Author Topic: Would this be my g-g-grandfather?  (Read 5922 times)

Offline Degeneratemoo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Would this be my g-g-grandfather?
« on: Thursday 19 August 10 09:55 BST (UK) »
My great-grandmother is Emily Selina Lowe (1882 - 1951), from the marriage certificate to my great-grandfather Charles Henry Lowe (~1869 - ~1932/33) her father is listed as Charles Adye Leonard, a machinist.

I've searched freeBMD and competed a free search on Ancestry.co.uk (I have no subscription at the moment) and I've only found two references to a Charles Adye Leonard, a record of marriage (1869) and a record of death (1897).

The only other Charles A. Lowe appears to have died in the 1950's so would surely be too old.

Is it fair to make the assumption that this may be my great-great-grandfather?  I'll order the certificates, but I don't want to waste too much money if it's not likely to be him.  I've not heard the name Adye before, so surely it's not too common!

If it is him, would there be a way to get his birth certificate, or am I into the parish records for that time period?

Thanks.

EDIT

Having looked again, there is another Charles A Lowe who died in 1942 in Staffordshire (more the area our family lived in), so if that was him and not the above Adye Lowe then he would have been in his 80's or 90's which is reasonable...  How to tell the correct one though...

EDIT AGAIN...

Thinking about it, George Lowe (father of Charles Henry Lowe) is listed as deceased on the marriage certificate whereas Charles Adye Leonard is not, and that is in 1918.  Of course it could have been an oversight but if Charles Adye was alive in 1918 then the Charles Adye who died in 1897 cannot be the correct one.

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
Re: Would this be my g-g-grandfather?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 August 10 10:26 BST (UK) »
I think you need to clarify who you are searching for.  You say that you have found two references to Charles Adye LEONARD but then you say the only other Charles A LOWE you have found .....

Is LOWE Emily's maiden name or LEONARD?

Perhaps you could give the full details from the marriage certificate to Charles Henry Lowe, ie where, when, full names and occupations, fathers and occupations and witnesses.

I couldn't find a marriage for an Emily Selina Leonard, but did find one for Emily Selina Lowe in Q3 1905 Coventry but this was to either a David Samuel Talor or a George Samuel Woolner.

If you haven't checked any census entries for the family you may find these of help.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 August 10 10:31 BST (UK) »
My great-grandmother is Emily Selina Lowe (1882 - 1951), from the marriage certificate to my great-grandfather Charles Henry Lowe (~1869 - ~1932/33) her father is listed as Charles Adye Leonard, a machinist.

Once again I am confused, sorry.  I have found a marriage for an Emily S Leonard to Thomas H Lowe in Q1 1918 Aston  6d 749, again it doesn't match the information you give .....
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline Degeneratemoo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 August 10 10:37 BST (UK) »
Ok,

Emily Selina Lowe nee Leonard (1882 - 1951) married Charles Henry Lowe (~1869 - ~1932/33) (though he is Thomas Henry Lowe on the marriage certificate, we're not sure why).

The father of Emily Selina is Charles Adye Leonard, this is the chap I'm currently after.

Details from the marriage certificate of Emily Selina Lowe nee Leonard and Charles Henry Lowe March 4th 1918:

Registration district: Aston, at St Saviours Church, Saltley, Birmingham

Thomas Henry Lowe (Age 49) (who is Charles Henry Lowe).  Bachelor. Fitter.  Father George Lowe (deceased), bricklayer.

Emily Selina Leonard (Age 36).  Spinster.  Father, Charles Adye Leonard, machinist.

As I say, I found a Charles Adye Leonard on freeBMD but he died in 1897, unless it's a mistake and they forgot to put deceased on the marriage certificate like they did with George Lowe then it can't be him.

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 August 10 10:51 BST (UK) »
We have to work from facts as are available and whether he was known by Charles or Thomas is a little irrelevant since he gave what might be his "official" name on his marriage certificate - the reason I couldn't find any details for Charles.

So given Emily's approximate date of birth around 1882 I can find some census entries to fit.

1901 60 Curtis Street, Swindon Wiltshire
Selina A Leonard Head Wid 55 Boarding House Keeper Own Account, At Home, Worc. Worcester
Emily S daur S 19 General Servant Domestic Wilts Swindon
Charles F Son 15 Lomomotive Fender Fitter (Apprentice) " "
Samuel Hulbert Boarder S 27 Railway Coach Painter Glos Forest of Dean
RG13; Piece:  1908; Folio:  40; Page:  19

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 19 August 10 10:56 BST (UK) »
This is looking like the right family - as the Dad was a Charles A. and a machinist

RG12 1585 123 18

Charles A 47  Machinist bn Malmesbury
Selina 46   bn Worcestor
George H 16   machinist bn Leveden WIlts
Martha 12       bn Levenden
Emily 10
Maud 7
Charles 5
Elizabeth 72  mother bn Malemesbury
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Barbara F

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 19 August 10 10:57 BST (UK) »
Hi

You need to check the ages at death with what you can find from the censuses.

In 1891 Charles A with wife Selina and children is in Swindon and is aged 47.

That makes this death the most likely, particularly as Mary has found that Selina is a widow in 1901.

Deaths Dec 1897   Leonard  Charles Adye  54  Highworth  5a 10

Barbara

Edit sorry Liz posts crossed!
Joy, Larkin, Twort, Baker, Whibley - Brenchley and Horsmonden area Kent
Fewell and Speller - Essex and London
Headington and Bateman - London
Feltwell - Norfolk and London
Lewin - India and NZ
Evan-Thomas - Wales and London
Purser and Cook - Hunts

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 19 August 10 11:00 BST (UK) »
4 Cromwell Road, Swindon, Wilts
Chas A Leonard Head M 47 Machinist Malmsbury, Wiltshire
Selina Wife M 46 Worcester Worcestershire
George H Son S 16 Machinist Swindon Wilts
Martha daur 12                 " "
Emily daur 10 Scholar " "
Maud " 7 " " "
Charles son 5 " " "
Elizabeth Leonard Mother Widow 72 Retired Tailoress Malmsbury Wiltshire
RG12; Piece:  1585; Folio  123; Page  18

I think this information will be of assistance to you in identifying Emily's family, you can search the 1881 census for yourself at www.familysearch.org - this is free, where you should find the parents and two eldest children at least.

Offline Degeneratemoo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 19 August 10 11:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for all your help!  Didn't realise that there were so many other children!