Author Topic: preston military barracks 1911  (Read 4578 times)

Offline belcher33

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
preston military barracks 1911
« on: Thursday 12 August 10 21:10 BST (UK) »
Hi

Im looking for some help regarding the Preston Barracks. In 1911 on census my relative Frederick William Belcher was listed as being here.

He was b1888 louth, lincolnshire in 1901 census he was in Cheam, surrey.

Trying to find out som more info on the barracks and also what happened to him as not sure what to do next, i have checked on fmb for marriages but none in this area or around that i could confirm for sure i have checked on CWGC but he is not on there.

He is a relative i have only just discovered and found about the above info on him now im stuck any ideas on what to do next any help would be very grateful

Helen

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: preston military barracks 1911
« Reply #1 on: Friday 13 August 10 21:06 BST (UK) »
A chapter on the origins of Preston Barracks appears in "The Brighton Garrison 1793-1900" by R.C.Grant.  It does not continue into the 20th century, but it should provide you with some interesting background material and illustrations.

Re Frederick W Belcher.
Do I take it that you have a gut feeling that he married whilst at those Barracks?
I ask because the Barrracks were in Preston and as such, records of any births, Marriages & Deaths there were covered by the district of Steyning.  FreeBMD does not have all the Steyning records on their index, so your only alternative is to try to look at the records held centrally by the GRO.

You could also try to identify the regement he was with (Preston initially held just Artillery and Cavalry regiments) and either write to them, or try to find a copy of his enlistment papers which should give you his regimental number and through that you should find a pocket history.

Another interesting, but supplementary obsevation is about the Belchers of Louth.
In 50 years (1860-1910) there were only 2 Belcher entries in Louth on FreeBMD.
Frederick's birth and the marriage of Charles Henry Belcher to Sara Annie Birket in 1895. 
Would there be some sort of family connection?

Roy G

Offline belcher33

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 13 August 10 22:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Roy

Thank you so much for the information you have supplied. I have a question though how would i be able to get hold of enlistment papers? sorry im new to searching for army details and out of my comfort zone! I have just found out by another kind person that Frederick did indeed marry but this was 1910 so i presume before he enlisted but not sure,

As for Charles Henry Belcher i will see if he is connected in my tree anywhere if not thank you for your kind help very appreciated.

Helen

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 14 August 10 06:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Helen
Re Preston Barracks: 
Forgot to mention that I have a submission about the Barracks on another website (My Brighton & Hove, Places, Preston Barracks)  If you Google that, the general brief, illustrations and the many supporting comments may be quite sufficient for your needs.

Re Attrestation Papers:
Access to them really depends where in the world you are.  When I wanted my great grandfather's details, I was able to actually go to Kew armed just with basic details like full name, date of birth and a location to look him up.  These helped me find his army number and from then on, things quickly slotted into place.  Fortunately, mine was an unusual name, but be prepared for the false trails left by any other Frederic William Belchers. 
So to start, Google "Attestation Papers," and get onto the website of the National Archives and read what they have to say.

Re Frederick's wife
If you found Frederick in the Barracks in 1911, does that census show his wife was with him or nearby, or do you think had she been left elsewhere?
(Note:  Although the Barracks was in Preston (Steyning district) by 1911 the rapid urban expansion of Brighton meant that by then, the housing from one parish to the other was continuous) 
Roy G

Offline belcher33

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 15 August 10 07:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Roy

Thank you for your help, have managed to track down where Fredericks wife was she was in Brixton, London as a housemaid while he was in the barracks in Sussex.

Im not that far from Kew so i will have to plan a trip over there at some point at least i know where to go as for what to do is another story lol

anyway thank you for your help very kind

helen