Author Topic: Start with a Jewish Marriage 1903  (Read 13139 times)

Offline elin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Madisaurus Vex
    • View Profile
Re: Start with a Jewish Marriage 1903
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 31 August 10 15:39 BST (UK) »
Hello Justin,

I'll start off with my friends Mum who is very confused these days and  unable to tell us anything.  However she never knew anything about Sam and Sarah's past except for what I have told you, nor did her siblings.
Sue's Mum married a Catholic and was a bit outside the family and anyway the past just was not talked about.

Sam was not well remembered but was said not to be able to speak, read or write in  English at all.
Sarah never got past a bit of broken English and Sue thinks she would have been unlikely to write any.

The 1911 Census was written and signed in the same hand, Sue thinks that it is extrememly unlikely that it could have been filled in by Sam or Sarah.

The name Solomon only came up in the 1911 Census, we made the assumption that it must be Joe. The age given was about right and we had been unable to find a birth for Joe.

Sue has heard of all of the other children as her Mums siblings.  There is just the story that Celia was not Sam's natural child.
Foxwell (Wotton Under Edge and South Wales), Howell (Stroud & Wotton Under Edge), Jones (South Wales) Merrigan (Liverpool), Kelly (Liverpool) Titley (Lincolnshire and Staffordshire)  Hellier (Somerset and Monmouthshire)           All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline elin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Madisaurus Vex
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 31 August 10 15:46 BST (UK) »
sorry it wouldn't let me type anymore on the last post.

That is the correct marriage for Joe, I found it on Ancestry.  There was no mention of the names Hyman, Silverman or Goldman though and so that it very interesting!  :)I will have a look for his birth under combination of those names. 

Regarding the army records, I have not come up with anything there yet.  I have a thread on the WW1 board, entitled, "Army records - confused", sorry I don't know how to do links. ::)

Thank you so much for your help Justin!

Elin
Foxwell (Wotton Under Edge and South Wales), Howell (Stroud & Wotton Under Edge), Jones (South Wales) Merrigan (Liverpool), Kelly (Liverpool) Titley (Lincolnshire and Staffordshire)  Hellier (Somerset and Monmouthshire)           All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline elin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Madisaurus Vex
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 31 August 10 16:29 BST (UK) »
There are two Hyman Goldmans' born in 1907!!

Elin

Offline elin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Madisaurus Vex
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 31 August 10 21:38 BST (UK) »
I have found a Zimel Stalovitsky on a passenger list to Boston.  He arrived there on 7 Nov 1903 and gave the address of his brother in law at 236 Chevin Street, New York.

It said that he had lived in Leeds for 12 months!   His bil was Isak Lev, so maybe he was married to Sarahs Stalavitski's sister!!   ;D  Sue isn't convinced but I am full of hope!

I have put a post on the USA Board asking if someone could check the census for me.

Elin

Offline elin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Madisaurus Vex
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 01 September 10 13:41 BST (UK) »
Neither of the Hyman Goldmans' are correct.  :(

Elin

Offline seamike

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 01 September 10 21:25 BST (UK) »
Another Yagust from Białystok - Chava Yagust, divorced. Perished during Holocaust, aged 50

http://www.rootschat.com/links/09o7/

Offline elin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Madisaurus Vex
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 01 September 10 21:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Mike,

Thank you so much again for your help. :)

When I click on the link it says that it is broken.  It redirects me and there is a database of Shoah victims
names but I cannot find Chava Yagust.  Is that where I am supposed to be looking?

Elin

Offline seamike

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Thursday 02 September 10 06:29 BST (UK) »
Hers is this document from Shoah database

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Thursday 02 September 10 07:50 BST (UK) »
Hello Elin,

Have you found the two Hyman Goldmans in the 1911 census or something?

I was wondering whether the civil cert of Joe's and Annie's marriage might cast some more light on his actual name. The entry I transcribed from the JCR-UK database does not make it clear whether his surname was Silverman or Goldman.

However, thinking about it, the source would have been the synagogue marriage register. Maybe you have another chat with the sexton, he may be able to point you in the right direction.

I would regard your discovery of Zimel Stalovitsky as very interesting indeed and well worth pursuing. Like you, I would suspect some connection; the surname is too unusual to disregard the possibility.

Going back to Yagust in the 1911 census; was the form actually signed 'Sam Yagust'?

Is Sue certain that her grandmother was the mother of all Sam's children? Is it possible that she was his second wife?

I think it would be very interesting to see Mary's, Ada's or Max's birth cert.

Justin