Author Topic: Varey & Garnet Families  (Read 2001 times)

Offline jk22

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Hello. Am willing to share tree where appropriate!
    • View Profile
Varey & Garnet Families
« on: Sunday 15 August 10 22:56 BST (UK) »
Hello from Australia.

My great great grandfather was ROBERT GARNET VAREY and initial research by my late uncle had him born in 1809 in Monmouth, Wales.

I've not been able to find anything on his birth but do have his marriage and first child's certificates via GRO.  All emanate from Lancaster.  First wife Jane Hool.  On their marriage cert it gives Robert's father as 'John'; also on Robert's Victorian death registration in 1855.

Early settler records in Geelong, Victoria, Australia has RGV born as above, but cemetery records [1850's] for his family, in particular his daughter, Margaret b1840, say her "father ... late of Westmorland"??!  I saw this also in another record (narrative piece from the period). 

I found Vareys aplenty in Lancashire and Yorkshire so am wondering if my Robert Garnet Varey was merely born in Monmouth but maybe grew up in Lancs. amidst extended family??  I've not been able to have any certainty re his father, John. 

Any help would be wonderful,
Thanks
Julie
BOYD: Scotland
FERGUSON: Scotland
KEMP:  Wiltshire, Berkshire, Middlesex, Essex, England
GREEN & DEEVES:  Essex, Middlesex, Suffolk, England
MCPHERSON:  Sutherland-Highlands, Edinburgh, Scotland
MILES & MOWAT:  England, South Africa; Australia
GREATREX: England; South Australia
PERKINS:  Cornwall; South Australia
WATKINS: Wales

Offline Bryant

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Grandfather Bryant 1897
    • View Profile
Re: Varey & Garnet Families
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 August 10 06:56 BST (UK) »
Hello Julie

In 1841 Robert, Jane & Margaret are declared as not been born in the County ie Lancashire.....yet Margaret is only 10 months old and her Birth registration is Lancaster R.D........in theory that birth cert should declare where she was born!

However, the IGI's do have Robert Varey as marrying Jane Hool on the 29th Feb 1840 Lancaster, Lancs so you would think that Margaret's birth was not only registered in Lancaster but she was born there!

Friar Street, Lancaster, Lancashire
Robert Varey.......25....mason........N (not Lancs)
Jane........."..........30......................N
Margaret.."..........10 months.........N
Samuel Gilbert.....20....mason........N
---------
*1841 rule....ages are rounded down to nearest 5 after 15 years old (generally) ie 20-24=20, 25-29=25, 30-34=30 etc

who are the witnesses on the marriage of Robert Varey to Jane Hool?

Jane is of an age that she may have been married before?

Bryant

Researching names BRYANT (Camberwell), PASTERFIELD (Essex and all), RAY (Holborn/Islington areas back to Brentford), POWELL (Glouc & beyond?)
Fletcher (Glouc into Warwickshie into Lancs?), BUCKLEY (Chatham area), Watson (Chatham area).

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk