Author Topic: Lindsell/Linsell/Lynsell surname  (Read 24242 times)

Offline boxoffrogs

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lindsell/Linsell/Lynsell surname
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday 04 June 19 13:06 BST (UK) »
Thank you Mark, I was hoping that you might reply! :) Rebecca Kettley's mother Sarah Quilter is my 5th Gt Aunt, that's one link!! Did Daniel have siblings, that might help with my other loose ends, and are you on Ancestry?!
Sue
Essex/Suffolk and further afield where linked - Partridge, Elliott, Beckwith, Lewsey, Owers, Appelton, Josselyn, Sewell, Lindsell and loads of others!

Offline paperlighthouse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Monday 26 August 19 20:50 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I know this thread was started a while ago and I have only just stumbled across it.

My 3rd Great grandmother was Lucy Lindsell born 1818 in Wixoe Suffolk. But she married William Young, a carpenter of Braintree Essex. They lived in Bocking.

Her father I think was John Linsell of the Wixoe Suffolk area.

Any connections or anyone who could share information with would be wonderful. I would love to delve deeper into the family history.

Thank you

Offline crystalight

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Happy Hunting
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Monday 26 August 19 21:02 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Unfortunately I can see no link to 'my' Lindsell family in Essex, as it does not date back before William born 1874.
I hope someone else on here can help you.  :)
Oakes and Rance - Cheshire
Wright, Teesdale, MacWhirter -Sussex
Wright, Wooldridge and Little - Surrey and London
Grimes - Middlesex and Surrey
Cardy - Surrey
Broyd, Hanch and Lazell - Essex
Bradshawe - Hampshire, London and East Indies
Hearsey - India (British Army), Cumberland and London

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline boxoffrogs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Tuesday 27 August 19 12:30 BST (UK) »
Hi paperlighthouse,
I have Lindsells linking in to both sides of my tree in and around Braintree, and I have been on a mission to try and make sense of it, even if they're not related! The problem of the surname having a fair few spellings is challenging too.

I think I have them around Braintree from c1750, intrigued that out in Suffolk, though maybe came from more Braintree way. Ultimately they could be from Lindsell village itself.

I can see her on the 1841Census in Bradford St Bocking as a female servant to a banker family - interesting that there's also a criminal record for a Lucy Lindsell for Larceny by servant the following year 1842 - sentence 6 months (if that is her), then she didn't marry til 1847. I'll see if I can trace a link backwards.
Essex/Suffolk and further afield where linked - Partridge, Elliott, Beckwith, Lewsey, Owers, Appelton, Josselyn, Sewell, Lindsell and loads of others!

Offline boxoffrogs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Tuesday 27 August 19 12:56 BST (UK) »
further reply:
1841-1871 census sees Ann Lindsell/Lyndsell, Lucy's mother as head of the family with a variety of other siblings. Father John died 1838.
The Webb family tree on Ancestry has John's father being a Jonathan Lindsell c1751 ? d1827 Wixoe - so from that I dug around a little and found that he married an Elizabeth Underwood in Sturmer on 22 Oct 1790 - daughter Elizabeth Underwood Lindsell married Charles Plumb, and John Lindsell married Ann Plumb - so pretty sure correct family.
As for Jonathan Lindsell, I can find a bap to Wethersfield, Essex for 1774(born 1752), states he was baptised aged 22yrs but u/v, also no parents listed.

Offline Vance Mead

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Wednesday 28 August 19 12:56 BST (UK) »
I suppose this surname originated in Lindsell, Essex? Here is an Augustine Lynsell, husbandman, there in Common Pleas, 1483.

Second entry:
http://aalt.law.uh.edu/AALT3/E5/CP40no885A/bCP40no885Adorses/IMG_0170.htm

Essex. William Hendon versus Augustine Lynsell, of Lynsell, husbandman; and William Christenman(?), of Maldon, skinner. Debt.
Mead - Herts, Bucks, Essex
Pontifex - Bucks
Goldhurst - London, Middx, Herts
Kellogg/Kelhog - Essex, Cambs

Offline boxoffrogs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Wednesday 28 August 19 18:58 BST (UK) »
perhaps it's a case of the chicken and the egg, which came first?!! ;)
Though searches say the Essex place name refers to 'dwelling amongst the lime trees' - "lind" + "sele" that existed at the time of the Domesday Book.

However, I have seen some links to Lindsey, very hard with past accents and non conformity in spelling, to see if this is a variant of Lindsell. ???

Just yesterday my first vague DNA Lindsell link (5th-8th cousins) popped up, so I am trying to verify the link, sooooo many Lindsell :P. The core of one group seem to be around Great Bardfield late 1600s and into Braintree 1750s onwards.

ps amazing document find, I can only just make out the names!

Offline English Ancestors

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Monday 02 December 19 04:40 GMT (UK) »
My surname is linsdell and I’ve traced the family back to Debden and saffron Walden but it looks like the further I get back the spelling of the surname get a bit more varied. To be fair it’s very rare for somebody these days to get the spelling correct, especially over the phone, Lonsdale, linsdale, linsul, etc

I would be interested to the origins of the name, Any history of the family in that area if you could share

Thanks

Rob

Offline boxoffrogs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Wednesday 04 December 19 23:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rob, I've not gone that far across with my Braintree area Lindsells, though they do stretch down to London.
I believe earlier on the thread someone referred to possible origins for the name. What dates are you working with for yours?

Sue