Author Topic: Convict No 75093- WHELAN ( alias Phelan) Jeremiah  (Read 3742 times)

Offline TLB

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Convict No 75093- WHELAN ( alias Phelan) Jeremiah
« on: Friday 10 September 10 10:41 BST (UK) »
The above named was transported on the Rodney from Queenstown arriving Tasmania 12 February 1853.
Whilst we have details of his conviction, arrival and convict record ( very difficult to read but shows his transportation was extended by 18 months plus a few fines for misdemeanors ) I have been unable to establish what happened to him thereafter, trail seems to go cold.
He is possibly a relation ,Whelan is my grandmothers maiden name and Jeremiah is also a family name, as was her fathers name. We do know someone in the family was transported, feeling is he may have returned to Clonmel, Co. Tipperary and settled down and got married, but not sure. It is of course possible he is a relation on another branch of the family.
Is there anyone out there who could assist.
Many thanks.
Byrne, Whelan, Sweeney. Marlfield & Clonmel
Cullen,  Breen.  New Ross
Hambrook, Essex
Broughton, London
Cole, London
Mills, London

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Convict No 75093- WHELAN ( alias Phelan) Jeremiah
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 September 10 13:50 BST (UK) »
Hi TLB,

It is hard to just jump into the middle of someone else's life so I am posting some more info:

Conduct Record
7 years + 18 months, Ticket of Leave 25 March 1856, Certificate of Freedom 5 Oct 1857, and I think the notation means it was issued at Hamilton
http://search.archives.tas.gov.au/ImageViewer/image_viewer.htm?CON33-1-113,350,273,S,80  (page 273)

Indent (1852/3)
Aged 20, Single, Stonecutter, native of Limerick, Father: William, Brother: Thomas (in Tipperary)
http://search.archives.tas.gov.au/ImageViewer/image_viewer.htm?CON14-1-44,292,254,L,46  (pages 254 & 255)

A lot of convicts moved to the mainland from Tasmania, and some changed their names.  The newspaper site is offline at the moment but it is a good place to search for mentions, especially if he was fond of getting into trouble.  http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/home

Debra  :)

Offline TLB

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 September 10 14:43 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Debra, that is a great help.
I was unable to read most of the conduct sheet and for some reason could not get into the indent. At first the place of residency shown as Limerick threw me but on talking to family in Clonmel I am told this happened quite often as for some unknown reason  some of the authorties considered  Tipperary as part of the administrative area of Limerick.
Looks as though he got his COF early, now to find out what happened to him.
Hambrook, Essex
Broughton, London
Cole, London
Mills, London

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 September 10 16:31 BST (UK) »
Death:

WHELAN JEREMIAH age 55yrs d. 8/12/1866 CAMPBELLTOWN #82/1866 RGD 35

Offline TLB

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 10 September 10 16:47 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Merlin
Hambrook, Essex
Broughton, London
Cole, London
Mills, London

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 10 September 10 23:11 BST (UK) »
The age on that one is quite a lot out,  he would have been around 35 in 1866.  It could be a transcription error, but  TAMIOT (Tombstone and Memorial Inscriptions of Tasmania) gives his age as 50 in 1866.

Do you know the name of your Jeremiah's mother?

Debra

Offline TLB

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 11 September 10 06:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Debra,
I noticed the age difference and was going to look into it, 15/20 years is a big difference , even in those days of wrong recording.   As I said  Jeremiah is very much a family name, handed down generation by generation on the Whelan side, so there is the possibility of another convict in the family but Irish Convict Records do not do not appear to quote another JW, but then these records are not complete, possible not a convict, I'll have to check earlier shipping lists.
Regret do not know the name of Jeremiah's mother but have enquiries out in Clonmel.

Tony
Hambrook, Essex
Broughton, London
Cole, London
Mills, London

Offline TLB

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 14 September 10 17:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Debra,
Talking with family back in Tipperary, we think that after he got his COF, in Hamilton, he went to work in Ballerat goldfields and then returned home ,as, we beleive we have found part of his marriage details, names appear to tie in with what we know. Do you know if there is any records etc  of goldfield workers ?
Hambrook, Essex
Broughton, London
Cole, London
Mills, London

Offline Beth Thompson

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 19 April 20 09:31 BST (UK) »
I’m trying to trace my ancestry; Jeremiah Breen from Tipperary who came over on a convict ship. Any chance this is him?