Author Topic: Hounslow Barracks Soldier Information  (Read 3753 times)

Offline bna1975

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hounslow Barracks Soldier Information
« on: Monday 16 August 10 13:45 BST (UK) »
Hello

I am researching my family's history, and through the 1871 census have found that my Great*2 Grandfather Henry Allaway was enlisted as a Soldier residing at a Cavalry Barracks (which I presume to be Hounslow Barracks or in Census Heston District Cavalry Barracks).

Following up through to the 1881 census after this date I'm positive he was not in the army for long. I have since read about The Cardwell Reforms regarding short service thus giving me a possible reason, but I am wondering if anybody knows where I could find out more information regarding his possible/particular regiment, or any other information about the services at that particular time. I only have the information from the census I'm afraid, and I'd like to build up a bigger picture.

His father also at this time was enlisted as a soldier although he was 50 years old!

thank you for your time and reading this post.

B

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
Re: Hounslow Barracks Soldier Information
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 August 10 18:01 BST (UK) »
Hi,,,when and where was he born ? ;)
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bna1975

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hounslow Barracks Soldier Information
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 August 10 18:04 BST (UK) »
Hi

thanks for looking. He was born in Hillingdon, Middlesex in 1854 - the 1871 census says 1851 but I know that to be incorrect.

He was named Henry, but also went by the name William Henry Allaway.

B