Author Topic: Owram Family - Now Complete(for now)  (Read 5315 times)

Offline woolley

• RootsChat Member
  • Gone but not Forgotten
    • View Profile
Owram Family - Now Complete(for now)
« on: Sunday 08 August 10 20:55 BST (UK) »
Link to what I thought was a completed topic.

www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=350507.msg3332008

Quotes from jandishon

I am curious about  the posting: Oram, Jenne Sturdevant (1825-1907) d/o Sam Sturdevant (pg. two by Shellyesq) Maybe  someone out there can help me out.  I am not related but was passing through Toledo, Oregon on Aug. 3rd, saw the cemetery sign so stopped and took a few photos to post on line.  I found the marker for Jennie P. Owram but it was broken and there was one name I couldn't read.  I will type what was on the marker and leave a blank for the name I couldn't read in hopes that someone out there can fill in the blank.
Owram, Jennie P.  born Nancy Phedora Cra_______  or Gra____
Oct. 24, 1824 - April 26, 1907
Married "Elder" Lester Starr
         Children:
   Lester Starr, Ina Starr Sturdevant
Married Joseph Owram
          Child:
Minnie Alice Owram Murray

It appears as though Joseph was the second husband.  What is a mystery to me that I hope I can clear up is what her actual birth name was.  I did find a listing of burials in the Toledo, Oregon cemetery that lists her as Jenne Sturdevant Oram (Oram is spelled differently than the marker) with father as Sam Sturdevant.  But the marker says her birth name was something elise

It was unfortunate that the plastic marker was broken.  I tried to clean out some of the dirt but didn't want to damage it further.  The posting said her father was Sturdevant  but I wonder if he adopted her or if her birth surname could have been her mothers surname.  According to the marker her birth name was Nancy Phedora
Cra___ or Gra__.  Hopefully we can deterine what that name actually was.

Another interesting thing is that her daughter from Lester Small was Ina Starr Sturdevant

Any thoughts on what the surname could be ?
Would be interesting to see if the marker could be over a 100 yrs old
Suffolk - Reynolds,Bishop,Peck,Burrows,Smith,Chittock,Gardner,Adams
Derbyshire - Woolley,Newton,Ratcliffe,Brown,Moore,Wright,Rowland,Leech,Leach
Norfolk - Chandler,Dixon, Moore, Bone, Payne
Notts - Ward,Walters,Browne,Norman,Lee
Yorks - Robinson,Owram, Beck, Micklethwaite
Scotland - McDowall
Ireland - Hassett

Offline merjones

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Owram Family
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 August 10 00:17 BST (UK) »
There is a Private Family Tree on Anc...try with this name and birthdate:

Nancy Phedora Crawford 
Birth:  1824

Arkwright, New York

In the 1830 Census there is a Mary Crawford and family and a Charles Crawford in Arkwright. :o
Davey ... Fowler ... Jones ... Morrow ...

Offline merjones

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 August 10 00:38 BST (UK) »
I found this on the usgenweb Lincoln County Oregon website.  Did they move to Oregon in 1895?

New arrivals: H R Sturdevant and Mrs J P Owram and families, May 16 1895 an excerpt from "The Lincoln County Leader"

Offline merjones

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 09 August 10 01:34 BST (UK) »
You can see them on the 1880 census - http://www.familysearch.org/ - but the surname is listed as "Ouram" - Joseph, Jennie P, Minnie A, and a sister in law, Mary Crawford (born Maine, widowed). They were resident in Berlin Heights, Erie, Ohio.

http://members.tripod.com/b_przybylski/LincolnCoObitsG.htm
 - Jennie's obituary is indexed here - she died in 1907.

http://members.tripod.com/b_przybylski/LincolnCoMarriage2.htm
 - also, Minnie Alice Owram married in 1905 to Hugh Murray.

Could the Mary Crawford referenced here be the CRAWFORD connection?  Is it possible Nancy Phedora Crawford is Jennie P. Owram?

Offline merjones

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 09 August 10 01:52 BST (UK) »
I found this excerpt from: Chapter 4 excerpt from Murray Loop. The Journey of an Oregon Family by Ted W. Cox

It has a complete record of Nancy Phedora Crawford who, if this book is accurate, acutally is Jennie P. Owram and it includes family history stories of Joseph Owram.

http://www.oldworldpublications.com/murrayloop/chapter4.htm

Hope this helps.   

Mary

Offline woolley

• RootsChat Member
  • Gone but not Forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 09 August 10 19:44 BST (UK) »
Hi merjones,

That was a brilliant bit of research and the book, well I can't believe it, what a fiesty character and a picture to boot.

Have PM,ed jandishon with the result.

Thanks once again
Suffolk - Reynolds,Bishop,Peck,Burrows,Smith,Chittock,Gardner,Adams
Derbyshire - Woolley,Newton,Ratcliffe,Brown,Moore,Wright,Rowland,Leech,Leach
Norfolk - Chandler,Dixon, Moore, Bone, Payne
Notts - Ward,Walters,Browne,Norman,Lee
Yorks - Robinson,Owram, Beck, Micklethwaite
Scotland - McDowall
Ireland - Hassett

Offline jandishon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 09 August 10 21:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks to all who responded to my post.  This book Murray Loop, chapter 4 was so interesting and we finally know about Nancy aka Jennie.  People ask why I venture into cemeteries and take photos at random to put on line with the site I volunteer with (United States Cemetery Project   http://www.uscemeteryproj.com/).  I guess you have to be a genealogist to understand.  Even though I just happened upon Nancy/Jennie's grave and never expected it to be anything more than taking a photo, I ended up so feeling like I was researching her family for my own genealogy  after reading the story of her life.  Thank you "merjones" for telling me about this book.

