Author Topic: Bray records  (Read 3513 times)

Offline 3dachsies

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bray records
« on: Tuesday 31 August 10 14:28 BST (UK) »
I am looking for family who lived in Bray in 1906 and then moved to Swindon.   The Surname is Vivyan and they were my great grandparents.  They were living at Bray Court, in the gate lodge in the 1911 census.  Dorothy - a daughter was born in Fulham and her sister and brother may have been born in Bray or in that area.

Offline helvissa

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Bray records
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 31 August 10 14:33 BST (UK) »
Are you attempting to go backwards or forwards? If backwards, go to the 1901 census, and if forwards, try the 1911.

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 31 August 10 14:49 BST (UK) »
Hello 3dachsies and Welcome to Rootschat.

Can you give us a bit more info(names dates etc) if you'd like help with this family.
Please note that Rootschat doesn't allow names of living people to be put on the message boards,but I'm presuming if they were around in 1906,they'd be dead by now  ;D

Which Bray do you mean- the one that Heston Blumenthal has just taken over  ;D or the one just south of Dublin in Ireland?

Regards

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline 3dachsies

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 31 August 10 17:18 BST (UK) »
I have the info from the 1911 census for my paternal grandmother Dorothy Vivyan who was born in Fulham in June 1904 and she has a brother and a sister both younger.  They were living in Bray (berks) in 1911, she died when my father (an only child) was 22 and we have no further information on relatives on that side of the family, but I do believe his father was killed in the war and his mother re married at some point.  They then were living in Swindon.

Offline 3dachsies

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 31 August 10 17:23 BST (UK) »
Are you attempting to go backwards or forwards? If backwards, go to the 1901 census, and if forwards, try the 1911.
Thanks, yes I have not got my grandmothers parents names so have not got anything from the 1901 census but am trying to go back as I have my immediate family info from 1925

Offline helvissa

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 31 August 10 18:55 BST (UK) »
You'll need to order your grandmother's birth certificate because it will give you your great-grandparents' names, including your great-grandmother's maiden name.

Get the reference from: http://freebmd.org.uk/

And then order it from: http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/ It'll take about a week for it to come.

I think I've found her birth, but I shall let you have a go on the Free BMD - looks like her middle name was Beatrice.  ;)

Offline helvissa

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 31 August 10 19:00 BST (UK) »
I've found a marriage as well, to Theodore H Bizley in 1925, in Swindon. I've found some other references on Ancestry, on the 1916 to 2005 databases - are we allowed to post them on the public board, anyone?

Offline 3dachsies

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 31 August 10 19:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks,  I have ordered her birth certificate and yes Theodore Bizley was my grandfather - the Bizley family details I have it is just the Vivyans that are proving difficult. ;)

Offline helvissa

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 31 August 10 19:08 BST (UK) »
Great stuff!

They've got fairly unusual names which helps, of course!