Author Topic: more german blood then we thought  (Read 788 times)

Offline sapphireblue67

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
more german blood then we thought
« on: Monday 16 August 10 13:21 BST (UK) »
Hi...I was wondering if someone could just point me in the right direction for some help as I have some very hard german searching ahead of me...I have looked at the site previously stated in searching for germans but I have not found anything of use

My great grandfather kind of was on a ship and when it reached australia he kinda FORGOT to get back on it...lol...anyhow we KNOW the german spelling of our surname as I found some letters to him written by HIS FATHER in 1904-1913...once after i had them translated I found names and addresses dotted throughout so I found siblings names and my gg grandfather name....here goes

My g grandfather...Ernst August William Homann/Homan (as now known) in germany..HOHMANN. born approx 1880 (naturalization in 1903 has him at 23 yrs old. Most of the Letters are from addresses at Braunschweig.  Fathers name Carl/Karl Hohmann mother Wihelmine.  Siblings in no order Hermann(9 girls, 1 boy), Karl jnr (2 sons, older son Hugo and entered the Foot Artillery in Morissburg last month, letter written 8.11.1912, younger son Karl jnrjnr volunteered to join the Braunschweiger Husaren) and Hugo with a possiblilty of Augusta.
In one of the letters Carl Snr states he entered his 70th year on the 24 or 29th October 1912 so that makes his birth year 1842.

At one stage Karl snr worked in the cemetery nursery  but was a construction worker type person (was injuried badly in a fall in a construction in 1901 damaged vertibrae and badly injured his leg
addresses are as follows
Nov 1910
Augusta in nov 1910 was in Wolfsberg
Hermann lived in Rheinland in Batrog near Essen ???
Karl Snr..Worker Karl Hohmann in Braunschweig Merudelgh 2 Hinterhaus

January 1912
Karl Hohmann Braunschweig Klosterstrasse 91

March 1913 sees Karl snr move from the Kaiserstrasse and now in Hintere Brudern 24 Braunschweig
Hermann back in Konigslutter and wanted to grow asparagus again

And all this just on one side of family...then I have to search for vinedressers in the southwest surname Vogt and Metz family from similar area...scary bit, I am starting to recognise some german words...LOL
Thanks in advance 8)
ENGLAND clarke Lincolnshire, Arthur?, Neighbour, Hardy, Holden, Ringer, Hill, GERMANY Hohmann Vogt, Auer, Metz, IRELAND Fitzgerald