Author Topic: Completed - Burial Index Jersey- Surname Restorick  (Read 7366 times)

Offline almitva

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Completed - Burial Index Jersey- Surname Restorick
« on: Friday 20 August 10 00:20 BST (UK) »
Can someone please help me I am trying to find the death of James Restorick he is on the 1861 Census with his family in St Helier but not on the 1871.   I know the family were still living there as his son George died on 25th January 1875 in St Helier, his elderly mother Sarah was still alive and would appreciate if her death also could be found.  Various spellings for the name are Restorick/Restarick/Restrick.

Thank you.

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Burial Index Jersey- Surname Restorick
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 August 10 12:05 BST (UK) »
Hi

James White Restorick died at 6:30AM on 13th Dec 1862 at 15, George St., St. Helier. He was 24 years old, died from typhus and John Restorick was present at the death.

Source: St. Helier deaths, Dec 1861 to May 1863, volume 15. page 69.

I then looked at the index for burials at Mont a L'Abbe cemetery.

Entry 365 shows "Mr Restorick buried on Thursday, Jan 1875 (no day), in the half burial place, north part of south grave. Minister Rev. Bibby, Funeral Director, Mr Picot". The plot is block F, plot 176, grave N2.

Entry 530 shows "Mrs Restouck on 16th Jan 1877. Funeral Director Mr S". The plot is again, block F, plot 176, grave N2.

Entry 719 shows "16th Dec 1862 - Mr James Restorick to there bury his son - half burial place north". The plot is block F, plot 176, grave N2.

I have copied the plot details and comments as is. Entry 719 is a little difficult to understand but is obviously the burial of James.

Stewart

Offline almitva

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 August 10 13:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Hill

Restorick Deaths-Jersey
I cant believe I have been trying to find these deaths for many years and you have come up trumps in such a short period of time, you have made my day, thank you!

Offline almitva

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 August 10 14:51 BST (UK) »

Restorick Death Channel Islands
Stewart has done a great job finding the above deaths for me and from the information received Entry 719 states Mr James Restorick to bury his son,  so from this I know James senior was still alive, in 1862 but not on the 1871 census, I also know his death is not recorded in England, can someone check deaths in Guernsey?  His sister Ann lived there and family were known to visit!

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 26 August 10 17:38 BST (UK) »
Hi again

I have more information for you!!

I have found the following deaths, all in St Helier:

James Restorick, Feb 1867 to May 1868, volume 19, page 31
John Restorick, Oct 1869 to Feb 1871, volume 21, page 61
Martha Restorick, Feb 1871 to Apr 1872,volume 22, page 24
George White Restorick, Nov 1873 to Mar 1875, volume 24, page 91
Sarah Restorick, Jul 1876 to Apr 1878, volume 26, page 28

Let me know if any of these interest you and if you want the details off the certificates. Unfortunately I won't be able to look them up until the end of next week.

Stewart

Offline almitva

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 26 August 10 23:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Stewart

I cant believe you have done it again, this is the rest of the family, how sad they are gone over a period of 10/11  years,  with the exception of my great grandfather William.  I would love to know whats on the certificates, and  I am intrigued as to who Martha is as I have no information on her!  I'm now wondering is she  James or John's wife, George's daughter!  I always thought the only marriage on Jersey was George White Restorick's.

I am so grateful to you for all your help and look forward to hearing from you.

Alice

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 02 September 10 13:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Alice

Here are the details! The Registrar's handwriting is terrible. I can see most things because I recognise the words, but some of the causes of death may be spelt incorrectly.

4:30AM, 10th Jun 1867 at 20 Sand St. St. Helier, James Restorick aged 66 years. He was a Boucher and died from Phrshisic(?). John  Restorick was present at the death.

11th Aug 1870 at 38, Pier Road, St. Helier, John Restorick aged 29 years 5 months. He was a Boulanger and died from Diarrhee. George Sinnatt was present at the death.

12th Jun 1871 at 8, Kensington Place, St. Helier, Martha Restorick, widow of John Pierce and wife of John Halett. She was 62 years and died from Maladiw ou Caur(?). Ann Burnett was present at the death.

26th Jan 1875 at Kensington St., George White Restorick aged 39 years. He died from Epicier Annerrisme de l'aorte(?). Meche de Keriah of 18 George St., was present at the death.

13th Jan 1877 at 2, Kensington St., Sarah White wife of James Restorick aged 87 years. She deid froom cancer a l'asophage and Kezia(?) Holmes of 18, George St., was present at the death.

Hope all that helps.

Stewart

Offline almitva

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 02 September 10 20:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Stewart

I cant thank you enough for all the information you have discovered for me. The mystery of Martha is solved from all of this, she was James senior's sister,  although the parish records in Hawkchurch, Devon state Robert Pearce(Pierce).  I know where Sand Street is and Kensiington Place is the General Hospital area and the family had lived at Pier Road but cant find George Street on the map.  Any ideas does it still exist?

Thank you again for your help.

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 02 September 10 20:59 BST (UK) »
It certainly doesn't exist today but I'll look on an old map and report back.

Stewart