Author Topic: Fremantle - 240 South Terrace (photo)  (Read 4181 times)

Offline Dazey999

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Fremantle - 240 South Terrace (photo)
« on: Tuesday 10 August 10 16:24 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help please?  This photo is of 240 South Terrace, Fremantle, where my g-grandparents (Edward & Alice Pickett) lived 1906-1918ish.  My cousin in W Australia is keen to find out if the house is still there or, if not, where it once stood.  Any ideas please?  Thanks, Dazey

Offline CassT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Fremantle - 240 South Terrace (photo)
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 August 10 00:07 BST (UK) »
Hi

May I suggestion Google maps Street View,

regards

Cass

Offline Dazey999

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 August 10 07:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks Cass - Yes, I'd already tried that - walked the length of South Terrace and surrounding streets (probably the only way I ever will!!).  I was hoping that someone with local knowledge might know it - I'm told by my uncle that it was still there in the 50s but that was the last sighting!  It's probably been demolished.  It's just such an unusual looking place with that tower that I thought someone might recognise it.  Dazey

Offline George4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 August 10 09:18 BST (UK) »
Hi,

On Google maps, it appears that the property in question is between South and Gold Streets, and may have been incorporated with adjoining parcels of land to form new business premises.

If you check with the "City of Fremantle", they may have taken further photograph's of said property prior to demolition for historical reasons.
http://www.fremantle.wa.gov.au/Home

As Councils keep copies of all buildings plans, it might be possible to purchase the original drawing plans and build date of the home from them.

That would be a good in order to give you an idea of the size of the interior and exterior of home.

You can also check out Landgate in Midland and the staff there will perform a Historical search on that address, for the years that you want. That way you can establish exactly, the original owners, when it was occupied by your family and if it was demolished.
http://www.landgate.wa.gov.au/corporate.nsf

Try a historical search from as early as possible to current date or 1 to 2 years after the last recorded time they lived there.

Unfortunately, you have to go into Landgate in Midland to perform Historical searches and costs about $19

Hope this help you in your search.

Kind regards

George

Armitage- Hanbury Woodend- Staffordshire
Phillips Family

Offline Dazey999

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 August 10 11:56 BST (UK) »
That's really helpful information, thanks so much George.  I've emailed the photo to Fremantle Library (local history section) and will certainly try the City of Fremantle and Landgate too.  Just before I do though...

Is anyone able to confirm from electoral rolls that I've got the right house number for Edward & Alice Eliza Madeline Pickett, please?   Or perhaps a street directory would show which turnings off South Terrace it was between?  I guess it's quite likely that the numbering has changed over the last 100 years.

Thanks again for all the help. 

Dazey

Offline Eidde

• RootsChat Member
  • (no relation)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 11 August 10 13:26 BST (UK) »
They're at 100 South St, Sth Freo in 1910, then 240 South Terrace in 1916. They were in Canning Rd, East Freo in 1925, before/after a detour to Broome (also 1925).

Eddie

Offline Dazey999

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 11 August 10 13:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much Eddie - that's great.  Dazey

Offline George4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 12 August 10 09:58 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have tracked your family further back to 1901.

There is only one Edward Pickett, so he is easy to track.

However in some years, you will notice that Edward Pickett [Karridale] and Mrs A. Pickett [Boulder] are listed at a different address.

This might have been done, as he may have been working away from home for extended periods.

The man is the head of the home in those days and they only listed him as the occupier.

Please find attached a site that will picque your interest.

http://slwa.wa.gov.au/find/guides/wa_history/post_office_directories

Kind regards

George
Armitage- Hanbury Woodend- Staffordshire
Phillips Family

Offline Dazey999

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 12 August 10 16:50 BST (UK) »
That website will keep me busy for AGES - thanks very much indeed, George, for the link. 

And to all those who have helped - Fremantle City Library (Local History Department) have identified the house!!  Wow!!  They are pretty sure it is 10 Bolton Street (in East Fremantle).  In the early 1900s Bolton Street was known as Hill Street, and that part of East Fremantle was called Richmond.
I'd been given the wrong address (for which I apologise for any wasted time!)

THANK YOU one and all!! 

Dazey