Author Topic: Non-Conformist Chapel  (Read 1186 times)

Offline FrancesStickley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Non-Conformist Chapel
« on: Thursday 16 September 10 14:56 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I read some documents recently that told me my relatives visited the non-conformist chapel in Bristol aroun the 1850s. I was wondering if there was any chance travellers would/ did use these chapels in those days? I don't have any firm evidence they were the decendants of Romanys, just rumours. One of them also records his occupation as 'going about with a donkey, cart and pans'. Any idea if this might give me any clues?

Thanks so much everyone.

Offline CitizenSmith

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Non-Conformist Chapel
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 September 10 15:24 BST (UK) »
Hi

Yes - Gypsies did sometimes marry and have their children baptised in non-conformist chapels, as well as parish churches. They would choose the place of worship where the minister made them most welcome.

The description of your ancestor certainly sounds like he was a hawker. But that alone doesn't mean he had Gypsy blood. You need to look for additional evidence such as a typical Gypsy surname, unusual forename and signs of mobility - children recorded with a wide range of birthplaces in a census return, for example.

Best wishes
Sharon
Smith - East Anglia & Lancashire
Taylor - East Anglia
Draper
Hope
Shaw
Gray
Boswell
Lovell
Robinson
Chilcott
All Blackpool Gypsies
"Royal Epping Forest Gypsies": ball-giving group
"Borrow's Gypsies": the people that the novelist George Borrow (1803-1881) knew and wrote about

Offline FrancesStickley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Non-Conformist Chapel
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 September 10 15:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for your reply, that's really helpful.
Don't have too much to go on with this particular lot as half of them were deported to Australia but there have been some unusual christian names such as Keziah and Nehemiah. I also found someone from the married-line of a relative in a Travelling Wild West show.

The thing about this particular bunch is they were quite stable in Bristol and consistently Plasterers so I think I'll have to go a bit further back to find out if the stories are true!
The family name was Stallard.

Thanks again, Fran.