Author Topic: Lawyers  (Read 801 times)

Offline modette

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Lawyers
« on: Wednesday 06 April 05 21:43 BST (UK) »
Hi.
I wonder if anyone can help me with this small problem.

Would anyone know where I would be able to obtain lists of London Lawyers from the 19th Century. Recently found out an ancestor was a lawyer but can't think where to start looking for info about him and his profession.

If you can help..........Thank you

I am looking for info on the following names<br />Harvey             Brown<br />Jenkins             Head<br />Sheldrake        Williams<br />Moulding<br />all from the East End of London<br /><br />Also any information about a Dutch subject Albert Merles who appears on the 1901 census

Offline percy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Be Just and Fear Not
    • View Profile
Re: Lawyers
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 April 05 11:55 BST (UK) »

If you know his name, dates and town or city, you could begin by looking in the Post Office , Trade, or other Directories of the period.

Percy
HEWITT :  ROSA : (FULLER)SANDYS  :

Offline ryan

• RootsChat Veteran
  • (Pictured) My G-G Grandfather Thomas John Hill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 April 05 12:34 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Are yo sure that your ancestor was a Lawyer, and not a Sawyer? I have been missinformed on a census return (not from Rootschat, mind ;)) that an ancestor of mine went from being an Ag Lab for over two decades on two previous census returns, to being a Lawyer on a third. When I requested an image of the census return I read the occupation as Sawyer. Coincidently, on his daughter's marriage certificate (about five years after that wrongly-interpreted census return) his occupation was again, Sawyer.

I just wanted to make sure that you're certain your ancestor is a Lawyer ;D

Good luck with your research!!

Ryan.

:)
HILL/BURKE/BELCHER/BIGNELL/BADHAM/COX/BLAKE/YELDHAM in London
HOPKINS/HART/MATTHEWS/MUNSON/FARLEY in Exeter & Mid Devon
FEREDAY in The Potteries & Tipton
ADAMS/MUSCUTT/ELSBY/BRIDGENS/BURKE/BELL/RAINBOW in The Potteries
O’CALLAGHAN/O’BRIEN in Cork
BURKE/FITZPATRICK in Birmingham
HOPKINS in Shaftesbury
YELDHAM/RAVEN/MUNSON/BIGNELL in Essex
BLAKE/CHANDLER in Wickham Market, Suffolk

Offline chasbaz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 April 05 15:53 BST (UK) »
Good point, Ryan.

In England, lawyers are not usually referred to as such - they are likely to be described as a solicitor, notary, barrister or King's/Queen's Counsel [a KC/QC, nicknamed a 'bencher' or a 'silk']

Charles
Bazalgette, but mainly not FH information.
Has written a biography of Jean Louis Bazalgette - "Prinny's Taylor"

Offline modette

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 April 05 23:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Guys.

On the marriege certificate I have got, it definetly says that my ancestor was a lawyer. Maybe he was scottish or something.....don't they call their solicitors lawyers?

This has definetly given me something to ponder on though. Maybe a bit more research is in order.

Thanks for the help
I am looking for info on the following names<br />Harvey             Brown<br />Jenkins             Head<br />Sheldrake        Williams<br />Moulding<br />all from the East End of London<br /><br />Also any information about a Dutch subject Albert Merles who appears on the 1901 census

Offline chasbaz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 08 April 05 16:23 BST (UK) »
I suppose that 'lawyer' could be used on documents as a general term. 

You could check the records of the Inns of Court, such as Middle Temple, Lincoln's Inn, Gray's Inn etc.  I found the librarians at the first two very helpful.  There are also Law lists and a publication called Men of the Law.  Another place would be in the alumni lists of the universities.  A good reference library should be able to help with these.
Bazalgette, but mainly not FH information.
Has written a biography of Jean Louis Bazalgette - "Prinny's Taylor"