Author Topic: church records  (Read 14968 times)

Offline murphy27

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
church records
« on: Thursday 19 August 10 20:30 BST (UK) »
Can anyone tell me the name of the nearest catholic church to Ballinaclash and if anyone know anything about the davis family   Richard Fanny children Mary ann, michael ,Fanny,SArah all in 1911 census living at BallinCLASH.  wILL BE VERY GRATFUL FOR ANY HELP

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: church records
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 August 10 20:38 BST (UK) »
Unless you are in Ireland and can visit the area (or the National  library) I would suggest following civil records initially, as the index to these is available onlne.

see the topic Introduction to Irish Records for details on the BMD Index, searching it, ordering certs etc

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 August 10 20:59 BST (UK) »
Ballinaclash, Co. Wicklow is right between the towns of Avoca and Rathdrum, which are both centres of RC parishes.

Records for the parish of Avoca are available in the National Library in Dublin on films Pos. 6476 and 6477. These  to cover records of baptisms from 1792 and marriages from about 1778.

Record for Rathdrum are on film Pos 6476 and cover baptisms from 1795, and marriages from 1816.

Like many of the RC films, they include details up to 1880.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 August 10 21:22 BST (UK) »
Is this your Davis family in the census returns?

Richard & Fanny Davis - 1911

Richard & Fanny Davis - 1901

The DED is Ballincaclash, but the townland, which is the more detailed location, is Cloneen.

The census return lists that they are married 20 years, so about 1891. A birth for one of their children would give the Fanny's maiden surname, which would help trace the marriage, and there's a good match for their daughter Fanny jnr in the right area :

Name: Fanny Davis
 Registration District: Rathdrum
 Event Type: Birth
 Quarter and Year: Jan - Mar 1900
 volume : 2 / page : 849

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline murphy27

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 August 10 21:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the info I will do that.  But  if you knoe how I can find out if there is or was a catholic church in Ballinaclash at about 1910 I am hoping to find a Christening

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 19 August 10 21:44 BST (UK) »
Ballinaclash is an Electoral district, not a town or townland.

The two nearest major towns, that are also centres of parishes, and therefore have parish churches, are Avoca and Rathdrum. These are where local baptisms would be recorded.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline murphy27

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 19 August 10 21:49 BST (UK) »
sorry Shane I did not read further down the page, Yes this is the right family but I could not find a birth cert for James so was hoping to find a babtismal certificate.  James is my dad now deceased and never spoke about his family and I never asked the questions when he was alive.  So we never knew his parents, brother  or sisters   where they married,  died  ,are buried. Whether we have cousins etc and are curious now its too late to ask as to where we came from !!  so I am off on a journey of discovery I hope.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 19 August 10 21:52 BST (UK) »
Did you try this one ?

Name: James Davis
 Registration District: Rathdrum
 Event Type: Birth
 Quarter and Year: Oct - Dec 1910
 volume : 2 /  page : 827

The registration district and year are correct.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline murphy27

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 19 August 10 21:54 BST (UK) »
Hi

Yes but no James davies born to a Richard and Fanny according to registry office