Author Topic: Endowed Society School ?  (Read 3384 times)

Offline Mrs Dalloway

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Endowed Society School ?
« on: Tuesday 17 August 10 18:00 BST (UK) »
Both of my greatx3 grandparents were working as teachers in the Endowed Society School, at Elphin Co Roscommon, in 1849, according to Slater's Directory.

I was hoping to find some information on them in the National Archives so I emailed them.  This was the brief reply:

"With reference to your e-mail, the National Archives holds records of National Schools solely.Records of Endowed Schools would not be held."

Does anyone know where I could find any information on this school and it's teachers?  What was an Endowed Society School?

Thanks, Clarissabell

Offline Mrs Dalloway

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Endowed Society School ?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 August 10 19:34 BST (UK) »
As it was, I assume, a Church of Ireland school, I emailed the Librarian and Archivist at the
RCB Library who said: "I regret that we do not hold any records wghich would assist your search."

:-[

Offline rospat51

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 November 10 21:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Clarissabell,
Have just come across your post.
I am, I think ,a past pupil of the school you mention. The school was then known as Bishop Hodsons Grammar School and was established by Bishop Hodson, The Church of Ireland bishop of Elphin, for the education, for education of the boys of the town free gratis and for nothing depending on their means.
It was at one time a boarding school with pupils coming from Dublin and other distant places.
The school was mantained from a trust fund and the only stipulation in the Trust was that the headmaster had to be a member of the Church of Ireland.
In practice this meant the local vicar or parson. In my time this was Canon William Wynne Slack - a man who commanded the utmost respect of all who met him.
During my time there there were only three or four C of I pupils on the roll and shorly after the trust had to be altered to remove the stipulation regarding the headmaster being a member of the established Church and the first R . C. was appointed.
It is reputed that Oliver Goldsmith attended the school.
Bishop Hodson and his successors were renowned educationalists and the school enjoyed considerable respect and renown for many years.
Sadly the school was forced to join the mainstream in the seventies and thereafter lost its independence and was subhumed into a community school.
If you google it as Bishop Hodsons Grammar School you will get a lot more info.

You can p m me for more info.
Rospat51

Offline Mrs Dalloway

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 November 10 22:35 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much rospat 51.  I'll google the school immediately.  I have been stumped until now... and now to have a breakthrough.... wonderful!
Regards, Clarissabell