Author Topic: LUDGATE FAMILY  (Read 4785 times)

Offline focus

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
LUDGATE FAMILY
« on: Sunday 12 September 10 14:25 BST (UK) »
My mothers side of the family, the Ludgates apparently came from Cork, Ireland. William Ludgate and Mary had 5 children born in Ireland, the last being born in 1844, the other 2 children were born in London, England in 1848 and 1850. I was wondering how i could find out Marys maiden name and also anything about the family and why they may have come to England.
Dave

Offline silverpulser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: LUDGATE FAMILY
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 September 10 21:03 BST (UK) »
I can seen the family with their seven children on the 1851 census. William is shown as a Cooper. On the 1861 census William is a boarder, still in St George in the East district, with two of his children, Patrick and George. On the 1871 census he is a lodger in Gravesend. This entry shows "wife lunatic?" at the end of the line. I cannot see him on the 1881 census and there is a possible death registration for him in 1873, Quarter 1, St George in the East, age at death 67.

As to why the family came over in the 1840's is just my guess that they were escaping the effects of the potato famine.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 September 10 21:08 BST (UK) »
Birth certificate for either of the children born in England should list mother's maiden name. There are many reasons why the family might have moved to England, employment possibily being the most common one.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline focus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 17 September 10 11:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the replies. I checked on the potato famine link and it does make sense that they moved to england at that time. Also i never thought of sending for the birth certificate of the children who were born here to get mothers maiden name, so thank you, i should be able to get her name now.
Focus

Offline silverpulser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 17 September 10 12:26 BST (UK) »
Be very careful not to order any certificates for birth registrations outside of the London area. There are a couple of families living and having children at the same time and same names as your Joseph and George. These can be seen on the census pages and are not your family.

As far as I can see, there are no registrations for your Joseph b 1848 and George b 1850. Neither are there any registrations for the same time period where the children are just registered as Ludgate Male (because a name hadn't been chosen at the time of registering the birth). This leads me to the conclusion that these two children, born in England, were not registered (yes, it did happen :( and means there is no birth certificate available).

Shaun

Incidentally, I see that Patrick and George, who were with their father on the 1861 census, are together on the 1881 census with Patrick shown as a visitor in the family home of George with his wife & children in Northfleet, Kent.

Offline focus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 17 September 10 12:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Shaun,
Will have to have a think where to go from here ???

Offline silverpulser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 17 September 10 13:28 BST (UK) »
Dave, I have seen a report in The Morning Post 1852 reporting an incident involving your William Ludgate and his wife Mary whilst they were still living together at Batty's Gardens in St George in the East. It's too large to display on this forum and lays out the difficulties that existed within the marriage.
 This really explains the entry on the 1871 census about "wife lunatic"

If you wouid like a copy of it then please let me know your email address for me to post it to (maybe by a private message).

Shaun

Offline focus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 17 September 10 23:09 BST (UK) »
Shaun, would like to see report in The Morning Post if you dont mind sending to me.

Offline silverpulser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 17 September 10 23:36 BST (UK) »
OK Dave, I am at my laptop and away from the desktop at the moment (where the article is stored). I will email it to you in the morning.

Shaun