Author Topic: Looking for my ancestor Christian Robson of clan Gunn (I think!)  (Read 7916 times)

Offline helenastark

• RootsChat Extra
  • www.helenastark.com
    • View Profile
Looking for my ancestor Christian Robson of clan Gunn (I think!)
« on: Friday 17 September 10 22:35 BST (UK) »
  I am looking for my scottish ancestor Christian Robson born 1613 in Scotland. I beleive that he is a Robson of clan Gunn but I am not sure.

This is what I know anyway: (I am looking for more facts about his family in Scotland, I know most of his whereabouts after he left Scotland...)

Born 1613 (or maybe 1615) in Scotland.
  Left Scotland to become a mercenary soldier in Germany during Thirty Year War.
  He married a German woman, Catharina Bertel (1624-1694).
  They moved to Sweden, he worked as a merchant before he became a foundry proprietor at Malingsbo bruk in Dalarna, Sweden.
  Christian Robson changed his name to Robsahm when he moved to Sweden.
  Christian and Catharina had 11 children.

He died in 1685 i , Malingsbo, Dalarna, Sweden.

Do you kow more about him? Where did he came from? Do you know anything about his parents / family?

I am interested in ANYTHING concerning Christian Robson or Robsons of clan Gunn.

Please, feel free to e-mail me at (*)

I am writing a book about this ancestor of mine.

If anyone at this forum need help to do research in Sweden, I will gladly help you!

Thank you in advance / Helena Stark in Sweden

PS/ The picture is a painting of Christian Robson painted in 1678 in Uppsala, Sweden. / DS

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php
One of my ancestors were the scotsman Christian Robson born 1613, who became a mercenary soldier in Germany before he moved to Sweden and settled at Malingsbo bruk where he died 1685.

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for my ancestor Christian Robson of clan Gunn (I think!)
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 September 10 01:20 BST (UK) »
You are quite right, it is the Gunn Family or Clan  Celtic rather than Gaelic or Pictish.
Their motto is Either Peace or War
The areas in which they settled were Caithness, Orkney, Kirkwall which I believe is Argyll, the Shetland Isles and specifically Braemore (Known as the Robson Gunns) Killearnan, Kildonan
They were in a feud lasting centuries from before the late 15th c. to recent times when the feud was settled by a formal treaty of friendship in 1978.
They also had a running battle with the Grahams I think.
There are Family History Societies who hold parish records who may be able to help if you cannot find info either on Scotlandspeople or the IGI
marcie
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 September 10 01:23 BST (UK) »
Forgot to say that Scotlandspeople is a pay per view.
will cost 6 credits in total  for each item. Birth, Marriage, children (However many they had) and death

Will be doing some research myself on SP tomorrow, will see if I can find anything at all.

marcie
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline helenastark

• RootsChat Extra
  • www.helenastark.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 September 10 08:22 BST (UK) »
  Thank you!! It was interesting facts, I will look into that.

Itīs fascinating, because I have been doing research about this Christian Robson for more than a year and always got stuck on this vague clue about Clan Gunn (and even Robson Gunn). But I am not sure that itīs the right clan...

Last night, after posting here, I found another family tree online that I have never seen before. (htt://kristinsweedler.com) and I saw that Christian Robson had a father / grandfather named Jacob Robertson of Struan, born 1566 in Struan barony near Atholl, Scotland of clan Donnachaid. Physician in Stockholm, died in 1652, buried in Spånga church.
  I have seen information before about a possible father of Christian Robson, named Jacob (Johansen) Rubsaem, born 1587.
  That makes sence.
  Jacob Robertson born 1566, his son (Christians father) Jacob Rubsaem (like a latin version of Robson) born in 1587 and finally Christian Robson born in 1613.

Is there anyone out there who knows more about this family? Or about this clan Donnachaid?

Thank you!

// Helena
One of my ancestors were the scotsman Christian Robson born 1613, who became a mercenary soldier in Germany before he moved to Sweden and settled at Malingsbo bruk where he died 1685.

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 18 September 10 09:02 BST (UK) »
Before 'attaching' him to any clan you need to establish his birhplace.

SP has only 1 baptism  record that comes close to the name

30/09/1627 ROBISON CHRISTAN son of JAMES ROBISON at   LINLITHGOW /WEST LOTHIAN

There are no records for the name Jacob Robson or variations of the surname (using rob*n)

Offline helenastark

• RootsChat Extra
  • www.helenastark.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 18 September 10 09:09 BST (UK) »
Yes, of course. You are right. I am just so excited!!

I have three different facts about his birth:
  Most  likely he was born 1613 - but I donīt know where.
  Second: he was born 1615 - itīs possible.
  Third: some people say that he left Scotland for Sweden in 16th century, but that sounds more like his (possible) grandfather Jacob Robertson of Struan who left Scotland to work as a physician in Stockholm, Sweden.

So..... what to do next?

I would like to search different archives in Scotland, but I am not familiar to them. You need credits to search and so on. Here in Sweden we use subscription and you can search as much as you like for a while.
  I am also not familiar to the system to search, but I guess Iīll learn if I try...  ;)

Thank You for all the help!!

Offline helenastark

• RootsChat Extra
  • www.helenastark.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 18 September 10 09:37 BST (UK) »
Hi again!
  I searched the Scotlands People for Christian and found this guy.... might he be "my" Christian??

(Date of birth:)24/12/1613   (Surname:)ROBISOUN   CHRISTIAN   (Parents:)JOHNE ROBISOUN/CHRISTIAN HENDERSOUN FR319       FALKIRK   /STIRLING   479/00 0020 0025

I had only 10 credits, and I donīt know how to search for him really...

/ Helena

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 18 September 10 09:55 BST (UK) »
You will need to find out when Jacob moved to Sweden and find out if the family are established there.

Offline fifer1947

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 18 September 10 10:58 BST (UK) »
Jacob/James are often used for the same person so I wouldn't discount Christian the son of James if he fits your time frame.  Jacob being the latin form of James.

I have one James or Jacob in my own tree, which made him a tad difficult to find.
Ireland, Co Antrim: Kerr; Hollinger; Forsythe; Moore
Ireland, Co Louth: Carson; Leslie
Ireland, Co Kerry: Ferris
Scotland, Perthshire/Glasgow:  Stewart
England, Devon/Cornwall: Ferris, Gasser/Jasser/Jesser, Norman