Author Topic: 1851 look up please  (Read 720 times)

Offline DebbieDee

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Hepzibah Annie Burge 1887-1969
    • View Profile
1851 look up please
« on: Tuesday 05 April 05 01:04 BST (UK) »
I am looking for a George Rendell who married in Cotleigh, Devon in Oct 1871 age 25.  On the cert it said he was living in Monkton and named his father as William Rendell.  One of the witnesses had surname Lock(can't read the first name).

In the 1871 census there is a George Rendall age 24, born in Uffculme, living in Combe Raleigh with a lodger called James Lock.

The only one I definitely know is my GG Grandfather is the George Rendell living in Huntspill, Somerset in 1881 who was born in Uffculme abt 1846.  In the 1891/1901 censuses he has changed spelling to Randell and place of birth N/K and then in Devon only.   

In the 1851 sample there is a George Rendle (age 5) living in Upottery, Honiton.  What makes me think there may be a link is that all the children have the same names as George's children and there is a George Lock living with them.  Also George's future wife was born in Upottery and they married near there.
Unfortunately the Head is not in the sample.  It just says Mary Rendle (married) b Clayhidon, age 28.  Her son George is said to have been born in Upottery. 

If anyone could check the address of Gapland, Upottery, Honiton I would be very grateful. 

Debbie

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 look up please
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 April 05 03:29 BST (UK) »

These are the only Details given Im afraid apart from what is in the index.... Mary is a labourer George Lock is an Ag Labourer

HO107/1863 Folio 252 Page 1
Gapland
Uppottery Devon

Cheers Kris  :D
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DebbieDee

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Hepzibah Annie Burge 1887-1969
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 look up please
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 April 05 06:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Kris,