Author Topic: cummertrees  (Read 2654 times)

Offline csc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • granny and grandad cursiter
    • View Profile
cummertrees
« on: Friday 03 September 10 09:04 BST (UK) »
does anyone know where cleughside is somewhere around cummertrees also any info on footmansbridge which is somewhere around comlongan castle csc
DUMFRIES. KERR,DICKSON,BELL,HETHERINGTON,HILL
CUMBERLAND, CHARLTON,YOUNG,SPARKS,HEWITT,IRELAND. 
ORKNEY,CURSITER,DREVER,PEACE,COOPER,    
FAIR ISLE, MALCOLMSON,LESLIE.

Offline csc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: cummertrees
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 September 10 08:10 BST (UK) »
my 5xgreat aunt rachel bell/mclean who died in ontario was born at footmansbridge 1799 her brothers and sisters were born stonebridge/brigg and flosh so these places are not far away from each other i know my bell and kerr family were aquainted before my francis kerr /mary bell were married i know where priestside is  i was in cummertrees churchyard last week and it is an absolute mess with long grass and weeds could not see what i was looking for  csc

Offline kojak

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 September 10 08:33 BST (UK) »
Hi csc,

A trip to the Ewart Library in Dumfries to look through the old maps may well resolve this query.  I have in the past found a few old cottages (sadly no longer present) on the largescale old maps the library keeps in their vaults.  The maps the library has in the map chests are not their only resource.

Sad to hear that the cemetery isn't being maintained.  A sign of the times viz. cash-strapped Council's looking to save money.

Good luck with your search.

Kojak
Green, Gibson, Ross, Telfer, Pattie, Jardine, Hay, Kennedy, Dickson, in Dumfriesshire esp Applegarth, Lochmaben and Kirkcudbright

Thom, Raeburn, Grant and Allan (Mainly Banffshire - 16th-19th century but also old Aberdeenshire) as well as having an interest in Cruickshank (in Banffshire circa mid 19th century)
Cormack & McBain in Ross and Cromerty and Banffshire/Aberdeenshire pre 20th century

McClelland, MacNeill (Argyll, Scotland and Northern Ireland), MacCully, Carson, Northern Ireland

Offline csc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 September 10 08:59 BST (UK) »
yes i think you might be right i have looked all over for george kerr my francis dad who had several children with mary dickson i have loads about mary nothing about old george i had discounted  this george several times because he was so much older than her but he is looking more likely now i know our george died between 1818/41 mary died 1839 and they also had a janet who would be the same age as the janet in the grave  thanks csc

Offline csc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 06 September 10 06:33 BST (UK) »
from the 1851 census i think cleughside is actually in hoddom parish which is probably correct as my george ker/kerrs children were born at several different locations the usual pettern for an ag labs family  csc

Offline csc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 09 September 10 10:23 BST (UK) »
does anyone know who the local counciller would be for cummertrees i was in torthorwald graveyard yesterday and it is immaculate cummertrees is a disgrace i am also surprised at the queensberrys letting their family plot get into such a mess csc

Offline csc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 17 September 10 11:12 BST (UK) »
on my ancestor george bells death cert it says george bell millwright  widower may4th 1860 83 years the address looks like morris charlesfield son of benjamin bell/rachel mcgowan it says churchyard of cummertrees as certified by robert ------- sexton also richard bell son and walter bell registrar   georges wife was janet hetherington and i suspect they are buried in her parents grave we have not been able to find it janet died between 1818/1841 does anybody know where morris was or the surname of the sexton it looks like fraser    janets name was sometimes hetherton or other spellings on their childrens papers my 4xgranny mary bell wife of francis kerr was their daughter i have never found her birth or her sister ellens birth but have the others i have her death cert  csc