Author Topic: Dunshalt Weavers Cottages  (Read 1905 times)

Offline Bloosman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dunshalt Weavers Cottages
« on: Friday 10 September 10 12:49 BST (UK) »
Folks,

Can anyone assist with information about two cottages in The Wynd, Dunshalt.

They are named Annan Cottage and The Annans.

Any info would be appreciated as I have Annans originating from Dunshalt and Falkland, all hand loom weavers.

Many thnkas,

Douglas.
Forgan, Annan, Cadden, Garland, Pratt, Douglas, McMann, Murray, Gillan...

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Dunshalt Weavers Cottages
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 September 10 15:12 BST (UK) »
hi & welcome to RC.

you may be able to send for some info from this site;

http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/en/site/108645/details/dunshelt+23+the+wynd+annan+cottage/

seems the cottages are of interest to the Royal commission on the ancient and historical monuments of scotland.

Diddy
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline Bloosman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 September 10 12:53 BST (UK) »
Diddy,

Thanks for the reply, and apologies for not getting back in touch sooner.

I'll certainly follow up on the link you've left me. Every chance that the cottages have nothing top do with my family, as Annan was a common name in the village back then, but you never know...!!

Douglas.
Forgan, Annan, Cadden, Garland, Pratt, Douglas, McMann, Murray, Gillan...

Offline Keith Duncan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 April 24 08:29 BST (UK) »
Always difficult if Annan was a common surname in the village of Dunshalt. Curiously I was looking at valuation rolls on Scotland's people website recently, in 1855 there was an Alexander Annan shown as proprietor of houses and gardens etc, Dunshalt
Might (not) be related to a family of Annan in Dundee (1840s show vintner/grocer) but later mason/builder assuming the same Alexander Annan. One of the children's names was Ebenezer and possible although definitely not certain there were connections with Auchtermuchty.

Only recently learned from the land tax rolls (1820) there were two ridges of land  at Dunshelt, purchased by Ebenezer Marshall and possessed by Alexander Low.
(Coincidence or otherwise, in 1829 a marriage of Ebenezer Annan and Margaret Low)

https://scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/digital-volumes/historical-tax-rolls/land-tax-rolls-1645-1831/land-tax-rolls-fife-volume-05/33

Annan cottage
https://canmore.org.uk/collection/2400767