Offline Dlorah Hunt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 16 January 11 20:36 GMT (UK) »
Ah ha!.  I stumbled across the original thread "Looking for Joseph Owram in USA, Again" and posted my reply there even though the thread was closed because I didn't know how to find the new thread.  Now I find that others have discovered the wonderful book that details Joseph's history.  I've read the entire book and there is much, much more information on Joseph, (not to mention his descendants!).  The book is an excellent read.  In any case, this was my post to the closed thread, I found that much of the information is already posted to this thread, so I apologize in advance for the repetition.
Hello all.  I am one of the great-great-grand-daughters of Joseph Owram.  (*)

I could provide clarity on the questions raised in this discussion courtesy of an excellent family history, published about 2 years ago, called "Murray Loop: The Journey of an Oregon Family", by Ted Cox.  There are photographs of Joseph Owram and wonderful richly detailed stories of family history going all of the way back to Scotland and England (by way of Canada).  I will provide a link to the website for the book and I will try to get around to scanning some of the photos.  I have other photos in my personal collection of Minnie and her husband Hugh, my grandfather Dave Murray, and others if anyone is interested.  My mother is (Barbara) June Hunt (ne Wilken, ne Murray), Dave Murray's daughter, Minnie's grand-daughter, Joseph Owram's g-g-grand-daughter.  I haven't reexamined the photos after reading the book - there may be additional photos of Joseph that I didn't recognize at first.

http://www.oldworldpublications.com/murrayloop/

Here is an excerpt from Chapter 4 of "Murray Loop":

Joseph Owram grew up in Barnsley, England. A relatively small and somewhat frail child, he had three brothers and a sister. Joseph’s parents wanted to ensure their sons learned a trade, so in 1840 when Joseph was fourteen, his parents apprenticed him to a tailor. For seven years Joseph spent long hours sitting cross-legged on a bench, learning to sew instead of working in the out-of-doors he loved. In 1847 he turned twenty-one and finished his apprenticeship.

Free to earn his own living, Joseph decided to immigrate to the United States. As he prepared to leave England, he packed the scissors and tools vital to his trade, including a heavy black iron.13 The iron had a swinging door at the back so the hollow base could be filled with hot coals and emptied when the ashes cooled.

Since Joseph’s father had already visited the United States at least once looking for work, Joseph had some idea of what to expect when he arrived. Little is known about Joseph’s early years in the United States, since family records yield little information about how or where he lived. He married an Englishwoman named Harriet (Hattie) about 1854, and the two settled in Burlington Flats, New York, where they had two children, George and Alice.

Burlington Flats was roughly eight miles north of Plainfield, home to Nancy and Lester Starr. Both were small communities so it seems reasonable that the Starrs and Owrams knew each other. In describing Joseph and Jennie’s relationship, granddaughter Alice writes that the two had met while Joseph was still married to Hattie.

Joseph Owram’s history is a bit obscure between 1860 and 1866. At some point during these years he and Hattie separated, although they remained good friends. Both of them were living in Berlin Heights, Ohio, when Jennie Starr was living there, too. There aren’t any records tying Joseph directly to the free love movement, but his lifestyle fits well with their beliefs. His separation and continued friendship with Hattie, his vegetarian diet, and his devotion to the abolition of slavery set him apart from many men of his time. So did his choice of residence. Joseph’s idealism fit well with the goals and aims of free love. So he would have been drawn to Berlin Heights for many reasons.

(*) Moderator Comment:
Information about recent death removed.  Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline Dlorah Hunt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 16 January 11 21:14 GMT (UK) »
I noted with surprise the "woolley" mention of a photograph in reference to the website for "Murray Loop".  I double checked and none of the photos on the website are of Joseph Owram....both are of the Murray side of the family (David and Hugh)....Hugh Murray married Joseph's daughter Minnie.

There is a great photo of Joseph in the book, and several more chapters detailing his life.  From Berlin Heights they moved to Liberal, Missouri where Joseph died suddenly at 60 years of age.  Another excerpt from Chapter 4 provides detail regarding Joseph's role in support of the abolitionist movement.

"Tall grass, bushes and shrubs grew wild in one corner of the Owram farm, an area that remained basically ill kept while all other areas of the property and fences were kept clean and immaculate.  The Owrams secreted runaway slaves in a small cave hidden within this uncultured corner field.  The entrance to the cave lay hidden behind some brush near a fence corner, and was kept stocked with food, water, bedding, and necessities.

The night after the runaways arrived, a "conductor," or guide, would arrive at the farm to take the escaping souls across the border into Canada.

One day, Southern slave catchers came to the Owram farm looking for fugitive runaways.  One of the bounty hunters happened to notice the ill-kept corner property and asked...why this area lay undeveloped.  The Owrams explained that they liked to nurture birds and wildlife, so that one area lay fallow as a concession to nature.  This seemed to satisfy the bounty hunters' question, and the men did not investigate."

Also, regarding the reference to "free love", the author provides this explanation:

"The phrase free love in the 21st century is often associated with sexual experimentation and the counterculture of the 1960s, but the free love movement of the 1860s did not advocate short-term sexual relationships or multiple sexual partners.  The nineteenth-century term referred to relationships that were freely entered into and not regulated by law or religion; free love participants usually entered long-term monogamous relationships without the legal bonds of marriage." p 53 "The Murray Loop"

Other than that, there are passages in the book that describe Joseph's thinking as having been influenced by Emerson and the transcendentalist movement.  Essentially he was a philosopher/farmer/accountant.  His daughter Minnie is even more astounding....there ought to be a movie!