Author Topic: Not sure if I am in the right place  (Read 1353 times)

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
Not sure if I am in the right place
« on: Friday 27 August 10 12:35 BST (UK) »
I would like to ask if this is safe to send for information

I have had help on this family before from rootschat

I wrote a snail mail to America but got no reply

Today I found Intelius its a pay site but not sure I should enter as I have had a big scare with one of my credit card

Interlius does not take one transaction it continues to take payments out monthly
I see you can stop it but does it stop
As I live in the UK I am a bit wary

I found Raymond T Karleskind and Colette
I thought it would be nice to buy this information ,but as a say its the credit card i am worried about

Elizabeth
McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Not sure if I am in the right place
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 August 10 12:49 BST (UK) »
Hello Elizabeth,

What sort of information are you looking for ? I am not reading very good reports about them !!!

Regards
Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 27 August 10 14:32 BST (UK) »
Hello Sandra,

Some time ago I asked about the Karlescind family and Lyalls living in America  on rootschat and got quite a bit as they are my husbands relatives

What we really wanted to know was if any were still alive

By chance last night i googled the name and came up with Raymond T Karleskind and Colette  I really don't think they will be alive as he shows 102 and she 91 ( I might be wrong ) and I know we are not to put names of the living on the site and I respect that

This form I found last night gives you telephone numbers addresses etc

the reason I do not want to use my credit card to post abroad is I had a foreigner used my card last month and had taken £903. 00 plus for a flight ticket and other things
Luck has it i found out by phoning to see what my balance was and when I got the reply I got onto the card company right away
its such a farce as you have to change pin numbers and fill in forms

so now you know the reason why I am asking

Elizabeth
McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 27 August 10 14:51 BST (UK) »
Hello Elizabeth,

I was sad to read of your experience, its not uncommon these days. From what I read, they give no more information than the phone book. People have been charged more than they should have been and apparently can not get a refund. Once they have your e-mail address and details , you are likely to get bombarded with telephone calls etc from other sources as well.
Sometimes these sites are a little out of date with information, I have looked for people who later it transpires have passed away.

On your previous thread Ambly did some extensive searching for you and a Raymond T Karleskind was mentioned on that - is it the son of that gentleman you are trying to trace ?

I will put the link to your previous thread here:-

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,176516.0.html

Just hold fire for a while - Ambly made come back to assist you.

Regards
Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 27 August 10 15:10 BST (UK) »
Some of those sites like intelius list people that I know died in the 1970's and 1980's.

There are lots of free options for looking up US addresses - www.switchboard.com and www.whitepages.com are among them.  Intelius may not have anything more than those sites have.

The Social Security Death Index lists two deceased Raymond Karleskinds - you can see the info at www.rootsweb.com.

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 28 August 10 14:55 BST (UK) »
According to the social security death index, Raymond T passed away in 1996.  The last residence was Orland Park, 60462.

Apparently, Raymond and Colette married in 1942 in Cook County.

I'm sending Elizabeth a pm about a possible son of Raymond and Colette.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 28 August 10 17:33 BST (UK) »
Sandra ,Lisa from California and Shellyesq
Thank you for your help
Yes I am looking for the family of Raymond T Karleskind

What sparked this of is off was we were taking about my husbands family that emigrated to America James and  Susan Lyall from Brechin in Scotland 1886
I got a lot of help from roots some time ago and we knew about the Karleskind family

Jane and Susan's daughter Maggie ( who used to write to my late mother in law ) married Charles Karleskind .Sadly no more letters were witten to any of the family
We just wondered if any of the family was still alive .As I'm at the brick wall again with my family I thought I would get back to my husbands again

Elizabeth

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 29 August 10 16:31 BST (UK) »
The Chicago Tribune obituary index shows an obituary for Raymond T. Karleskind dated 8 Apr. 1996.  There's a volunteer on www.raogk.org in Cook Co. who mentions doing "online searches of up to two obituaries from The Chicago Tribune."  Maybe you could contact her and see if it gives any information about survivors.

Offline Throughtmorton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 29 April 24 01:10 BST (UK) »
 all of these people are my very direct relatives.  im the youngest grandchild of the lovey marie karleskind