Author Topic: Anne of St Helier who married an EGAN  (Read 1952 times)

Offline welgre

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Anne of St Helier who married an EGAN
« on: Sunday 29 August 10 20:14 BST (UK) »
Anne (1) EGAN married a Benjamin SMITH in 1825 at St Mary le Bow, Cheapside, London. Anne (1) was a widow at the time.
My Benjamin SMITH's wife Anne (2) came from St Helier, according to the 1871 census, and was born in 1796.
As Anne (1) was a widow when she married Benjamin, her maiden name was NOT EGAN.
I am trying to establish a link between Anne (1) and Anne (2), and have been advised that there is/was an EGAN family on the C.I.
Can anyone help by locating an Anne from St Helier who married an EGAN between, say, 1816 and 1825?

Offline la grande-méthe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Anne of St Helier who married an EGAN
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 August 10 21:17 BST (UK) »
If you go to www.jerseyheritagetrust.jeron.je, click on Archive then Name and enter the name Egan you will find quite a few Egans.

There are some Egan baptisms who may be grandchildren. The St Helier parish records have been transcibed so if she did marry there it shouldn't take long to find. The Archives don't open again until next Tues.

Offline welgre

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 September 10 20:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the info and the link. However, I don't think any of the EGANs are mine in the Baptism register. They are possible grandchildren, as you suggest. I followed my nose to the marriage registers for St Helier, D/E/A1/18 in particular, which brackets the possible marriage dates for my Anne to an EGAN, Jan 1795 - Nov 1824. How do I get to look at the register?

Offline la grande-méthe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 September 10 21:24 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately at the moment you don't get to see the registers. The transcriptions are in the process of being scanned but I think they're yet to decide how the information is going to be presented on the internet - it may be on a payment basis.

I did have a look this afternoon without any success but I can't remember which one's I checked. I'll try the one you suggested next week.

Offline welgre

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 05 September 10 10:43 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for looking. I will wait with baited breath for your next.

Offline la grande-méthe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 08 September 10 18:16 BST (UK) »
OK - you can breathe out now.

This is the only Egan marriage in that St Helier Town Church register.

1/5/1819
Thomas Egan, lieut half pay 95th Reg of Infantry to Mary Ann Cox of St Helier (they were'nt big on details iin the St Helier registers!)

I don't know if this is your Anne or not, she may have preferred being Anne to Mary Ann

Following on I went looking for Mary Ann and found this is the register of military baptisms

14/12/1794 Mary Ann Cox, daughter of John and Ann

This Mary Ann had siblings Caroline, 16/5/1801 and Charles Francis, 3/2/1807

In the Town Church baptism register is this one, 21/11/1794 (same year as Mary Ann) Elizabeth daughter of John Cox, soldier in the 32nd Regiment and Ann Cox, godparents The said father and Mary Ashford. There is no way of telling, apart from the military connection, whether Elizabeth is sister to the others or not.

I'll leave it for you to decide if you think this is the right family.

Offline welgre

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 12 September 10 11:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for your time and efforts re. the above. The info. on Thomas EGAN is promising, provided he died before 1825! I will now have a look for the records of the 95th Regiment of Infantry for the period between 1819 and 1825, and see what comes up.

With kind regards     Colin GREEN