Author Topic: The Hughes Swinyards of Kent  (Read 1053 times)

Offline RromHughes

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Hughes Swinyards of Kent
« on: Friday 20 August 10 19:10 BST (UK) »
Hello all,
I'm researching my Romani ancestors and have hit a brick wall, so wondered whether anyone has come across some of the same people in their own family histories.
My great great great grandmother, Jane Swinyard (formerly Jane Hughes of Faversham, Kent, born around 1796) apparently married William Henry Swinyard (also living in Faversham) some time in the 1820s, but despite searching through all sorts of possibilities I can't find any record of their marriage.  I know from other sources that the Romanichal people didn't always register marriages officially, and that their sons often used their father's and mother's surnames.  Two of Jane's and William's sons were Thomas Hughes Swinyard and George Hughes Swinyard.  My great great grandfather Stephen Hughes (born around 1820 in Faversham) lived with William and Jane Swinyard and eight other travellers (one other named Hughes, one named Catt and the others Swinyard or Hughes Swinyard) in 1841.
If anyone else has found a marriage date for Jane and William Swinyard or has any of these people in their family tree, I'd love to hear from them!
T'aven baxtale!