Author Topic: James Hennessy from Galey to Australia, Jan 1861  (Read 19339 times)

Offline annmck

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Hennessy from Galey to Australia, Jan 1861
« on: Wednesday 11 August 10 11:45 BST (UK) »
Hello All,

James's NSW 1907 death cert. gives his birthplace as Co. Kerry, & his parents as James Hennessy & Mary, nee [unknown] :P
My sums & the (emigrant ship) passenger listed age both indicate 1837ish as his birthdate. The same list gives Gale (sic) as his birthplace. I know nothing else of his life pre arrival in Australia, where he farmed in the Hunter River region, at Hexham. He married Jane [nee Nally], daughter of John Nally & Catherine [nee Dogherty]  in 1870, and  they had 8 chn- Mary Ann, John Michael, Catherine Elizabeth, Margaret Ellen, Patrick James*, Honora Jane, & 2 more (names unknown) daughters* (*died in infancy). Any bells?
I don't know when his parents died, or whether he maintained contact with them or other Kerry connections - any sugg. as to relevant parish or other records to track down gratefully accepted...Galey seems rather vague... :-\

Devir/Dever/Diver, O'Donnell, Sweeney, Doherty/Dogherty/Docherty( DON), Flanagan (Newry, DOW), Hennessy (Ballybunion, KER), Nally (Ballinacarrick,WEM) Meer (Paradise, Ballynagard, CLA) McKinnon, McLeod, Beaton, McLennan, (Skye, inc. Raasay) Christie (Dunblane & Glasgow) Wilson, Swan, Orr, (Airdrie)  Marshall (Burnley LAN/Stockport CHS) Burcham, Chamberlain, Crisp, Cone, Hewitt, Everard, Williamson, Jermy, Wade (NFK/SFK) Bell (CUL) Baglee & var. (DUR)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: James Hennessy from Galey to Australia, Jan 1861
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 August 10 12:15 BST (UK) »
Gale/Galey does not ring any bells with me as a placename in Co. Kerry... maybe someone else will have an idea..  You can view the townland database for possible alternatives at : www.thecore.com/seanruad

Many parish records for the County (RC and CofI) are available (free) on http://www.irishgenealogy.ie/  Be aware that some parishes may not have early records.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline annclare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 August 10 20:31 BST (UK) »
Galey or Gayly parish according to Lewis Topographical Dictionary 1837 is  "in the barony of IRAGHTICONNOR, county of KERRY, and province of MUNSTER; 8½ miles (S. W. by S.) from Tarbert, on the river Gale; containing 2920 inhabitants. It comprises 12,381 staute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, a large portion of which is under pasture: along the river the land is of excellent quality. There are large tracts of bog in the parish, amounting to nearly two-fifths of its entire surface: about one-fifth only is under tillage. The parish is in the diocese of Ardfert and Aghadoe: the rectory is impropriate in A. Stoughton, Esq., and the vicarage forms part of the union of Aghavallin. The tithes, amounting to £203.1.6½. are payable in equal portions to the impropriator and the vicar. In the R. C. divisions it is partly in the district of Lisseltin."
Hope this is of use

annclare
Kerrisk, Healy, McGuire, Duggan - Kerry and US
Tuohy/Toohey,Gorman, Purcell, Fanning- Holycross Tipperary

Offline annclare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 August 10 20:38 BST (UK) »
This site suggests that RC records of Galey civil parish are to be found either in Ballybunion or Ballydonoghue parishes or spread between both.
See Link
http://homepage.eircom.net/~dinglemaps/genuki/KER/Galey/index.html

annclare

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 August 10 20:44 BST (UK) »
I was searching for a townland...  and it's a parish!

here's the location marked of one of the townlands in the civil parish to give an idea of it's location : Carhoonaknock East

If you search for the Civil parish Galey on the townland database you can see a list of the townlands included in it.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline annclare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 11 August 10 20:50 BST (UK) »
Had a quick look at  the Kerry RC parish records online at www.irishgenealogy.ie
I didn't find a baptism for a James Hennessy around 1837with parents James and Mary in either  Ballybunion or Ballydonohue parishes but there is a James Hennessy in Murhur an adjoining parish Bapt. 6 Dec 1839 parents James Hennessy Mary Sheahan Sponsors Michael Lawless Johanna Enright. This might be a possibility.
Regards
annclare

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 11 August 10 21:00 BST (UK) »
In Ryan's Irish Records he states that RC records for the civil parish of Galey would be in partly in Listowel, and part in Lisselton/Ballybunion. Listowel records start in about 1790, but those for Lisselton/Ballybunion only seem to begin in about 1840.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline Maellen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 11 August 10 21:19 BST (UK) »
My great grandmother was a Henchy from Ballybunion. The family also lived in Lisselton and Listowel. The name Henchy was originally Hennessy.   There is a listing for a baptism of James Hennessy in Ballybunion parish in 1837. The father is listed as John Hennessy and the mother as Mary Coughlin. The sponsor  was a Juliana Fleming.   We have several John Henchys in the family. Relatives did emigrate to Australia.
                                                    Maellen

Offline annclare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 11 August 10 21:19 BST (UK) »
Shane

You are quite correct as I didn't read the full entry at the G*****i site It states that "In the Roman Catholic church, by 1704 Galey was united with Lisselton, Killehenny and Kilconly to form the parish (eventually named) Ballybunnion and Ballydonohue. In 1832 the portion [of Galey civil parish] south of the Galey River (the townlands of Pollagh, Bedford, Shrone East, Shrone Middle, Shrone West, Derra East, Derra West and Inch Moor) was transferred to the parish of Listowel. In 1960 the Ballydonohue was seperated from Ballybunion to form an independant parish. The churches for the two parishes are located at Ballydonohue and Listowel."
So if James Hennessy lived in the area north of the Galey river it is likely that his baptism record doesn't exist.
So the Murhur entry is possibly a red herring??

annclare