Author Topic: SWEDEN - Carl Ludvig LINDAHL  (Read 5568 times)

Offline DonL

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Albert Clarence & Rosie Lindale with daughters
    • View Profile
Re: SWEDEN - Carl Ludvig LINDAHL
« Reply #9 on: Monday 31 October 11 03:05 GMT (UK) »
Greetings Jan

I have completed as search on the Australian Electoral Rolls (1903 t0 1980) and have found the folllowing information:

1930 to 1937 Rolls
Carl Ludvig LINDAHL, mariner, lived at Patty Street, Dee Why, NSW, Australia -  so it looks as of he died about 1937 plus or minus a year or two

1930 to 1980 Rolls
Carl Ludwig LINDAHL and Jessie LINDAHL (Engineer and House Duties) lived 31 Ross Street, Gladsville, NSW Australia.

There is no other Lindhal living with Carl Ludvig and no adult children with with Carl and Jessie.

I will be doing a birth search in the Australia records to see if Carl Ludwig is the son of Carl Ludvig.

It's a pity that there are no entries for earlier in the century to see if Carl Ludvig had a wife.

Regards

DonL
04/12/1938 - Jan 16th 2021
Lindale/Lindhal/Lindahl - Scandanavia - Denmark- Sweden
Olsen ,Christiansen - Norway
Bergstrom, Lamberg, Pasche- Sweden
Crundwell,Myers,Wilson -UK
Byrne,Miskelly,McGrevy,McGreavy, McGreevy -Ireland
Swanson, Newman
Chrestenson,Whitmore
St Romain//de St Romain,Nozace-Reunion
de Silva -Argentina, The Philippines

Offline DonL

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 31 October 11 03:19 GMT (UK) »
Having now had a look at the Australian Births and Marriages records I can confirm that Carl Ludvig Lindahl married Sarah Guthrie in 1892 and had a son Carl Ludwig Lindahl in 1895. Carl Jr married Jessie Munro in 1928 and had a number of children.

Carl senior also had a number of other children, none of whom would appear to be my grandfather.

So I will just have to keep on searching...

Cheers

DonL
Swanson, Newman
Chrestenson,Whitmore

Offline janrm

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Pre 1905 Union flag, "Sildesalaten"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 11 November 11 16:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Don,

I've had a look at migration records for Karlshamn 1881 and 1883 without any success.

Are there any detail from Sweden you are absolutely sure of?

You could have a go at Swedish records yourself, according to kaysii http://www.arkivdigital.net/
is free this weekend.

If it is a comfort: Swedish handwriting seems to be better than Norwegian...!

Jan
"Doing Norway and a bit Sweden...!"

Offline DonL

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 12 November 11 03:05 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jan

Thanks for looking.
I do not have any positive information on my paternal Swedish ancestry other than information gleaned from my grandfather's two marriage certificates, both of which indicate that he (Albert Clarence Lindale) was born in New South Wales, Australia at an unknown date probably between 1879 and 1883. His marriage announcement in the Wellington Evening Post on 17 January 1908 showed his name as LINDHAL eldest son of Mr H LINDHAL, of Newcastle, NSW.
Family speculation has his father as being Scandinavian, probably Swedish or possibly Danish.
As I have previously mentioned, the earliest informatyion I have been able to trace comes from his marriage certificate and in Intention to Marry documentation which was supposed to be completed two weeks prior to the marriage but which was completed on the same day of his marriage.
I can find no trace of him arriving in NZ from Australia, although his ITM document staes he had been in Wellington for 4 years. His occupation was Plasterer, and occupation he continued until late in his life. Where did he learn that trade? -  he aslo stated, on his first marriage records, that was also the occupation of his father.
When his father arrived in Australia is also an unknown. I can fin no trace of him either, nor of his marriage, nor the birth of Albert and his siblings.

All a real mystery and my biggest brickwall.

Now on my mother's side both her Swedish and Norwegian grandparents records have been traced back into the late 1600's.

I am beginning to think that the Lindale name is fictional -  what Alberts real name is a mystery.

Thanks again for you help.

DonL
Swanson, Newman
Chrestenson,Whitmore

Offline janrm

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 12 November 11 21:10 GMT (UK) »

Yes, this is a mystery!

What we know for sure is that the surname LINDAHL exists in the Blekinge-area.

I had a look at Åsarum as well, which is just north of Karlshamn, according to the map.

I think the key to a breakthrough may be in Australia, if you find some specific information!

A DOB or otherwise may send us to the Birth&Baptism book, & if we're lucky there is a direct reference to the household record (Husforhørslengden)... and Bob's your uncle...

Swedish records are probably the best in the world, as mentioned earlier in this topic.

"Carl Ludvig Lindahl" sounds very Swedish to me, I'd be surprised if he was Danish, actually.
(but you never know, I've gone wrong before..)

What about the "Carl Ludvig Svensson" b May 1861, do you think we should "keep" him for yet a while?

Jan

Offline janrm

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 15 November 11 13:04 GMT (UK) »

Hi again Don,

Have a go at this database: http://www.ddss.nu/(S(li3ic545evaiy555l1s4pjv4))/english/default.aspx

If you enter "Child's first name" Karl and "Father's last name" Lindahl you will get some 20-hits of births and baptism in Southern Sweden.

Any of them worth a closer look?

J

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 31 January 15 09:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi DonL

I have traced this Carl Ludwig Lindahl here in Sweden. He was born in Carlshamn 18 May 1861. He was an illegitimate child to Marta Johnsson nee Svensdotter. The father's name was not recorded. According to the books Carl Ludwig was her child and not the man Marta was married to … Sven Johnsson.

Around 1867 there was a Carl Olof Lindh living with them. As the name Lindahl doesn’t appear until 1881 this could be significant.

Carl Ludwig was a seaman and the minister had written him as “not registered” in 1889. Finally he was put in the “missing persons” book in 1907. He was present in 1881 and could have left around then, but it wasn’t until 1889 that the minister started writing him as “not registered”.

An explanation of the “missing persons” books
http://www.arkivdigital.net/swedish-genealogy/non-existing-persons-book

Ian