Author Topic: Raheenahoran  (Read 4217 times)

Offline zabelle51

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Raheenahoran
« on: Thursday 19 August 10 00:36 BST (UK) »
My ancestor Michael Tallent was from Raheenahoran. I am looking for the baptism in the RC Church of his daughters Julia and Agnes and any other children he may have had. Wife's name Mary Moran. Julia Tallent Married William O'Connell who is also from Laois in CT in 1855 and she was under 20 years old. I would love to have the marriage of Michael and Mary.

Thanks for any dates or information.
Isabelle

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Raheenahoran
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 August 10 11:36 BST (UK) »
Marvelous name Isabelle, in Scots Gaelic the "horan" bit would be Rowan.    Skoosh

Offline zabelle51

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 August 10 15:24 BST (UK) »
Yes most of my ancestors seem to come from wonderfully named Irish locations.

Offline irishrose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 August 10 12:01 BST (UK) »
Hi there,
I am not familiar with Raheenahoran but there are two townslands that might be of interest to you.      Raheendoran is on the Carlow border, about 3 miles outside Carlow town and Raheenahown is close to Luggacurren, in Laois.   Try the 1901 and 1911 census sites, and maybe the family name will turn up for you,  Good luck.   
Irishrose

Offline Mikeyt530

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 January 24 09:40 GMT (UK) »
Hello.
There is a possibility that your ancestor Michael Tallent is related to me. I give below details of my family connection to Co Laois. If you think we may be related I would be very pleased to receive any relative information you may have on the Tallent's that you would be happy to share. I look forward in hearing from you.

My great great grandfather, James Tallent was born in Maryborough, Co Laois (Queens County) in either 1818 or 1819. He married Margaret Deegan date and place unknown. In 1842 he joined the British army (54th Regiment of Foot) and moved to Colchester, Essex. After 21 years service he was discharged from the army in 1863. During these 21 years he had several children, Patrick (born 1845 – Mullingar, Co Westmeath), Edward (born 1847 – Portarlington, Co Laois), Mary Ann (born 1849 – Jersey, Channel Islands), John (born 1852 – Westbury, Wiltshire), James (born 1858 – Devonport, Devon), Michael (born 1860 – Colchester, Essex), Francis (born 1862 – Colchester, Essex), Joseph (born 1863 – Colchester, Essex) and Stephen (born 1865 – Maryborough, Co Laois). It is thought that after leaving the army he moved back to Ireland as his last child (Stephen) was born in Maryborough, Co Laois. No details are known of James address, parents, marriage date and location, or other relatives.

There was a John Tallent married to Susan Herbert living in Maryborough at the same time James and Margaret's last child was born (1865) in Maryborough. There is a possibility that John and Susan are related to James and Margaret.

John Tallent was born in Maryborough, Co Lais in 1835 married Susan Herbert on 3 September 1855 in Maryborough. They had several children, Tobias (born 1858 in Maryborough), James (born 1858 in Maryborough), Lucy (born 1858 in Maryborough), Michael (born 1864 in Portlaoise, married on 11 August 1885 in Maryborough to Ellen Dowling), Margaret (born 1866 in Maryborough), William (born 1869 in Maryborough, married on 10 May 1896 in Maryborough to Mary Doyle), Mary (born 1873 in Maryborough, married on 17 January 1900 in Maryborough to Peter Cahill) and John (married 10th September 1890 to Kate Devoy).

I am having difficulty finding out details of James Tallent and Margaret Deegan and their relatives, address, dates etc.

Mike Tallent

Offline Mikeyt530

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 02 January 24 10:00 GMT (UK) »
I have checked my records and have found the following details for Julia Tallent.
She was born 28th September 1834 at Rahine, Kilteal? Co Laois.
She married on 31st May 1855 at Middletown, Conneticut, USA to William Michael O'Connell.
She died on 4th July 1885 at Rockfall, Conneticut, USA aged 51.

You probably already have these details.

I do not have any details for Agnes.

Following from my previous message to you today (2nd Jan 2024) there may be a possibility that my great great grandfather James Tallent born 1818/1819 in Maryboroughm Co Laois father was Michael Tallent the same as your ancestor. I would be interested in your thoughts.

Mike Tallent

Offline zabelle51

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 03 January 24 01:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mikey,

My Michael Tallant and Mary Moran got married in Maryborough on January 11, 1831 so he can't be your James' father but he certainly could be a brother or a cousin. Have you done ancestry DNA? My DNA is all over the place, family tree, my heritage, ancestry, and living DNA.  My name is Isabelle Donahue Esteves, if we match well then it could be out tallant ancestors.

Offline Mikeyt530

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 03 January 24 09:16 GMT (UK) »
Hello Isabelle,

Many thanks for your reply and for the information on Michael Tallent and Mary Moran.

James and Michael could certainly be brothers.

I have done a DNA test with Ancestry and my DNA details are also on mylivingdna and gedmatch. I have had a quick search on all 3 but have not found your surname, this of course does not mean we are not related. If you check the DNA sites you are on you may find me as listed as Mike, Mike Tallent or Mikeyt530 as well as Edward and Edward Michael Tallent. If you do check your sites I would be interested to see if you find me. My full name is Edward Michael Tallent but was always known as Mike.

So far I am having difficulty in finding any ancestors for James Tallent including his birth date, parents, aunts, uncles etc. I have his birth year from his army records, unfortunately this does not include his next of kin.

Other relatives of mine from Ireland found using DNA matches (do not now yet what the exact relationship is at the moment) include:

Michael Tallent born 1834 Maryborough, Father: Michael Tallent, Mother Anne Walsh (no other details for his parents), died 25 Nov 1897 in Philadelphia, married Elizabeth Murphy born May 1841 Cork, Ireland  date and place of marriage unknown.

Margaret Tallent, born 1835 Maryborough, Father and mother as for Michael Tallent (above), died 1875 in Abbeyleix, Co Laois, Ireland, married Lewis Moore date and place of marriage unknown.

Ellen Tallent, born 1836 The Heath, Raheenahoran, father and mother as for Michael Tallent (above), died 14th March 1896 The Heath, Raheenahoran, married George Higgins 4th November 1858 at Maryborough.

I hope the above will be of interest. Please let me know if you should discover anything.

Mike

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 03 January 24 10:13 GMT (UK) »
Isabelle,

I know you have probably found the baptisms by now but I am just posting some links.  The names Julia and Judith were interchangeable, Johanna as well I think.

Julia/Judith

28 Sep 1834

https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000634501#page/79/mode/1up

Agnes

27 Feb 1832

https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000634501#page/52/mode/1up

I can't see any others but it might be worth going forward through the registers anyway.

https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0714

Debra  :D