Author Topic: Newark, New Jersey & New York City  (Read 13206 times)

Offline hamleyseeker

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Newark, New Jersey & New York City
« on: Saturday 28 August 10 18:21 BST (UK) »
Visiting USA soon and would like to know where I can research missing Hamley ancestors (1880-1900). Hope someone can send me in the right direction. I've searched most on-line facilities.
Pipe, Fuller, Goodrich/King, Gale, Mansell, Hughes, Dore, Mellish, Nida, Caldwell, Jones, Hamley, Leigh, Barnett: England various counties
Moloney, Cunningham, Corb(o)y, Ryan - Tipperary/Limerick

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Newark, New Jersey & New York City
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 August 10 15:06 BST (UK) »
The New York City Municipal Archives might have helpful information for that time frame.

Maybe if you tell us what you have & what you're looking for, we can give other ideas/info.

Offline hamleyseeker

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 August 10 17:39 BST (UK) »
My 2 x G.Grandfather John Hamley, born 1827 Bristol, UK appears in 1880 census in Newark, NJ with new wife Mary & 2 daughters Alice and Maud.
I found marriages for him & Mary (formerly Whitehead) Manhattan 1879;
also a daughter Caroline Annie (b. 1859 England) Manhattan 1879 to Charles Green
& Edith Alice (b. 1861 England) to Louis Fick in 1901, Manhattan - she was widowed at that stage.
John's son George William is also in New York & naturalized 1891.
John is in Newark directory until 1886 when he is said to be in NY. The next available directory in 1893 when Mary is listed as widow of John Hamley.

My searches are therefore: 1. Death/divorce of 1st wife Harriet Leigh (or Lee) in UK or USA.
2. Death of John Hamley - NY or NJ
3. Marriages or deaths of Maud Leigh (b. 1865 UK) USA, Margaret Elizabeth (b. 1854 UK) in UK or USA, Sarah Kate (b. 1863 UK) in UK or USA
4. Marriage of George William c. 1895 in NY (from census) but not with wife - therefore no name.
5. Deaths of Edith Alice, George William and Caroline Annie (k.a.Carrie) all in USA

It seems rather a lot but it's all one family and I hope someone can help.
Pipe, Fuller, Goodrich/King, Gale, Mansell, Hughes, Dore, Mellish, Nida, Caldwell, Jones, Hamley, Leigh, Barnett: England various counties
Moloney, Cunningham, Corb(o)y, Ryan - Tipperary/Limerick

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 August 10 17:48 BST (UK) »
The death index on www.italiangen.org has an Edith A. Fick, age 42, who died 3 Dec. 1905 in Kings County.  The brides' index also has marriages for Maud L. Hamley and Sarah Hamley.

Offline johnnyboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 30 August 10 18:49 BST (UK) »
I take it that you've found George W. Hamley in the 1900 U.S. census, enumerated as a lodger on Bank St., on the west side of Lower Manhattan. George is listed as married, but the M in that column is written over what appears to be a W for widower.

In 1920, there is a George W. Hamley living in the New York City borough of Queens. He's listed as born approx. 1854, 66 years old, single, and is described as brother in law. I found the reference on the FamilySearch Pilot site. Perhaps someone can look at the actual census image, which is not available on FamilySearch Pilot.

New York City's death index has a George W. Hamley, age 77, dying in Queens, April 10, 1930, certificate #2412.

Regards,
John  :o :o :o
ENGLAND (all Yorkshire but one)
SLATER: Ovenden, Halifax, and Massachusetts
DOBSON, LONGBOTTOM: Thornton (Bradford)
DRURY: Darton, Halifax, and Massachusetts
NEVIL(LE): Wigan (Lancs.), Darton
MEGSON: Dewsbury, Ossett
GARSIDE: Woolley, West Bretton

SCOTLAND
ROBERT HENDRY: b. 1856, Who-knows-where-shire, Scotland; 1882 to US
DEMPSTER, HOUSTON: Lesmahagow, Glasgow, and Massachusetts
GALBRAITH, MEIKLE: Kirkmichael, Ayr.; Hamilton, Glasgow, and Massachusetts

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 30 August 10 19:22 BST (UK) »
1920 Census Queens Assembly District 5, Queens, New York

Charles W Green 62 Born New York. General Repair Man
Carrie A Green 60 Born England Immigrated 1873. Naturalized.
George W Hamley 66 Borther-In-Law. Born England. Immigrated 1873 Naturalized 1879. Offic Helper. Plumbing.

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 30 August 10 19:25 BST (UK) »
1930 Census  Queens, New York

Charles W Green 72
Carrie A Green 70 Immigrated 1870
George W Hamley 77 Widowed. Immigrated 1870 Says was married at 50 years.

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline johnnyboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 30 August 10 19:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Hamleyseeker: As I live in the larger of the two places you will be visiting, I checked out the genealogical resources across the river in Newark.

Newark's Registrar's Office is in Room 111 at City Hall, 920 Broad St., Newark. Not sure what kind of records will be available there for some of the dates you've posted. No e-mail address.

The Newark Public Library's main branch is at 5 Washington St., Newark. Hours from Sept. 7 are 9 am to 8:30 pm on Wednesday and Thursday and 9 am to 5:30 pm on Friday and Saturday. Other days closed, due to budget cuts.

The Charles F. Cummings New Jersey Information Center is where Newark Library's genealogy resources are located. The URL is http://www.npl.org/Pages/Collections/njic.html#genealogy. There is an e-mail address on the web page, if you want to send questions ahead of your visit.

The PATH train connects Manhattan and Newark (Newark Penn Station). In Manhattan the PATH runs underground to 34th Street. You can connect with it at a few stations of the New York City subway, including 34th St. and the World Trade Center site. Unfortunately, there are separate fares on the New York City subway (unlimited daily, weekly ride cards) and the PATH train ($1.75 each way on the PATH).

City Hall and the Newark library are each within a half mile of Newark Penn Station. One is north, though, and the other is south.

Regards,
John  :o :o :o
ENGLAND (all Yorkshire but one)
SLATER: Ovenden, Halifax, and Massachusetts
DOBSON, LONGBOTTOM: Thornton (Bradford)
DRURY: Darton, Halifax, and Massachusetts
NEVIL(LE): Wigan (Lancs.), Darton
MEGSON: Dewsbury, Ossett
GARSIDE: Woolley, West Bretton

SCOTLAND
ROBERT HENDRY: b. 1856, Who-knows-where-shire, Scotland; 1882 to US
DEMPSTER, HOUSTON: Lesmahagow, Glasgow, and Massachusetts