Author Topic: Greenfield/ Slack  (Read 4608 times)

Offline ab8it

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Greenfield/ Slack
« on: Thursday 19 August 10 19:24 BST (UK) »
I hope this is the right board.  I am looking for a marriage or other information about a William Greenfield (born about 1826 in Yorkshire) and an Ann Slack (born about 1828).  They had a child in Doncaster (Thomas Stanley Greenfield) in 1851 and another one Mary Ann in 1853.  I have located an Ann Slack from Doncaster, but several possible Williams from the area (specifically Ayrmin, Hook and Thorne).  I am hoping to find a marriage record that will give me more information about this couple.  They immigrated to Canada about 1855 (St. Marys, Perth, Ontario).  Thank You- Tom

Offline Hollander

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Greenfield/ Slack
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 August 10 19:46 BST (UK) »
Hi ab8it.

There would appear to have been a marriage between a William Greenfield and Ann Slack, July/Sept quarter of 1847, Sheffield Reg. District. Vol. 22 Page 461 refers.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Hollander

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 August 10 19:46 BST (UK) »

ETA
Error, amending above post.  :(
Hi ab8it.

There would appear to have been a marriage between a William Greenfield and Ann Slack, July/Sept quarter of 1847, Sheffield Reg. District. Vol. 22 Page 461 refers.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ab8it

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 August 10 02:58 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the info, Finbar. Was there any information on the parents of the groom, or is that something that was not necessarily recorded?  Thanks again, Tom

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 21 August 10 04:57 BST (UK) »
Hi I hope I can help you, as this looks like William and Ann on the 1851 Census

William Greenfield 24 occ Ag Lab b Arksey Yorkshire
Ann Greenfield      23 b Doncaster Yorks

Residing at Sandpit Key, Balby Road Doncaster.
Census Ref HO107/2347/296/23

Living next door is what appears to be Williams father another William! aged 59, b Lykehouse he is a Farmer of 34 acres.

In the 1841 William Jnr would appear to be in Scarborough, and his father? is a farmer at St Sepulchre Gate Without Doncaster, interestingly Ann and family live close by, as can be seen by the census refs, if you need a full spec, I am sure some kind sole will help out, as I now have to go and get on with my work!!

Census ref for Greenfield W HO107/1340/ 3/27 /17
Census ref for Slack  A        HO107/1340/ 2/35 / 20

Hope this makes sense, and helps you out!

Keyboard 86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ab8it

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 21 August 10 18:40 BST (UK) »
Fantastic.  Thank you Keyboard86.  I had dates but not places, besides Doncaster.  Now I can probably track down the right William.  My grandmother was Ada Greenfield and would be the grand daughter of this William.  Apparently the 1851 census was taken before the eldest Thomas Stanley Greenfield was born.  The family moved to Canada a few years afterward where my G-Grandfather William (III?) was born.  Thanks again! - Tom

Offline ankerpep_52

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 02 July 11 21:11 BST (UK) »
GREENFIELD--On the Ontario Marriages, 1801-1928, Thomas married Martha Sutherland.
 There is also a  Mary Ann  married in Perth County, on the same record.(married name not recorded.
  In the Burial records, there is a  Mary A Butters Greenfield, buried in Avonbank Presbyterian Cemetery, Perth County, Downie Township with a Reference # PH-806-9.
Butters may have been her Married name with maiden name at end.
   There may have been other siblings but would have to check the 1901 Census which I do not have access to.   Ankerpep_52
BOKOTA-Hampshire & Surrey/ SI(Y)MONDS-Kent, Ldn PAPANICOLAOU-Hampshire /HARTLEY- Derby&Ldn/ SMITH-Ldn/ COLE-Hants & Ldn/ CREED-Berks, Ldn, Oxfordshire/ BRADLEY, DOCWRA & LAND- Islington &Kent/  HUMPHERSTON-Ldn./ ALLEN-Ldn & Surrey/ DOWNEY & DAVIDSON & FITCHARD-NBL & Durham, HARTLEY-Montreal QC Canada
RASMUSSEN-Storring Arhus,& SORENSEN,& JENSEN- Veng,& Hjelmslev, Skanderborg Denmark/HANSEN-Fejo,Fuglse,Maribo,DK

Offline ab8it

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 02 July 11 23:53 BST (UK) »
Thank you Ankerpep_52

Yes, Mary Ann Butters Greenfield married John Butters before 1872.  Her brother (William Greenfield) was my G-Grandfather.  Her brother Thomas married Martha Sutherland 29 Jan 1884 at St. Mary's.  There is another Mary Ann (Ferguson) Wilson whom I can't track down, whose daughter married William, and who was probably buried in the same area.  Thanks again. 

Offline ankerpep_52

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 03 July 11 01:12 BST (UK) »
I'm a bit confused-Did Mary Ann Wilson's dhtr marry Wm Greenfield or was it Mary Ann Fergson's dhtr?  What was the dhtrs forename?
there are 3 other Wilsons in Avonbank Pres Cemetery, 1. Henry, 2. Jane and 3. Mary Murray
BUTTERS SURNAME- Mary R Facey, Mary A White ,Louisa (Bolton),& Marjorie M.(Lang) all buried in St Mary's Protestant cemetery, Perth County, Blanchard township.       
John Butters is also in Avonbank Cemetery, Perth County, Downie Township.

These records are open to the public under Ontario Cemetery Finding Aid
BOKOTA-Hampshire & Surrey/ SI(Y)MONDS-Kent, Ldn PAPANICOLAOU-Hampshire /HARTLEY- Derby&Ldn/ SMITH-Ldn/ COLE-Hants & Ldn/ CREED-Berks, Ldn, Oxfordshire/ BRADLEY, DOCWRA & LAND- Islington &Kent/  HUMPHERSTON-Ldn./ ALLEN-Ldn & Surrey/ DOWNEY & DAVIDSON & FITCHARD-NBL & Durham, HARTLEY-Montreal QC Canada
RASMUSSEN-Storring Arhus,& SORENSEN,& JENSEN- Veng,& Hjelmslev, Skanderborg Denmark/HANSEN-Fejo,Fuglse,Maribo,DK