Author Topic: PENHALL of South Australia  (Read 17896 times)

Offline JAS1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: PENHALL of South Australia
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday 14 September 10 04:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jenn, I need all the help I can get!  I  eventually got onto the correct personal message area so we are now comparing notes.  It's a great delight to find someone researching in the same area - rather than being a sole operator all the time.

I will follow your instructions and put a new message on.  Maybe you can help me!

By the way, another question: how do I add information such as areas of interest etc onto my personal profile page?

Thanks again.

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 14 September 10 04:50 BST (UK) »
next to the green scroll the square box with the face on is profile information
click on that  and you will see

Profile Info
Summary
Show Stats
Show Posts

Modify Profile
Membership Related Settings
RootsChat Profile Information
Look and Layout Preferences
Notifications and Email

click on roots chat profile information and go from  there

good luck

JEnn

When you search for ancestors, you find great friends!
I live in Townsville researching
TOWNSEND,PINNEGAR, STRANGE, PULLEN, GRIFFIN from Wiltshire,,
SHOEBRIDGE, VINALL, BRINDLE, Kent
BAYLEY, Dorset,Yorkshire,
HAIR, Durham,
CUMMINS, BROWNLESS from Yorkshire,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
MORGAN, HENNESSY, BAKER,  Ireland.
VAN REYK Sri Lanka
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.au

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday 14 September 10 06:38 BST (UK) »
Hi JAS1.

A Big Welcome to RootsChat.  ;D

For information on RootsChat please visit our detailed help pages where you will find information on how the site works and answer to all your question re how to do things on the site.

http://www.rootschat.com/help/index.php

All the Best.

Kris  ;D
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Coldug

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Monday 20 September 10 12:30 BST (UK) »
Hi, In a small hamlet named Wellington where the river Murray joins Lake Alexandrina in South Australia resides a lady named (*)l. I wonder what she knows. Colin Dugan.

Offline JAS1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday 22 September 10 00:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Colin?  Do you have reason to believe she belongs to my clan?  Would she welcome contact?

John

Offline Coldug

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday 22 September 10 00:59 BST (UK) »
Jas1,

(*)

Regards,
                                       Colin,

Moderator Comment: details of living person removed for privacy and security reasons. Please use our secure PM (Personal Message) system to share personal details. Thank You.

Offline chiselsgirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Thursday 06 January 11 23:05 GMT (UK) »
John Hugh BAWDEN aged 28 and SINGLE  father Henry Bawden
Married  15/6/1882 at the BC Parsonage Port Augusta Book 131 page 1188
Mary HENERY aged 21 and single father  James  Henery

This marriage says he was single and not a widower but  the ages and father’s name do match.
So it is an ssumption on my part that it is the same man

Children born to John Hugh BAWDEN and Mary Henry/Henery
May Evelyn 9/9/1882 at Port Augusta 290/277
John Henry 27/7/1884 at Port Augusta 333/128
Cornelius 27/5/1886 at Port Augusta 376/20
Myrtle Nellie 5/6/1888 at Glanville 418/118
Hilda 6/10/1891 at Glanville 488/5
Ivy Lavinia 1/7/1898 at Portland Ward 625/312
Lyly 4/5/1902 at Tin Town 694/352

Hi I have just started to search my mothers side of the family, put a name in google a little bit of research and it brought me here  I am new to this so hope I am doing it right, my great grandfather was John Hugh Bawden he may have been the husband of Jane Ann Penhall but my family is not aware of any marriage prior to him marrying my great grandmother but it could be possible, John Hugh Bawden was married to my great grandmother Mary Henery  ,my grandmother was Lyle Bawden born in tin town on the 4/5/1902 I grew up with her in Exeter Adelaide I knew Hilda and  Rene which I am assuming is Ivy lavinia as I know of no other sister with this name, May lived close by but Lyle was not on speaking terms with her ,I never met her though not sure what happened to Violet, I remember Lyle talking Of Neil often who died WW1 and her sister Millie who died of TB, Mary my great grandmother died of a possible brain annerism when Lyle the youngest was 14 , John or Jack as  he was known died of a stoke at the age of 78 he was living with my grandmother Lyle and her husband at Exeter at the time, this Bawden line did indeed die out as no sons were born to John or Neil,  not sure if this is revelent to anyone that has posted but thought I would comment as you had been discussing them and you may be interested.
                                                                                                      Cheers Shelley

Offline chiselsgirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Saturday 22 January 11 12:43 GMT (UK) »
John Hugh BAWDEN aged 28 and SINGLE ??? father Henry Bawden
Married  15/6/1882 at the BC Parsonage Port Augusta Book 131 page 1188
Mary HENERY aged 21 and single father  James  Henery
Hi I have just started to search my mothers side of the family, put a name in google a little bit of research and it brought me here  I am new to this so hope I am doing it right, my great grandfather was John Hugh Bawden he may have been the husband of Jane Ann Penhall but my family is not aware of any marriage prior to him marrying my great grandmother but it could be possible, John Hugh Bawden was married to my great grandmother Mary Henery  ,my grandmother was Lyle Bawden born in tin town on the 5/4/1902 I grew up with her in Exeter Adelaide I knew Hilda and  Rene which I am assuming is Ivy lavinia as I know of no other sister with this name, May lived close by but Lyle was not on speaking terms with her ,I never met her though not sure what happened to Violet, I remember Lyle talking Of Neil often who died WW1 and her sister Millie who died of TB, Mary my great grandmother died of a possible brain annerism when Lyle the youngest was 14 , John or Jack as  he was known died of a stoke at the age of 78 he was living with my grandmother Lyle and her husband at Exeter at the time, this Bawden line did indeed die out as no sons were born to John or Neil,  not sure if this is revelent to anyone that has posted but thought I would comment as you had been discussing them and you may be interested.
                                                                                                     Cheers Shelley

Offline JAS1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Monday 28 March 11 12:19 BST (UK) »
Hello Shelley,

I haven't looked at this site for some months and was delighted to  see that you have been on line in recent weeks.  I hope you get this message.

John Hugh Bawden was also my great-grandfather; he married twice, firstly to Jane Ann Bennicke Penhall who died in 1879 leaving one son, Henry Bawden, my grandfather (there was at least one other son from this marriage who died as an infant).  John Hugh later went on to marry Mary Henery and had the following children: May Evelyn (Collins/Miller), John Henry (unmarried), Cornelius (died WW1), Myrtle Nellie (infant death), Violet (Drummond/Tobin), Hilda (Tomsen), Josepha Mildred (Todd), Albert James (infant death), Ivy Lavinia (infant death), Thelma Irene (Friend), Lyley (Bussenschutt).

My grandfather was brought up by his grandparents Henry and Josepha Bawden (nee Matthews) after his mother died, and was probably closer to his uncles and aunts than his own father and step-siblings.  Grandfather came to Victoria in the early 1890s, and all contact with SA seems to have been lost after his father died in 1931.

I have researched the Bawden family for many years, and more recently the Matthews and related families.  I have much to share with you if you are interested. The Bawdens have been a most difficult family to trace (there being no living male descendants with the Bawden name), and I have made contact with no other Bawden descendants (apart from my own line) except a daughter of Violet Tobin.

I look forward to you getting in touch