Author Topic: Book Wanted: Growing up in Wales by J Grenfell Hill  (Read 1956 times)

Offline Welsh Jen

• Dyfal donc a dyr yr garreg!
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Book Wanted: Growing up in Wales by J Grenfell Hill
« on: Sunday 03 April 05 23:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Rootschatters!

I am searching for an out of print book for my Mother. The book has information related to her paternal family history. I have a copy but would like to give my Mother a copy to keep, unfortunately I cannot find another anywhere.

The details are:
Author: Jeffrey Grenfell-Hill
Title: Growing up in Wales 1895 - 1939
ISBN: 1859023495
RRP £7.95 (now out of print)

If any of you know of a copy that is for sale please let me know
Thanks  ;)

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
Re: Book Wanted: Growing up in Wales by J Grenfell Hill
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 April 05 07:06 BST (UK) »
Hi,
It looks as if Barnes and Noble has it in stock in America, and ships it out within 24 hrs ( $23.95 US )
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=T28vW8EBGO&isbn=0846446138&itm=2

not in stock at Amazon UK , but it finds the book and you can put a request in the out of print  for it
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1859023495/qid=1112593723/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_0_2/202-6711829-3185458

Have you tried Dylan's second hand bookshop in Swansea? They may have it. But they tend to be expensive. I  paid 25 pounds for the out of print Mumbles past and present  published 1978 ,at Christmas time  when I was back( although it was signed by the author, so perhaps it wasn't a too bad of price that I paid).

I also found a book I'd be after for ages with them about ghost stories around the area. It's like a little treasure trove in that shop with some of the Welsh books they have.  I could have spent hour and hours in there :)  ( dusty  old books stacked up every which way, and couldn't really see a lot of them)  Very expensive though some of  the really old collectable ones though, hundreds of pounds , especially the first publications they have of Dylan Thomas.

My mum -in-law had drawn some of  the illustrations for a  ghost book on S Wales and had lost her copy many years ago ( out of print) but I found it in Dylans, so it was a nice present for her. Think I paid about about 12 pounds for it - published in the 80's.  Maybe worth a shot . If they don't have it , but you can also ask them to try and find it for you, they will try and track it down for you.

Anyway, it looks like Barnes and Noble have the book if you want to order it from America

:)
Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline Welsh Jen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 April 05 08:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks Cell  ;D I will give Dylan's a go & if I fail at that then I think it will be bought from the US.

Thanks again.
Jen  :D

Offline castro

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 April 05 09:43 BST (UK) »
try Advanced Book Exchange on the web.    www.abebooks.co.uk??   Very good source of second hand books here and abroad.
Castro

Offline Welsh Jen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 04 April 05 16:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that, that was infact my 2nd port of call after Gomer press.

Regards Jen  :D