Author Topic: Stephen & Antoinette FRIER  (Read 5400 times)

Offline TKEJ

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Stephen & Antoinette FRIER
« Reply #18 on: Monday 22 August 16 22:27 BST (UK) »
Would be hugely interested to learn more about what you've found Vita P. visited Grimstone a while ago and thought I'd thoroughly covered the graveyard and not found any Friers.
Regards. Tony Frier

Offline vita p

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 23 August 16 21:42 BST (UK) »
How nice to hear from someone who has ancestors and an interest in my village!

I'll pick through the mysteries and get back to you properly when I've discovered more detailed answers but in the meantime here are some of the definite facts I have regarding Stephen Frier.

According to documentary evidence of his own recollections, Stephen served at the Battle of Waterloo and was there struck in the face by a bayonet.  He also sustained an injury to his leg. 

He then went on to serve under Colonel Dugald Little Gilmour in Brussels.  He was wounded in the head during the Battle of Salamanca and formed part of the storming party at the Siege of St Sebastian. 

After these (and other) engagements and subsequent to his discharge, Stephen Frier went to serve in the household of Colonel Norcot in Paris.

As for graves in Grimston with no stone or marker and non-conformists - just don't get me started! grrrr!  >:(

I hope that you find the foregoing useful and interesting; I have thoroughly enjoyed finding it.

Best regards,
Vita

Offline TKEJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 23 August 16 22:20 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Vita.  I must admit I'd hit a brick wall with Stephen Frier, but fascinating to learn what you've found.  What format do his recollections take - letters, diary? And how have you come by them?  I can definitely see another visit up to Grimston coming up soon!  I wonder if it is when he is in Norcot's service that he got to meet Antoinette?
Regards, Tony

Offline vita p

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 25 August 16 21:23 BST (UK) »
Well what a small world TKEJ - I've just put the phone down to Jonathon's Mum who I now know to be your aunt Audrey! 

I need to do a bit more poking around to confirm but suspect strongly that Stephen and Antoinette met in Paris when he was serving as a butler in the household of Colonel Norcot.

Regards,
Vita

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 26 August 16 02:14 BST (UK) »
I note there are a number of trees for Stephen and Antoinette and a few of them state that Antoinette was Antoinette Pierson b.23/7/1802 Paris, dau. of a Jean Baptiste Pierson and Marie Marguerite Percheron - 3 siblings being Louise Pierette b.23/5/1801 Paris, Suzanne b.27/7/1812 Paris and Victor Marie b.6/10/1820 Paris.   I cannot see any real sources so have no idea how a connection has been made or even if it is accurate.   

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline TKEJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 26 August 16 23:14 BST (UK) »
Yes. I've seen that as well but there's nothing to back up her being Pierson. We need ( obviously) to find Stephen and Antoinette' marriage record, but I'm struggling with that.

Offline TKEJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 26 August 16 23:17 BST (UK) »
Small world indeed Vita. How extraordinary you know Audrey. She is my dad's cousin but always called her Aunty. I know Jonathan is also into family trees and we share a lot of info.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 26 August 16 23:33 BST (UK) »
Yes. I've seen that as well but there's nothing to back up her being Pierson. We need ( obviously) to find Stephen and Antoinette' marriage record, but I'm struggling with that.

Since it seems almost certain that this took place in Paris, and marriages for that time/place are not available online, I don't know how you can find this out.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline TKEJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 03 September 17 18:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Vita
Hope you're doing ok. Just wondering if you managed to uncover anything more about Stephen and Antoinette Frier. I got really excited when you emailed out of the blue last year and was really hopeful I could trace Antoinette's family. Regards Tony