Author Topic: Walter De St Marin Warren born abt 1520 - Arlesey, Bedford  (Read 1673 times)

Offline croz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Walter De St Marin Warren born abt 1520 - Arlesey, Bedford
« on: Thursday 16 September 10 11:25 BST (UK) »
Would appreciate any information that may be available. Apologies but all I have is name, year and place, gleaned from the familysearch.org database.

Walter's father was apparently Claus De St Marin Warren born abt 1500 in "Warren", Sussex (also posted on Sussex board).

Many Thanks
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Morland family - Westmorland, Kent (Court Lodge), Soho (London) , Fulham/Parsons Green (Middlesex).
Limpus family - Fulham/Putney (Middlesex) - Ragless and Penfold families (West Sussex)

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Walter De St Marin Warren born abt 1520 - Arlesey, Bedford
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 September 10 16:01 BST (UK) »
I take IGI and Pedigree Resource File entries for this period, pre parish registers, with plentiful amounts of salt.

Presumably you have a child of Walters from which someone descends? Do you have his wife's name?

The de Warenne family were the Earls of Surrey so are well documented, if this is the same family
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline croz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 September 10 16:57 BST (UK) »
I found him via the familysearch.org database so agree it might be less than verifiable ..but ...wife's name is allegedly Margrita, married abt 1540 (other details unknown) and the "line" is like this ...:

Son of Walter and Margrita is Richard Warren b. 19 Jun 1547, Arlesey, Bedford, married Joan West b. abt 1552, Maulden, Bedford on 7 feb 1573 in Maulden.

Son of Richard and Joan is Richard Warren b. abt 1601 in Maulden, married Elizabeth Miller b. abt 1605, on 19 May 1626 in Maulden

Son of Richard and Elizabeth is Thomas Warren or Warin b. abt 1635 (Maulden), wife's name unknown.

Son of Thomas is John Warren christened 21 feb 1673 (Maulden) d. 21 Nov 1743 (Yeldon, Bedfordshire) married Mary Fortescue b. 20 feb 1680 (Coughton, Warwicks), d. 8 May 1737 (yeldon) on 30 Sep 1700 (Yeldon).

Daughter of Thomas and Mary is Eliabeth christened 2 Dec 1723 (Yeldon), married Thomas Turk 28 Jun 1748 in Arlingham, Gloucester.
Daughter of Elizabeth and Thomas is Sarah who seems to have taken name Warren, married Thomas Fulwood in 1763, their daughter Charlotte is my G-G-G-G Grandmother (I think !)

Morland family - Westmorland, Kent (Court Lodge), Soho (London) , Fulham/Parsons Green (Middlesex).
Limpus family - Fulham/Putney (Middlesex) - Ragless and Penfold families (West Sussex)

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 September 10 18:14 BST (UK) »
Richard Warin son of Walter was baptised at Arlesey on 19 June 1547. There was also an Elizabeth Waryne daughter of Lawrence baptised on 12 Sep 1540.

There are no Warren marriages in Arlesey, although the marriage register only starts in 1559

Other than member submissions I can't see any reference to the Arlesey Walter Warren being Walter de St Marin Warren.

There is no marriage in Maulden PR transcript of Richard Warren and  Joan West on 7 Feb 1573, or on any other date. I was going to ask how it was verified that it was Richard from Arlesey who married in Maulden, but without a marriage the question is hypothetical. There was a Richard baptised in Maulden on 12 Dec 1591 (not c1601) who was probably the Richard who married Elizabeth Miller on 19 May 1625 (not 1626)

Thomas, son of Richard and Elizabeth was baptised on 7 May 1637 at Maulden

Still working on them, but must dash now as I have a meeting with a barman

David

Offline croz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 September 10 18:28 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for taking the time to research ...much appreciated !

Martin

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 17 September 10 08:12 BST (UK) »
How was it established that John Warren baptised 1673/4 in Maulden was the John Warren who married 22 miles away in Yelden?

With the reservations I expressed yesterday regarding Richard Warren in Maulden I think there's more work to be done to establish that it was Richard baptised 1547 in Arlesey who was baptising children in Maulden.

I've been unable to find anything on the early, pre parish register,  Arlesey Warrens

David

Offline croz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 17 September 10 10:14 BST (UK) »
Good question - wild assumption on the part of whoever created the information on the familysearch database, probably ......... :-\

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 17 September 10 10:25 BST (UK) »
If it was all taken from the IGI/Pedigree Resource file then I'd be looking hard too at Mary Fortescue baptised in Warwicks and married in Yelden; and at Elizabeth Warren baptised in Yelden but allegedly married in Gloucs. I have enough trouble proving that my ancestors who married two villages away are really mine, let alone a marriage halfway across the country!

I've seen too many two out of three ain't bad scenarios - the name and date fit so it must be OK - never mind the place, which is in the wrong part of the country.

Online trees should carry a government health warning!

David