Author Topic: marriage - etat civil  (Read 2398 times)

Offline ancestrychaser

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
marriage - etat civil
« on: Friday 20 August 10 21:50 BST (UK) »
I have tried twice to obtain a marriage certificate for my great-great grandparents, Michael McCormick and Barbara McCormick (nee McKenzie) and I am getting nowhere. My great-great grandparents were married in Gore of Lochaber, Ottawa County, Quebec.  I do not have a date, and only have years between 1850 to 1852.  Michael was from Ireland and Barbara from Scotland.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: marriage - etat civil
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 August 10 02:31 BST (UK) »
The 1871 census for this couple in Lochaber Ottawa East shows their oldest child as 18 year old John which would give a marriage before 1853.

The 1861 census for this couple in Ottawa East shows 12 year old William b. Gore of Lochabar and then 9 year old John also born in the same location.  This would give a marriage around 1849.

Too bad the 1851 census for Lochabar Gore no longer exists.

Debbie

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 August 10 02:46 BST (UK) »
http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=oltmannd&id=I1511

This family on an online tree.  If I'm understanding it correctly Barbara was previously married to Trenton White and then married Michael McCormick.  Is William then the son of Trenton adopted into the family and assuming the surname McCormick and you're therefore looking for a marriage around 1852 for Michael McCormick and Barbara White?

Debbie

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 August 10 05:39 BST (UK) »
The Gore parish records in the Drouin collection only begin in 1854 and then jump to 1870 (C of E), and the Episcopal church run from 1837 to 1844, and for a nondescript Protestant church there is only the year 1873. No other records in Drouin, which is a pretty good indicator that other records no longer exist :-\

Cheers,
China
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Moore/Addison~New Brunswick
Jubb/Kerr~Mirfield~Halifax~Moffatt
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Offline ancestrychaser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 21 August 10 22:17 BST (UK) »
I would like to thank you both for the information.  It was very much appreciated, especially the fact that Barbara McKenzie may have been married prior to her marriage to Michael, I did not know that.  If you find any other information, I would really like it if you would share it with me.  Again, thank you so much.

Wendy

Offline ancestrychaser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 22 August 10 21:45 BST (UK) »
Hi:  I have another request......I would like to find out when Michael McCormick and Barbara McKenzie immigrated to Canada.  Does anybody know where I can apply to get a copy of their papers?  I still need their marriage certificate, too.

Wendy

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 23 August 10 00:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Wendy...I think you're not likely to get their marriage cert, as the church records don't seem to have survived. See my earlier post. In Quebec the church record was all you got, up until about 1996. Yes, 1996, not a typo. No civil registration till then.

Cheers,
China
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Moore/Addison~New Brunswick
Jubb/Kerr~Mirfield~Halifax~Moffatt
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Offline Sherry Campbell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 22 September 10 16:13 BST (UK) »
http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=oltmannd&id=I1511

This family on an online tree.  If I'm understanding it correctly Barbara was previously married to Trenton White and then married Michael McCormick.  Is William then the son of Trenton adopted into the family and assuming the surname McCormick and you're therefore looking for a marriage around 1852 for Michael McCormick and Barbara White?

Debbie

This Barbara McKenzie was never married to Trenton White unless she was in two different areas of Quebec for same census with two different families. lol. I gave David Oltmann all of the info on the Trenton White line so I'm not sure why he never changed that. But... Barbara McKenzie McCormick was only ever married to Michael McCormick... I was under the impression though that Michael McCormick may have married twice. Maybe William and John are both from a previous marriage.