Author Topic: Copy of confirmation of arms  (Read 6287 times)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Copy of confirmation of arms
« on: Wednesday 15 September 10 14:52 BST (UK) »
Just wondering if anyone knows what details a Copy of confirmation of arms would contain.

Wondering if it would just be a Cert, as such, for the named person or would it give proven lineage
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Purpeller

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Copy of confirmation of arms....
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 September 10 15:26 BST (UK) »
What do you mean exactly?

A grant of arms by the Chief Herald?
If so, this usually has no family information on it.
Dublin, Limerick, Carlow, Waterford, Wicklow, Pembrokeshire

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 September 10 20:47 BST (UK) »
Well on NLI it just says "Copy of confirmation of arms granted to...., son of...."

The grant of Arms is indeed done by chief herald, so presume the Copy of confirmation would be confirming he is who he says he is and has proven it and that the copy of confirmation is his proof in writing that he is descended from the person originally granted Arms by the herald.

I'm trying to find out if it would name the person originally granted the Arms possibly 300 years ago or more.

This person was granted a copy of confirmation of arms and I'm asking if anyone would know what this contains..

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 September 10 21:03 BST (UK) »
What do you mean exactly?

A grant of arms by the Chief Herald?
If so, this usually has no family information on it.

What I mean exactly is, for instance, if your g/g/g/g/g.father was granted Arms, and you can prove your direct lineage back to him you can then get this confirmed, you would then also get a copy of confirmation which confirms you are a direct descendant .

So, I'm asking if anyone knows the amount of detail contained within the Copy of Confirmation!

Offline Purpeller

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 15 September 10 21:15 BST (UK) »
The original grant of arms will definitely say who it was granted to.
I have one here - in this case it was a surname becoming double-barrel after a nephew was named heir to his uncle, he appended his uncle's name onto his own.  It states his relationship to the uncle but is mostly about the design of the arms.
There is currently no chief herald of Ireland, and I believe they do not plan to replace him.  So if you were to go to the NLI, there wouldn't be someone who could "confirm" the connection.  The happier news is that since there is no chief herald any more, you won't be subject to his whim and should have no problem getting to see the original grant.  Until his retirement, he could decide whether or not to let someone see an original and most of the time didn't!
Dublin, Limerick, Carlow, Waterford, Wicklow, Pembrokeshire

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 15 September 10 23:00 BST (UK) »
Yes, it's the original person I'm trying to get to but am still wondering what would be on the manuscript in the Library. You have yours from the past to present times, I'm just trying to find out if this manuscript would contain lineage from present back in time to the original grantee.

If I knew who it was originally granted to then I wouldn't need it, which is why I'm asking if anyone knows what would be on the Copy of Confirmation of Arms granted to...., son of...  would it name the grantee??

or has anyone experience of this please?

Offline Oaks and Acorns

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 16 September 10 03:10 BST (UK) »
Yes, it's the original person I'm trying to get to but am still wondering what would be on the manuscript in the Library. You have yours from the past to present times, I'm just trying to find out if this manuscript would contain lineage from present back in time to the original grantee.

If I knew who it was originally granted to then I wouldn't need it, which is why I'm asking if anyone knows what would be on the Copy of Confirmation of Arms granted to...., son of...  would it name the grantee??

or has anyone experience of this please?

Grant of Arms was a device whereby land was exchanged for title. Omnce the land was transferred and the title bestowed, nobody was bothered to trace either back or forwrd from there.

Your question is a little unclear:

Have you traced from yourself back to a Grant of Arms and want to use that to go back further?

Or have you found a Grant of Arms and wonder if someone can trace it forward to you?

Please elucidate.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 16 September 10 03:32 BST (UK) »
I don't know what is so complicated about it.

Someone quite recently was able to trace himself back to someone who was granted licence to bear arms centuries ago.. he produced his evidence which was then CONFIRMED  and he was give CONFIRMATION..

A copy of this confirmation showing he was indeed related to the person granted arms centuries ago is in NLI.

I was hoping someone would know if it would detail his lineage back in time

If, for example, I could prove I was related to Brian Boro and could prove it I could then get this lineage confirmed... A copy of Confirmation of Arms would then be given.

When this person produced his evidence it was confirmed that he was a direct descendant! All I'm trying to find out is would it show the line back.

I don't see what is so complicated or how I can make it any clearer.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
National Library of Ireland
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 16 September 10 04:05 BST (UK) »
In the 1960s a man walked into the NLI and said "I'm a direct descendant of someone born in the 15th century who was granted licence to bear arms and I can prove it!"

A Researcher from the library was called in to check if this was true.

All documentation was produced and after being researched it was proven that this man was indeed related to the person from 15th century and confirmation was given which showed the evidence as being true.

The library researcher then says to the man in 1960s "I can indeed confirm you are related to this person from 15th century and here is your confirmation!"

A copy of this confirmation exists in the library and I'm just wondering if anyone would know how detailed it would be.

I know what a Heraldry Office is. I know what a Land Grant is. 

The question is;   Would the line back from present time to the person in the 15th century be given?