868, Alexander 1870, Harriet 1871 (all Ireland)and James 1877 (Lanark, Scotland). There is no record of a Benjamin in this family that I can find.
James died sometime after 1891 and his wife Sarah died 31 Dec 1891 in Gorbals, Glasgow. Their son James b1877 married and went on to roam the country having children born in Broughty Ferry and even as far north as Golspie, Sutherland.
Do you have evidence please of Benjamin being a son of James and Sarah so that I can amend my records.

Look forward to hearing from you.
All the best
Richard

Offline lanarkshire lassie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 21 February 11 16:13 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to Elaine for her earlier link.

I've had a look at the inverclyde link, and found a death for a John Coventry, who died in Buenos Aires in 1891, but originally from Port Glasgow.

Just have to see if he is one of my Coventry's!!

Thanks again.

Gail
McBride/Steele/McMaster/Tweed -County Antrim
Morrison-Lanarkshire/Edinburgh/Doune/Bo'ness
Coventry- Coatbridge/old monkland/ Kilmacolm/Port Glasgow/Ireland
Wylie- County Armagh/ Old Monkland.
Pender- Old Monkland.
Stirling- Old Monkland.

Offline bookworm53

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 21 February 11 20:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Richard

I have a copy of Benjamin Paterson's (Fitzpatrick's) marriage certificate to Ann McKenna which states that his father and mother are James Fitzpatrick and Sarah McKnight.  On this certificate their name is given as Fitzpatrick.  I think that when they lived in a Catholic area they were known as Fitzpatrick and when in a Protestant one as Paterson.

I found the rest of James and Sarah's children's birth records either in Irish or Scottish records but have never found official documentation for Bejamin's birth

Benjamin and Ann's daugter Agnes (my grandmother) was registered at birth as Fitzpatrick but married as Paterson.  It took me ages to find her birth record.  My father was her son John Flynn and she also had a son called Benjamin or Benny Flynn

Benjamin's death certificate gives his name as Paterson and his father and mother are named as James Paterson and Sarah McKnight. 

Are we related?  Do let me know and ask for further family details if required.

Best wishes

Judith

Offline highlandbluebelle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 22 February 11 12:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Judith

I believe you have been corresponding with Richard, who has been helping our family with its family history.  We were trying to find out what we could about my grandfather, James Paterson.  His grandfather was James Paterson married to Sarah McKnight.  Thus, making James and Sarah my great great grandfather and grandmother respectively.  I noted what you said about their surnames. Do you know anymore about the Fitzpatrick's and what part of Ireland they cam from?

I am sorry I do not know anything about Benjamin, thus far.

Kind Regards

Highlandbluebelle.

Offline bookworm53

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 22 February 11 16:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Highlandbluebelle

It seems that we are related as we share the same great great grandparents James and Sarah Paterson.

James was born around 1835 in Ireland and Sarah around 1837.  They married on 9th November 1858 at Portadown First Presbyterian Church Lurgan, Co Armagh and in 1864 lived in West Street, Portadown, Parish of Drumcree.  Sarah died on 31st December 1891 of cerebral haemorrhage at 119 Main Street, Gorbals, Glasgow.  Benjamin remarried on 20th December, 1893 in Abbotsford Place, Gorbals, Glasgow according to the rites of the Church of Scotland.  He died on 10th January 1909 of cerebral haemorrhage at 483 Aickenhead Road, Glasgow.

Benjamin's parents were Benjamin Paterson and Jeannie Brown and Sarah McKnight's parents were Robert McKnight and Sarah Dean.

I did receive a reply from the Portglasgow Cemetery but they could not find any of my relations buried there.  My late brother must have been on the wrong track when he was doing family history some years ago.

If you know any more about the Patersons please let me know.

Regards
Judith

Offline highlandbluebelle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 22 February 11 17:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Judith

All of this is so fascinating.  You already know about your great grandfather's siblings and one of them being James Paterson, who as far as I have found out already went to Dundee and married a woman called Annie Riley. He was a merchant dealer in Dundee and lived in the celubrious district of Broughty Ferry just outside of Dundee away from the grime, jute and industry.

They had four children: Beatrice, Harriet, Albert (my grandfather) and Orice. They are all dead now with Albert being the last to die in 1974.

Their father James Paterson (Benjamin's brother) also had a store in Golspie, Sutherland, Highlands of Scotland, which is how Albert met my Nana, as she lived in the next village five miles away called Brora.

Albert Riley Paterson (my frandfather) married my Nana, Isabella Macneil and they lived in Brora.  He was a man of not very good character and abandoned his wife and children, which is why we knew so little about the family history. Anyhow, my Nana and Albert had four children Anne Paterson (my Mum now deceased), Sarah Paterson, Isabel Paterson and James Paterson. My Nana and three other children are all alive and well.

Nana, Isabel and James still live in Brora. I think that makes you all cousins twice removed?

Can you explain why they would have changed their name from Fitzpatrick to Paterson? Would James Fitzpatrick have been catholic and would it have been a tactic to keep himself and his family safe? Do you know anything else about James Fitzpatrick and the family of Co. Armagh. I think we have discovered that James Fitzpatrick was a tailor.

Also, do you mind me asking you how old you are. My Aunt Isabel was wondering.

Kind Regards

Michelle

Kind TR