Author Topic: KIRKDALE HOMES, LIVERPOOL  (Read 22836 times)

Offline Eileencrimond17

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
KIRKDALE HOMES, LIVERPOOL
« on: Saturday 21 August 10 13:55 BST (UK) »
I received my grandfather's  death certificate this morning. The  address where he died was given as 241 Westminster Road, Liverpool 4. He was descibed as being " of no fixed abode"--aged 77 descibed as a labourer.The informant  was  "occupier"

A cousin thought that he was living in the Kirkdale Homes at one point--we weren't sure if this was for "old people" or for sick people.
However going by the term "no fixed abode" it sounds as though it could be a lodging house where people went to at night but had to leave the next day?

Can anybody give me any information please?

Thank you
Munro, Ross, Gardner, Ballantyne, Higgins, Darroch --Scotland.
Moss, Stenson,Varnham, Smith, Turner. Harris. Yeats/Yates, Birkett, Askew, Walmsley. Allman.Laugharne --England
Mitchell. Higgins, Darragh-- Ireland

Offline Hollander

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: KIRKDALE HOMES, LIVERPOOL
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 August 10 14:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Eileen.

I've found a mention of the Kirkdale Homes being a home for the aged and infirm, from 1904 onwards, but was unable to find any more details.

This link may be of help:-

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/nra/searches/subjectView.asp?ID=O102382

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Hollander

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 August 10 14:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Eileen.

I found a mention of the Kirkdale Homes being a home for the aged and infirm, from 1904 onwards, but was unable to find any more details.

This link may be of help:-

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/nra/searches/subjectView.asp?ID=O102382

Offline Eileencrimond17

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 August 10 14:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Finbar--I'll try this--thank you
Moss, Stenson,Varnham, Smith, Turner. Harris. Yeats/Yates, Birkett, Askew, Walmsley. Allman.Laugharne --England

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 21 August 10 15:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Eileen,

Have a look at this website:-

www.workhouses.org.uk

Please don't be put off that it is a workhouse website.  If you put Kirkdale Homes in the search box, you should find some information in the Liverpool section.  I think originally Kirkdale Industrial School was on the site but in 1904 it was taken over by West Derby and became Kirkdale Homes for the aged and infirm.

Also on the website is a list of the addresses used on certificates from 1904 to disguise the fact that a person had been born or died in one of these institutions.  You can get to this link from the home page by following "Do you have any post 1904 workhouse birth or death certificates?"  I couldn't see 241 Westminster Road on the list though.

Luzzu

Armitage, Slaithwaite; Buck, Staffs & Hampshire; Buckley, Bolton & Manchester; Temple, London & Hampshire; Crummett, Norfolk & Burnley; Osborne, Cornwall & Burnley; Haigh, Manchester & Todmorden; Gralton/Grant, Manchester & Ireland; France, Manchester & Slaithwaite; Shackleton, Burnley & Yorkshire; Dicks, Nottingham & Wiltshire; Sowter, Derbyshire

Offline purlin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 21 August 10 17:31 BST (UK) »
This may help you, in 1900 Gores Directory, there is no 241 Westminster Road listed, however there is a 239, below is the entry.

239 Westminster Rd.  Hendry james A, M.R.C.s surgeon
Rumney rd.  Parish of Liverpool industrial Schools,  Birchalll Jas. Governor & Head Master Tees St.

next number is 297
Crosbie, Crosby, Black, Woods, Johnstone, Kelly, Howatt, McMillan, Wauchope Scott, Smith, Gibbons, Roberts, Hildred, Jones, Hughes. Curran, Palmer. Hughes, Jones, Wilcox, wilbraham, owen
Liverpool, Dumfriesshire, Kirkudbrightshire, Cheshire, Flintshire, llanrwst, trefriw, Lincolnshire, America, Canada, New Zealand.

Offline Eileencrimond17

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 21 August 10 18:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Luzzu & Purlin,  :) :)

Thank you both for your information--I am looking forward to following these up--possibly this evening but more likely tomorrow along with the info given by Finbar

I do appreciate you all taking the time & trouble to help

Thank you--Eileen

Offline Eileencrimond17

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 22 August 10 17:47 BST (UK) »
well--have had a happy time checking information from you all, and "googling" around--including finding via the latter a message on here in 2008 with an almost identical query!

I have found a few leads to follow up inc that there are some records held at Liverpool RO-need to contact there as think they are closed just now.

I now know more & have a couple of things to look up still--so--thank you all.

Eileen

Offline Angelika

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 03 September 10 13:43 BST (UK) »
Just found this discussion when I googled "241 Westminster Road"... and thought this information might help:

I have in front of me the death certificate of my father-in-law's stepfather who died at Kirkdale Homes in 1960. The death certificate lists both the Kirkdale Homes address, and his wife's (= my husband's grandmother's) address in Huyton. We understand that he suffered from dementia and that his wife was no longer able to look after him.

So - it would appear that it was NOT a place for homeless people. Perhaps people were listed as "of no fixed abode" if they had no other home?