Author Topic: What you need to fix a photo  (Read 19780 times)

Offline deadants

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
What you need to fix a photo
« on: Tuesday 05 April 05 09:16 BST (UK) »
Here is a link to some free graphic editing software as well as some basic tutorials to get you started.
http://graphicssoft.about.com/cs/imageediting/tp/freephotoedw.htm

If your not sure how to scan a photo check this link.
http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/aboutgraphics/a/scanningintro.htm

Here is a link to Polaroid Dust and Scratch remover plugin updated 2020
https://web.archive.org/web/20081025150611/http://www.polaroid.com/service/software/poladsr/poladsr.html
Cleary, Doran, Boland, McCooey, McManus, O'brien, Martin, Savage, Wallis, McCollister, Wood.  (More to come soon)

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
Re: What you need to fix a photo
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 April 05 11:42 BST (UK) »
Hi deadants

I have Paint Shop Pro 9 - is this good enough to use for dabbling with my old photos?  I would love to have a go.

This may sound like a thick question (and I apologise if it's been asked before!) but when scanning a photograph, how do I know how many dpi that it's been scanned at? 

I have read some of the other threads on here and noticed that people have been advised to scan their photos at 300 dpi or more.  I have a Hewlett Packard scanner - ScanJet 2100C - came free with the original computer, about 4 years ago.

Any advice would be most welcome!!!

Jan :D

All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline uk2003

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 April 05 13:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Lloydy

I use PSP 9 and have only just started to dabble in restoration, but the results so far have been stunning (anyway to me they are).
Not having any idea what a lot of the control buttons in PSP 9 do it is trial and error, but you always have the undo button.
At the moment I turn it into a grey scale picture, then adjust brightness/contrast to give me a black & white picture. I save it at this point with a different name so as not to damage the original.
The only other buttons I use are Clone, Soften/Sharpen brush, Lighten/Darken brush, noise removal.
I have a couple of pictures on this site which I asked deadants to cast his eyes over for which I am most grateful. 

My next bit of learning curve will be layering

Regards
Ken
Harris - Millington - Hilton - Capper - Smith - Jones

Offline tallted

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 April 05 18:18 BST (UK) »
Kenhar,
does your program have the "channels"menu with the layers box.  If so, next time you have a colour photo, click on the channels menu and you will see 3 diff. layers for colours.  Each of the sub layers are the prime colour views.  Click 2 of each off so that each time you isolate one of the prime colours which will show grey, pick the best one, copy it and use it as the grey scale.  You can change a grey or sepia photo to colour on the adust button in Images, and do the same thing. Sometimes one of the 3 colour channels will be better than the other two.
I hope I have explained it well, but if not let me know and I will have another go at it.  Is psp9 the professional photoshop version 9?  If so again I would suggest you get the Photoshop Bible by  Deke McClelland and it will certainly give you a lot of how to info.  It is much better than the manual with photoshop.
Tallted
Surnames I am Interested in:
Dolan, Banks, Chambers, Bemi, Hills, Crowe

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 April 05 20:04 BST (UK) »
Ken

Thank you for your advice.  It sounds simple enough as a starting point, so I will have a go with that first.

Ted

Your post about "channels menu with the layers box" sounds interesting, but very complicated :-\  I think I will get the basics sorted first, then venture on to layers at a later date.

P.S.  Did you get my email with my beautiful photo attached? LOL

Watch this space!!!!!!

Jan
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

Offline tallted

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 05 April 05 21:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Lloydy,
Yes I did get your photo, unfortunately as deadants said there isnt much there to work with.  I tried to do a number of things to get outlines or at least vaque shapes to work with, but nothing yet.  I feel as deadants does that this wont restore.
I will let you know if I come up with anything.
Ted

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 05 April 05 21:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Ted

Thank you for having a go with my photo anyway.  I do appreciate your effort.

Jan

Offline tallted

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 05 April 05 21:32 BST (UK) »
Lloydy,
I havent given up yet!! I still have an idea or two.
Ted

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 05 April 05 22:17 BST (UK) »
OK Ted :D ;)

If you do manage to do something amazing with it, I do hope you can give me a Photo Fixing Lesson!!!!!!! LOL

Jan