Author Topic: Titchener family - St.Leonards sussex  (Read 1671 times)

Offline syljun

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Titchener family - St.Leonards sussex
« on: Tuesday 10 August 10 12:12 BST (UK) »
Has anyone any information on Josephine Titchener (nee Owen) marr. Joseph Titchener 1874. Unusual name often put as Litchener in Census. 1901 Census has Josephine living at 15 Southwater Road. St.Leonards on Sea Widow.
I am interested in the Owen family and earlier Census has a birthplace as Dublin, Ireland which would be correct birthplace although various Census has a birthplace as Liverpool.
1871 Census has Josephine Owen  - Schoolmistress lodger living with Simon Simons (Watchmaker) and wife Ellen born Dublin. I believe Josephine and Ellen may be sisters and hoping to connect them.
As I cannot find a marr. of Ellen and Simon in U.K. I assume they married in Ireland.
I am having difficulty in connecting Josephine to Ellen and also parents. I find Irish research very difficult proving expensive. Any help to further research would be appreciated.
I know that Josephine had a brother Alfred who is a family connection, hence my research.
Many thanks, Syljun

Offline jmol17

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Titchener family - St.Leonards sussex
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 May 11 00:14 BST (UK) »
Hi, re the Owens of Dublin, I have done the Irish research and am related to them, also a Liverpool connection going back to 1735 - please contact.
Regards
J

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 May 11 08:20 BST (UK) »
Just a brief side thought from this and your earlier submission. 
As the parents were an Owen and a Maddocks (both Welsh names) would the father have been a serving soldier posted to Ireland and subject to other postings?  If so, you may be chasing Josephine's birth and those of any siblings all over the place, some being in the UK and some even abroad.  Is it also possible that Joseph Titchner was also in the military and this mobility meant they were still difficult to trace?  Roy G

Offline jmol17

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 May 11 21:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks Roy but I have the births of the Owen children inc Josephine but she was christened Jessie  all in Dublin. The Owens were from Liverpool Joseph Dodgson Owen and Sarah Ann Maddock but moved to Dublin shortly after  their marriage in 1846 where they lived at various addresses until Joseph died of Typhus in 1867.
Alfred was in the army and served in India and his next of kin was Jessie at the above address in St Leonards.
Thanks again for help and info.
J

Offline syljun

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 23 May 11 10:35 BST (UK) »
Hi J, Sorry I haven't contacted you before now but only now seen your message about Owen family.
Alfred Owen was my Mother's Stepfather and know about his life after India. Would love to have info. about his Parents as I could not get anywhere with Irish records beyond fact that Alfred's Army papers said born Dublin and Jessie his sister lived at 15 Southwater Road, Sussex. Syljun

Offline jmol17

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 23 May 11 14:51 BST (UK) »
Hi I have posted an update in personal messages
J