Author Topic: Thomas PENDRILL of Aberdylais, 18thC  (Read 5232 times)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Thomas PENDRILL of Aberdylais, 18thC
« on: Thursday 19 August 10 22:39 BST (UK) »
Hi, Everyone,
I think this might be my first venture on the Glamorgan board, but could I ask whether anyone has ever come across the family of a Thomas PENDRILL, some time in the 18thC perhaps, who might have been married to a woman with the HUGHS ? surname.  His parents may have been another Thomas PENDRILL who was maybe married to a woman called Dorothy, surname unknown.
I realise that this gives practically nothing to be going on with, but any help, however small, would be greatly appreciated.  Also, some kind of idea about where Aberdylais is/was in the 18thC.
According to more fairly shaky info, Thomas and ? HUGHS had the following children:
Richard PENDRILL of Garth, Pontardawe, Swansea, and Pentwrch, Ystradgynlais, and had a will proved at Brecon
Thomas PENDRILL "of the King's Kitchen"
John PENDRILL,  a medical doctor of Bath who married Margaret ROSS and had at least 7 children
William PENDRILL
and daughters Sarah, Elizabeth and Dorothy.

So, if anyone has come across Thomas in any of the Welsh PR's, I'd love to hear about it...
Very best wishes, keith

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Online Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas PENDRILL of Aberdylais, 18thC
« Reply #2 on: Friday 20 August 10 12:46 BST (UK) »
Only 3 male Pendrill Marriages in the Glam index up to 1837 (could not find any variation of spelling)

Marriages

Thomas Pendrill ~ Elizabeth Hughes  married 27 May 1752 all at Briton Ferry

Richard Pendrill (Cadoxton) ~ Cathrine Hopkins (Neath) 21 Oct 1787 in Neath (L) by Licence

Charles Pendrill ~ Sarah Thomas 17 Oct 1826 in Cadoxton Neath (WPL) Witness/Personal info/Licence

All Baptisms

Thomas Pendrill bapt 15 Apr 1753 Aberavon s/o Thomas and Elizabeth (no others on list for this couple)  This is also on LDS pilot site
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Martha Pendril bapt 15 Jan 1787 d/o Charles, no mother or occ. given, all at Swansea St Mary
Martha Pendrel bapt 10 Apr 1788 " "
Richard Pendrell bapt 19 Oct 1789 " "

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Elizabeth Pendrill bapt 16 Dec 1793 d/o John, no mother or occ. given all at Cadoxton Juxta Neath
Margaret Camp'll Pendrill bapt 23 Dec 1794 " "
Mary Pendrill bapt 8 July 1797 (address given as coedffrank?) CJ Neath..think it wld be Coedffranc

check link and nearby places if unsure of locality ~ http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/GLA/CadoxtonJuxtaNeath/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All Pendril/Pendrill all children of Richard & Catherine at Neath no occ. given

Jane bapt 9 Aug 1788
Thomas bapt 13 Dec 1789
Elizabeth bapt 16 Jan 1791
Catherine bapt 4 Oct 1792
Richard bapt 31 Aug 1794
John bapt 7 Aug 1796
Edward bapt 13 Jan 1799
Maria bapt 7 Nov 1802

Cas
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire
Davies/Roderick - Myddfai Carms
Lloyd/Jones - Denbigh/Salop
Thackwell/Thomas - Hereford/Monmouthshire
Shoemac/Squire/Keirle/Small - Somerset
Berry/Baggot/Lee/Clayton - Lancs
Yelland/Bray/Trethewey - Cornwall
Baggot/Hurley/Keaveny/Shiel/Flynn - Ireland

Offline maudarby

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 20 August 10 12:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Keith
CAS  just beat me too it as I had found some of the above info.
Another marriage at Cadoxton Juxta Neath.
Watkin Price of Kilybebill (Cilybebyll) & Dorothy Pendrill on 12th Oct 1797.
Burial of Dorothy Price 6th Dec 1843 widow age 75 at Cilybebyll. This makes her birth year c 1768

Maudarby

Online Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 20 August 10 13:27 BST (UK) »
(NLW) Nat library of Wales  holds the Marriage bonds index. Searchable index by surname, if you wish a copy you need to quote the marriage ref, and pay a fee.  http://isys.llgc.org.uk/  found the following there but have not looked for the others. You can also search the spouse to see if spinster/bach or widow etc.

PENDRILL, Thomas, bach, Cadoxton-by-Neath, GLA. 1752, May 27. At Briton Ferry. Elizabeth Hughes. B. 15/29.

Also on the Glam marriage index these 3 female Pendrill marriages.

Dorothy Pendrill (Cadoxton Neath) ~ Watkin Price (Kilybebill) 12 Oct 1797 at Cadoxton Neath (WPL) Witness/Personal info/License (this is also on LDS site with her death)

Jennet Pendrill (Baglan) ~ Jenkin Thomas (Aberavon) 29 Apr 1799 at Baglan (PBW) Personal info/Banns/Witness

Catherine Pendrill (Llanwiwg) ~ Evan Jones (Garth) 22 May 1831 at Llanwiwg (WL) Witness/License

Unusual for such a surname to be married with so many marriage license as that costs..maybe they were affluent??  Most were just married by banns in this area..unless there was money..just my thoughts.

Cas

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 20 August 10 20:58 BST (UK) »
Sorry, Everyone, I've been out all day...
Many thanks first of all to Osprey for sending me those excellent links for Aberdulais..!
And many thanks, Cas, for all those PENDRILL records, especially that 27th May 1752 marriage at Briton Ferry!
And, Maudarby, I'll PM you after this post to talk to you about that 1827 John PENDRILL will, as I've managed to decipher the names of his children and sons-in-law, and other people.
I've also googled and discovered something written by a John Hughes: "The Boscobel tracts, relating to the escape of Charles the Second after the battle of Worcester and his subsequent adventures"
In this he talks about a letter received by a John PENDEREL from Thomas PENDEREL of Aberdylais, in Glamorgan, in 1783.  It seems that Thomas was the grandson of Charles PENDEREL of Essington, Staffs, the third son of John of Boscobel.
The writer left a son, one of whose daughters is married to the Rev. G. Fisher, nephew to the late Bishop of Sarum.
In John PENDRILL's 1827 will the Rev. George Ingram FISHER is mentioned as being the husband of Elizabeth PENDRILL (m. 1825), one of John PENDRILL's many daughters.
So, perhaps we're getting closer to the truth,
Regards, keith

Online Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 20 August 10 21:31 BST (UK) »
oh well good luck!

Lewis - Breckonshire

Offline Lee Benoit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 15 December 21 12:02 GMT (UK) »
There is a grave of the Pendrill family in the graveyard of St. Cynog's Church in Ystradgynlais in the Upper Swansea Valley. This is a video of the grave.
https://youtu.be/oYiHCqEx8go

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 15 December 21 13:20 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much for sending this link, Lee...
Eleven years since this thread last had a posting on it, but wonderful to know that an eagle-eyed Rootschatter has spotted this excellent short video of that Pendrill memorial...
Keith